back to article Hawking thesp Eddie Redmayne and Snowden doc Citzenfour win Oscars

Citizenfour – the documentary about master spy blabbermouth Edward Snowden – and Stephen Hawking biopic The Theory of Everything have won Academy Awards. Brit thespian Eddie Redmayne took Best Actor for his portrayal of theoretical physicist Hawking. Citizenfour took home the prize for Best Documentary Feature. The Reg will …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a moment

I'll let Daily Mail illustrate the night's top moment, before any lego awards were handed out:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2964616/American-Sniper-Chris-Kyle-widow-Taya-describes-exhaustion-emotional-Oscars-night.html

Clutching her husband's dog tags and holding back tears, Chris Kyle's widow said she wished he was with her as she walked the red carpet for 'American Sniper' at the Oscars on Sunday.

Taya Kyle said her husband would be 'blown away' by the support the film has received

1. Anonymous Coward
  2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everything is awesome is AWESOME!

It's certainly different from usual winners, but it's not always that I watch the end credits of a movie five times in a row just to listen to the music. Thankfully, someone has since put a one-hour loop of it on YouTube. I've never taken cocain, but I understand the effects are similar.

1. ratfox
      FAIL

Re: Everything is awesome is AWESOME!

It did not, however, "triumph in the Best Song category", unless by triumph you mean "happen to be at the top of the list in the linked page, just above the actual winner" which was "Glory" from Selma.

4. Tim Almond

Not about Nerds

Not seen either, but from what I've heard, these films are not about nerds, they're just about a character pushed into a standard Hollywood (and more specifically Oscar-friendly) narrative.

The BBC made a decent film about Hawking called, Hawking, about 10 years ago, that is a mix of the man and his work, with some stuff in there about the creation of the universe, big bang and enough to make anyone who was curious to delve into the work of people like Penzias and Wilson.

The Oscars overlooked the really good nerd movie of the year, Interstellar, a movie people will be watching long after most of the Oscar bait that gets nominated.

1. Andrew Moore

Re: Not about Nerds

I think Interstellar got best effects.

2. Toltec

"The BBC made a decent film about Hawking called, Hawking, about 10 years ago"

Which no one else seems to have mentioned, odd given that Mr Cumberbatch was playing the lead...

3. Paul Naylor
      Thumb Up

Though I loved The Theory of Everything, the BBC version, Hawking, stands on its own as a brilliant piece of drama. One of my favourite scenes was the famous face-off with Fred Hoyle when Hawking told him "the theory is wrong. I worked it out".

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spaz, is the new sexy!

What with that 'my left foot bloke' and now Redmayne blagging an Oscar for playing a 'Handicapped', it seems clear to me that any Brit actors or Actresses who covet such awards had better brush up on their 'tics' and 'st-st-stammering' to ever have a hope of getting one again.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Spaz, is the new sexy!

As Kate Winslet says in extras - "play a crip and it's a guaranteed oscar"

6. Stevie

Bah!

And speaking of man-in-the-middle hijacks I'm still trying to figure out how a movie about Edward Snowden invokes Dr Martin Luther King in any way, shape or form.

1. PleebSmash
      1. Stevie

Re: Bah!

Gotcha. And there was I thinking that the presenter was merely making (yet another) comment with respect to the lack of an avalanche of nominations wrt "Selma".

I stand corrected.

7. JoanneHob

Best Actor

Professor Stephen Hawking, played superbly by Eddie Redmayne was brilliant. I really believed it was 'Hawkings' as a young man. It was romantic, very touching and incredibly acted by all. Theory of Everything (Oscar winning) earned $250,000, can you imagine? i'm not sure, but taken from this source - http://networthcelebrities.com/eddie-redmayne-net-worth/

New movie Danish Girl is also worth watching. Great movie which reveals transsexuality problems.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like