back to article FCC to smack Sprint with $105m fine over 'cramming' – report

US mobile carrier Sprint should expect a hefty fine from the Federal Communications Commission for overbilling its customers, say sources with knowledge of the agency's plans. As first reported by the National Review, the FCC is preparing to vote on action to be taken against Sprint over its role in "cramming" – the practice …

1. Ole Juul

a rose by any other name

Why is is called cramming? Wouldn't most people just call it fraud?

1. Mark 85

Re: a rose by any other name

It probably is a term used first by the sales force. See https://www.google.com/#q=cramming+definition

Yeah.. the term 'fraud' works for me.

2. DavCrav

"Why is is called cramming? Wouldn't most people just call it fraud?"

Phishing, double dipping, phreaking: fraud is just too boring, it needs to have a nice catchy name.

1. ratfox
      Holmes

Cramming is more precise

Like "murder" is more precise than "crime".

3. thomas k.

jail time

Start putting CEOs in jail (instead of just fining the companies) and this sort of thing would stop PDQ, I'd think.

1. Ole Juul

Re: jail time

I don't think so. The unethical side of this business is too lucrative. Perhaps a case could be made against investors for being complicit and maybe some of them incarcerated too? .... Nah. That wouldn't do it either. However, if the government started practising forfeiture of money or assets gained through the proceeds of crime, then we might get somewhere.

1. OffBeatMammal

the penalty needs to outweigh the potential gain.

make those defrauded/over-charged or whatever whole again plus a percentage (10% - 110%) for harm done. couple that with corporate fines plus potential personal fines and jail time for where-ever the buck stops, be it the CFO who approved the loophole or the board who encouraged "creative accounting"

if the risk far outstrips the reward (and the changes of being caught are significantly higher than today) then they'll play nice (or get even more creative!)

1. Tom 13

Re: then they'll play nice (or get even more creative!)

That kind never play nice, so sadly you second option will be the rule.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't implement the changes you have suggested.

2. Old Handle

Ban the entire corporation from doing any type of business for the same length of time a natural person would have gone to jail.

1. ian 22

It seems the Supreme Court has ruled corporations are people, if so, banging one up would be quite entertaining. In this case the phrase 'criminal enterprize' is redundant.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's just the cost of doing business

If you can steal $300 Million annually and only be forced to give back $105 Million once, most people can understand that crime/cramming pays quite well. Until they fine companies triple revenues for the time period and send all of the executive level management to prison for 5+ years, this illegal practice of consumer fraud will continue. Ask Microsucks how profitable consumer fraud can be.

5. Mike 16

Not surprised

Back in the day (80's or 90's) my employer's Telcom manager caught them loading up our bill with bogus long-distance charges. I guess they hadn't noticed that some of the new PBXs logged all calls.

Of course, they promptly removed the offending charges. I still have to wonder what happened to other customers with less-paranoid managers.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like