back to article 'Get your privacy policy down to one page': AVG CEO throws glove down

The Register caught up with AVG (and ex Mozilla) CEO Gary Kovacs at Mobile World Congress last week. AVG is talking up its Zen security product – a sort of mobile device management for the home – which Kovacs says is extending to cover Internet of Things (IoT). “You will be able to manage your wearables as well as the key …

1. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Go

“Get your privacy policy down to one page in a language that everybody understands"

And NO hypertext links. We know lawyers love matryoshka-style documents.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: “Get your privacy policy down to one page in a language that everybody understands"

and none of that "this document is subject to revision without notice; the version in effect can be found at http://now.we/ve.got.you.by.the.balls " shit that tries to conflate "contract" with "blind man's buff"

1. ratfox

Re: “Get your privacy policy down to one page in a language that everybody understands"

If you ask Google to do it in one page, they'd basically have to write: we do anything we want with your data.

Just the list of Google products is probably over one page by now…

1. Peter2 Silver badge

American lawyers may like long documents, but Solicitors do not like long documents. (or at least, the ones I work for and correspond with don't!) emails, letters and contracts are masterpieces of brevity which are ruthlessly pruned to the minimum size possible.

A document ten times the length has on average ten times the likelyhood of containing an exploitable error. As with coding, functions ten times the required length make finding errors ten times harder.

It also takes ten times longer to explain them to a customer, which is not desirable when you offer services on a fixed fee basis instead of an hourly rate.

2. jason 7

Some sensible words there from a CEO

Now if he could just trim his AV suites down to the bare minimum of annoyance and user complexity it will be a win win.

Less is more.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

From your photo...

Being a Baldy i can spot a syrup at 50 paces....thats a wig, isn't it?

4. KjellBjarne

One page?

Probably a good idea to change your own policy _before_ going public with this shit. AFAIK AVG's own policy is still a million miles long, and not an easy read. Combined with the fact they need every permission available on my andriod-phone to install, i remain sceptical, and continue to rely on myself to avoid malware. Also, KNOX got my back!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: One page?

Wow, it is long. Marketing fail, hahaha

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For Facebook it would be easy

They could get it down to a single line.

"You're privacy on facebook is an illusion, you have no privacy and unless you are on a list of friends and family of Mark Zuckerberg, you have no rights to privacy and don't demand it that demand will go on unheard!"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like