back to article V. R. R. Stob's magnificent saga A Game Of Dog-and-Bones

Laud Satya Nadella stood at the leaded casement of his garret, contemplating the ominous, brooding sky to the south. The flag over the Maeiouster's Hub Complex barely stirred in the still air, so that he could not only see the sigil of his once-proud house - gules and vert oblongs accroupis sur a respectant brace, azure dexter …

1. Alister

Yay!!

STOB!!

Verily, Verity, it hath been an age since you last graced these hallowed pages.

1. jai

so long, in fact, that i'd given up reading El Reg on a daily basis. very glad to have a Stob article to read to get me through having to work is week. my Xmas has come early!! :)

2. Anonymous Blowhard

Rose Tinted?

"a pair of spectacles that nearly runs SharePoint"

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rose Tinted?

Best bit of the whole article. Microsoft's problems encapsulated in a single clause.

3. hplasm
    Thumb Up

There should be a Prize

For this work alone!!

Brilliant!

4. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Happy

Malus aforethought

Yea verily, Verity!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Thank you, Verity

I was just about to comment on the re-design thread on the seeming (coincidental?) lack of stories worth reading, when I saw yours. Perhaps I'll wait until after Christmas before complaining.

6. GregC

Fantastic

That is all :)

7. Woza
    Thumb Up

Nailed it

Superb writing.

8. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

If there had been patents of litigation ...

...would the lawyers have been riding skinned dire wolves? After all, "A barrister always flays his pets."

9. Sid_the_Kid
    Thumb Up

And what a joy to read another of V.R.R.Stob's marvellous missives. Made my day...thank you, Ms. Stob.

10. jake Silver badge

STOB!

Welcome back to your second home!

(Most folks here have no idea what Dr. Dobbs Journal is/was.)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Your politics are showing.

The picture is from the scene that "Game of Thrones" had to reshoot. Look closely. It is G.W. Bush. The producers "just happened" to have a prop of GWB's head laying around.

The new DVD's don't have that picture. So I guess I have a collectors item. I doubt it will be as valuable as the original "White" album though.

1. Swarthy

Re: Your politics are showing.

That is an El Reg stock image, from when they ran the story about HBO having to re-shoot that scene. Much like the use of the head in the show, the re-use of this image is about economy, not politics. El Reg didn't want to create/commission/beg/borrow/steal a new GoT-related image; HBO re-used the head because those things are bleedin' expensive, and they didn't think anyone would recognize the re-cycled shrub.

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

I switched to w3m almost completely* for El Reg (cuts both the white wastelands and immense immages from the Monstrous Makeover). The alt text displayed for that image is Bush in Game of Thrones; hardly a hidden attempt at political manipulation.

*I do use the "night theme" on xombrero from time to time, but something on El Reg seems to kill xombrero regularly, even without js)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The picture is from the scene that "Game of Thrones" had to reshoot."

If the Reg is paying for rights to use the piccy, wouldn't it have been cheaper and delivered better image quality by asking IS for a rights-free picture of a real head on stick?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The perl is the final interview...

... with the interviewer who already knows everything....

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

<likes>

14. ElReg!comments!Pierre

truly nice

Good read on an otherwise extremely dull day.

15. SoaG

"a pair of spectacles that nearly runs SharePoint"

As long as nobody gets any ideas about glasses that run Power Point.

16. Disko
    Coat

Thank you for this fine wordsmithing...

...or is it wordsmiting?

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Thank you for this fine wordsmithing...

Wouldn't that be Flay, Spay or whatever that new Facepointbookpower MsThing is called

17. Frumious Bandersnatch
    Thumb Up

foreshadowing

Heh... on reading "Maeiouster" in the first paragraph, my first thought was "that's an awful lot of vowels". The buildup to the extremely bad pun ("disemvowling") at the end was very well wrought.

18. AceRimmer1980
    Devil

WinTen is coming

whether you want it or not.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: WinTen is coming

Really? I thought it was just breathing hard.

19. Trixr

I missed this!

Still dying at "Malus aforethought" and all the rest.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like