back to article Even China's Academy of Science thinks wearables are privacy problem

Researchers from the Chinese Academy of Sciences, the Australian National University, h Dakota State University, Sydney University and Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) have looked over the state of play in the Internet of Things, and find that concern for privacy is lacking. …

1. Ole Juul
    Trollface

Privacy problem

Is there a "house arrest ankle bracelet" app? I smell an opportunity here.

2. solo
    FAIL

Research?

How about reading decade old news papers or even fiction novels or reading the forum posts here?

I guess 'research' has to find a new word for itself.

3. jake Silver badge

"h Dakota State University"? New one on me.

The rest? No street cred at all. (China? Australia? Really?)

Most folks with any security sense have pooh-poohed the entire concept of "IoT" since it's very conception.

Non-story, at least from my perspective.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ya think?

Thankfully wearable's are being banned in many places already. It's amazing just how ignorant and sheeple like some clueless people can be to buy this crap.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Not so fast

It's Google Glass that's being banned (where that is happening, and not all that common) because - surprise - people don't like being filmed by people they don't know. Wrist thingys for cardio measurement and such are on the uptake and I see no reason for those things to be banned.

5. CJ_in_AZ

Sounds like a great reason to NOT have an exercise monitor, he says lazily. ;-)

6. Chris G

Hmm, What?

None of the people I talk to who are not directly involved with IT ( and a few who are) have any clue of what I am talking about when I mention privacy issues with such technology as the IoT or anything else for that matter.

So it really doesn't matter ( according to them).

Nothing will be taken seriously by the supporters of the IoT until there is significant public awareness and concern, I think that may be a long time coming.

I read somewhere that the ignorant are blessed with blissful lives.

7. hoola Silver badge

Other People's Privacy

The real can of worms here is that wearable tech is starting to infringe on other, completely unsuspecting, people. Who knows what is inadvertently being filmed, collected or whatever by techno-geeks that are incapable of exisitng without clutching some sort of electronic device. The more that video and NFC come into this, the greater the risk to the unsuspecting population as a whole.

Trouble is that at the moment there is no way of knowing it is in use around you or stopping it.

It is the same old thing where very clever boffins, who are completely out of touch with reality design/invent/discover something. The knock-on of that is then completely out of control as commercial of policitical motives take over and mindless idiots jump on the next must-have bandwaggon.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like