back to article Microsoft's Windows 10 build list snowballs for Lumia mobes

Microsoft has tentatively opened up its Windows 10 Technical Preview to more phones, after its initial list back in February had been extremely limited. The software giant's Gabe Aul said in a blog post on Friday that its builds-for-mobes list was merely preliminary. "[A]s Windows Insiders I wanted to give you the visibility …

1. ElNumbre

Having seen how (un)stable the Windows 10 for Surface Pro 3 devices is, I think I might wait for later builds of Win10 for the Lumia 930.

1. big_D Silver badge
      Facepalm

It is a beta after all, that means by its very nature that it will be unstable. It is there for public testing. If you don't have a test machine / device and are not willing to report bugs, you should avoid it at the current time.

2. Bloakey1

"Having seen how (un)stable the Windows 10 for Surface Pro 3 devices is, I think I might wait for later builds of Win10 for the Lumia 930."

I totally agree. in my experience it should be ready when Windows 11 or 20 or whatever they will call it arrives.

Be smart, let others do the 'Beta' testing.

1. Longtemps, je me suis couche de bonne heure

Who are these 5 down voters? Surely it is obligatory as a Reg reader to have a sense of humour?

I can only assume these 5 must be trolls of some description

2. John P

We've found things to be a bit hit and miss with the desktop builds so far, the 9926 build was pretty stable on both my Lenovo Helix and my boss' Surface Pro 1, bar running them both a little hot.

However, build 10041 has caused nothing but problems on the Surface but no longer runs hot on the Helix, however it does now have some slight font rendering issues in services.msc.

As much as I like to be on the cutting edge, I think my 1020 will be staying on 8.1 for a little longer.

1. 101

Anyone know if these options will be available?

1. Refuse upgrade, free or not.

2. Try it out, and rollback if not satisfied.

1. Michael B.

I'm not sure about the released version but for the preview there is an official rollback procedure using Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

The full set of steps are here:

http://www.windowscentral.com/roll-back-windows-phone-81-windows-10-preview

2. big_D Silver badge

The upgrade is always offered, it never installs without your okay. At the moment it is a preview build, so it won't even be offered, unless you sign up for the preview programme.

Nokia / Microsoft have rollback tools available. I ran the 8.1 and 8.1.1 dev builds on one of my phone, but it wasn't getting Denim, so I reset set it back to 8.1 using the Nokia tool and got Denim after the reboot.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is that a photo of Fred Little and Eddie Large ?

1. Khaptain Silver badge

I mistook Nadella for Tom Cook, thinking that it was just some El Reg irony. The other guy could have been Wozniak after a haircut and shave...

4. HAL-9000

@ Mine's a Guinness

Spooky? I think that is syd and eddie ... Do we have a celeb look-a-likey corner

5. Mikel

A lot of diversity

It is good to see third party OEM devices figure prominently in this early list as first class citizens. It should help allay concerns of some parties that competing with Microsoft on hardware when they are providing the software platform as well might be ill advised.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 10 is really just a new UI and some common runtime DLLs

1. GitMeMyShootinIrons

OK with me.

Beneath the garish, uncomfortable frock, Windows 8.1 is actually pretty solid. Even if Windows 10 really is only a fresh lick of paint, then I don't have a problem with that.

1. mark jacobs

Re: OK with me.

I am really starting to have my doubts about Windows 8.1 after a year or 2's usage. IE11 can still bring it (and the mouse pointer!) to a stand-still. Sometimes, stuff that would work faultlessly every time in XP or &, will fail inexplicably under 8.1, and then run fine when re-run. I trust Win8.1 less than I trust 7. And I trust 7 less than I trust XP. With Win10 patching itself as you run it, I am less prone to trust it at all!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

"Windows 10 is really just a new UI and some common runtime DLLs"

So I take Apple and Google rewrite the entire code ground up for every release

3. Longtemps, je me suis couche de bonne heure

It did come out very quickly, so I guess you are right - still Vista under the hood.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Since when did the old Nokia Lumias suddenly get named just Lumia.

Copy and Paste of a Microsoft Press release, doesn't even name the old Nokia products 'Nokia Lumia' properly.

What's interesting in all this, is the difficulty Microsoft are having in attempting to upgrade the current Windows Phone userbase. Its as though, there was never any future forward planning regarding Windows 10, as regard to the hardware.

Anyone would think their original plan was to cut off existing Nokia users, to force users to ditch and switch to a new Microsoft Lumia. Trouble is, given the backlash of the fiasco of the Windows Phone 7 - Windows Phone 8 'non upgrade' and the rumours they were about to do the same - they are (admittedly) are trying their best to make these older 'non upgradeable' phones - somewhat upgradeable.

Will this result in 'useable' Windows 10 experience for older Nokia phones? My guess is no.

1. returnmyjedi

Re: Since when did the old Nokia Lumias suddenly get named just Lumia.

One of the conditions of Microsoft's acquisition of Nokia's devices division was that every time they referred to a Lumia as a Nokia Lumia, Nadella has to give Elop a bag of Doritos and a peck on the cheek. Hence the slightly revisionist nomenclature in the aforementioned list.

1. keithpeter Silver badge
        Windows

"...Nadella has to give Elop a bag of Doritos..."

@returnmyjedi

Elop's paunch looks huge there - even worse than mine - there must have been a lot of bags of Doritos exchanged over the years.

Seriously: I think it is good that MS are releasing public betas like this.

2. Longtemps, je me suis couche de bonne heure

The magnificent 5 re-appear

8. u600213

So I guess Windows 10 will be perfectly cromulent?

1. Bloakey1

"So I guess Windows 10 will be perfectly cromulent?"

Cromulent! My dear sir it will be the sweetest, brightest, bestest, coolest, richest featured, simplest, loveliest, quickest, and nicest to use OS that has ever been seen.

Errr, when you say cromulent, do you mean to use or to look at?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like