back to article If you can explain what 'an API management platform' is, you too can be worth $700m

Cloud software company Apigee has filed IPO documents and plans to raise $86m on a total valuation of $700m. The San Jose-based company touts "an API management and predictive analytics platform," whatever that is, and boasts clients including eBay, Adobe, AT&T, Citrix and the BBC. Competitors include giants IBM and Oracle. …

1. web_bod

Does API mean something different now?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Maybe it has to do with bees?

Also,

"creation of new applications that pull into more customers"

I know that, In Amurrica™, one can "pull into a gas station". But how do you "pull into more customers"? Sounds painful.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re: But how do you "pull into more customers"?

I think it involves pulling them closer to you while you push something into them or penetrate them

2. ecofeco Silver badge

"I know that, In Amurrica™, one can "pull into a gas station". But how do you "pull into more customers"? Sounds painful."

It's kinky Murica pr0n. See, sex sells, doesn't it?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Definition of API Management Platform

It is a Platform for managing API's.

There, I hope it's clear now.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Definition of API Management Platform

HIRED!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*Boogle*

How can a company with not much history (it's a young company), which is losing $60M a year, at an apparently increasing rate, be worth $700M. *Boogle*. If it is "just software" it's not even like they have a monopoly on "analytics in the cloud".

Tech Bubble 2.0.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: *Boogle*

Simple. They know the right people.

That's not cynicism, that's the truth.

4. Lyndon Hills 1

MS have this?

This sounds a great deal like something Microsoft have - called API management, in Azure.

Lets say you're the BBC. You have lots of data with a set of services to return query results. You want to sell this, with maybe different rates for the number of queries per month, more detailed results = more money etc. You could build your own tool to manage this stuff (with the analytics) or you go to Apigee.

The valuation is presumably based on speculation that this will become a big money spinner and Apigee will get a slice.

5. ecofeco Silver badge

API's

Definition - API, an abbreviation of application program interface, is a set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications. The API specifies how software components should interact and are used when programming graphical user interface (GUI) components.

So they've just added another, what, layer? How... convenient.

/sarcasm

I say we all go back to Assembly!! Separate the talent from the poseurs!

/RANT

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

having worked for one of the big 4 API management firms i still have no idea what it is

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like