back to article Slough or Antarctica? Well, at least Antarctica has penguins

The expats we've met to date in our series have taken us to all sorts of odd places, but none quite as remote as Antarctica, which is where this week's traveller Kevin O'Rourke managed to land a job right out of uni. He's also called Nigeria home, and now resides in Sweden. One's dangerous. One has liquorice coated in …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

qe?

"Mostly I just like spending the weekends relaxing with my husband."

-- Kevin O'Rourke

1. eurobloke

Re: qe?

So? He has a gay partner. This is Sweden remember

Interesting, Kevin in which area of Linköping are you living in? From the description I think you live near the city centre in and around S:t Lars Kyrka, because that is really nice part of town. The rest of the city is a mixture of '40s to '70s low rise (approx. four-storey high blocks) housing estates like Ryd and Jammerfest or "flat-pack" stuga-style houses which are common in Östergötland.

On a serious note, Linköping together with Södermalm in Stockholm is really the two hubs of the Swedish IT industry. Södermalm or SoFo is mostly the sort of app or software stuff like King (makers of Candy Crush) or Spotify. While Linköping, with its links to the University is home to more of the practical IT stuff and is home to the "Swedish Computer Museum" (a room in the Östergötlands Länsmuseet). However, the big local employer is SAAB aircraft so hence the military link here.

Salmiak, mumm yummy, but here in England that are bloody expensive or not salty enough.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: qe?

> or Spotify.

Eh, they're in Östermalm, and always have been. You'll find most serious IT companies are in and around Östermalm/Norrmalm.

2. Tom 7

That liquorice thing

that like the Marmite response but on a nuclear scale. You either really love it or have to go to war to make people pay for that shit.

3. Tim Warren

If you want to know what it's like in Antarctica

http://antarctic-monkey.blogspot.co.uk/

A blog written by an old friend of mine from his year+ spent there as an Electronics Engineer & Meteorologist. A very good read and some excellent photos.

4. Mephistro
    Angel

"He's also called Nigeria home."

Nigeria Home? That's the most stupid name I've ever heard!

;-)

5. LINCARD1000
    Thumb Up

That's pretty awesome, would have loved the opportunity to work for a while in a place like Antarctica if for nothing else but having the experience. Sadly I don't think such a remote location is conducive to married life (at least not when you still like the person you're married to...).

Hope you and your husband are very happy together in Sweden, Kevin :-)

6. earl grey
    Unhappy

that liquorice is pure poison

Put it out for the rats and get some normal allsorts.

7. RyokuMas
    Coat

Poetry...

"Come friendly bombs and fall on Antarctica..."

Nah, just doesn't quite have the same ring.

I'll get me coat.

8. What? Me worry?
    Trollface

Don't knock the salt licorice

There is absolutely nothing wrong with salt licorice. Wonderful stuff. Now, about that Fazer Tyrkisk Peber that the Finns like... blaargh!

1. eurobloke
      Mushroom

Re: Don't knock the salt licorice

Tyskisk Peber? You have never tried Malaco's Djungelvrål, now that is seriously salty. Makes your mouth go really tart.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like