back to article Gorilla Glass maker gobbles Samsung's fibre optic biz

Samsung is selling off its fibre optics business to US smartphone glass supplier Corning, including production facilities in China and South Korea. Naturally, the companies didn’t share the terms of the deal, but Corning said it expected to complete the acquisition in by the end of the first quarter next year. Corning, which …

1. Arctic fox
    Unhappy

I fear that a certain degree of translation may be required here:

"Once we are joined by Samsung Electronics’ experienced workforce, I look forward to the team building out Corning’s global scale and scope to better meet customer needs for innovative fibre optic solutions.”

We won't sack all of you immediately of course but be afraid, be very, very afraid - and of course "cooperative", hmm?

2. Adrian Harvey
    Headmaster

Best Known?

"Corning, which is best-known as the manufacturer of Gorilla Glass"

I suspect that they are *much* better known for Pyrex, or even for CorningWare. :-) They've been making it since 1915! You might get away with 'gets more mentions on el Reg for Gorilla Glass' .

Pedant icon because I'm being pedantic.

1. AlanS
      Holmes

Re: Best Known?

And they've been making optical fibre for over forty years, too.

2. MrRtd

For us in our 30's or older, would think Corning is best known for their former household products such as CorningWare, but today's younger crowd especially in IT would think equate Corning with Gorilla Glass.

1. Dani Eder

Corningware is still manufactured by Eurokera, which is partly owned by Corning, Inc. The marketing is done by a third party, however. Eurokera also makes glass cooktop surfaces, another product which is designed for thermal shock.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like