back to article George.Best walks into a sex.bar, spots a bearded dwarf sysadmin and thinks: Warcraft.cool

Nearly 10 million locked-away domain names will be set free and go on sale over the next two months. But before you get excited, take a look at a list of them – beware, it's a huge CSV file. Among the very occasional gems like sex.bar, george.best or warcraft.cool, there are literally millions of utterly worthless domains …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

similar to releaseing 1.0.0.0/8

Because 1.1.1.1 instantly became a muti-gigabyte sink.

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge
    Pint

Distracted,,,,

several thousand *.beer entries.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I vote for resolving the lot of them

Then people will fix it.

1. nevstah

Re: I vote for resolving the lot of them

no, they wont, they'll just complain/sue/spit dummies until the media and politicians get hold of it and pass some ill thought out law that makes the whole lot unworkable

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: I vote for resolving the lot of them

no, they wont, they'll just complain/sue/spit dummies until the media and politicians get hold of it and pass some ill thought out law that makes the whole lot unworkable

It's a sad reflection on society that you are probably correct.

4. phil dude
    Coat

silly names can be yours!!

this is going to sound very obvious, but we could all crowdsource our own name->IP mappings.

Not for everything of course.

But imagine the fun!! www.google.com could be www.darth.vader just for my household ;-)

Who's with me? I think the profanisaurus might be useful here...

P.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: silly names can be yours!!

You mean setting up a CNAME on a DNS server?

5. Dr Paul Taylor

ICANN should not be allowed to sell standard English words (.home .book etc) as top level domain names. If we really must have this nonsense then it should be restricted to trade marks that have already been registered in the old fashioned way.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I predict a lot of embarassing situations

Caused by typos.

7. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Indefinite deferral

The gTLDs .corp and .home were "deferred indefinitely" due to the huge number and frequency of name collisions. They'll never be resolved by the public DNS system.

I endorse this move, and suggest ICANN extend it to around 100,000 more of the most common English words and abbreviations thereof.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like