back to article YIKES: Combination of LIVING WOMAN and MACHINE sighted in NYC

Intel has announced the release of a new smartwatch slash bracelet thing-a-ma-jig aimed at "fashion forward women". Mica, which stands for My Intelligent Communication Accessory, was unveiled at an event in New York last night. The "feminine communications accessory" will go on sale in early December and offers access to …

1. ratfox
    Facepalm

Oh man

They just had to show as example of message the Four Dreaded Words, which make every husband/boyfriend quake in fear…

1. Lionel Baden

Re: Oh man

Exactly what i thought as well !! not sexist at all

2. Owain 1

Re: Oh man

I thought that, then I saw it was from 'Sis'... and since my wife and her sister spend 'quite' some time on the phone, perhaps it's a simple statement of fact.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SLW

"Have you seen Britany? She's still wearing that bracelet she had on at the premier last month."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: SLW

That MICA thing looks chunky; it will date very quickly. How long before these things start surfacing at Salvation Army counters? And the linux crowd goes to town on them? You know... for Shits'n'Giggles. The least they could have done is design the thing to be flushable.

3. Efros

MICA.. someone needs to shoot the acronym wallah.

4. Alistair
    Coat

portrait or landscape

watch messaging systems just plain don't work oriented that way. Stupidity reigns.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: portrait or landscape

It's not for you to read - it's for everyone else to see that you have one

5. D@v3

orientation

This isn't the first wrist based device that seems to have the screen (or at least the content there on) facing the wrong way. To me, that looks like you're going to have to be contorting your hand, to be able to read what's on it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: orientation

Screen the wrong way round? No, it's optimised for the maps app!

2. ratfox
      Paris Hilton

It is considered fashionable for women to wear their watch on the inside of the wrist, and to check the time by holding the forearm straight, with the wrist daintily bent. This avoids the unfeminine move of raising the elbow to check the watch on top of the wrist.

So this is very much the best orientation for an elegant watch for women.

1. Purple-Stater

"It is considered fashionable for women to wear their watch on the inside of the wrist, and to check the time by holding the forearm straight"

A LOT of people where their watch on the inside of the wrist. Primarily because you tend to not bang (and scratch) the dial against things while you're working (evolutionarily speaking, also why primary blood vessels are on the inside of the arm, where it's much softer skin; it just doesn't get banged about as much).

6. Frankee Llonnygog

Start the countdown

Remaindered on eBay in, what, 6 months?

7. HmmmYes

Clunkier, less stylish and more power hungry than Sinclair's first digital watch.

10/10.

8. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Snake skin?

Most women I know would want nothing to do with snake skin.

Alas the bit "Intel is hoping that women are eager to strap a rather flashy, blinged-up gizmo" quickly disappointed me when I read it was the wrist upon which the gizmo would be strapped on.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bound to sell well...

Perfect for when you want to lie back and think of England check Facebook

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wish the marketing droids would stop putting the word "My" in front of everything.

It was pretty naff to start off with. It's just plain tacky now.

11. DNTP

You know on Star Trek or something where a guy ends up with a little phaser that can only mildly stun, and he has to go up against some giant robot with a plasma cannon or an invincible reptoid type?

That is me with my robust yet inadequate sense of sarcasm trying to compete with all these stupid watch things.

12. CrazyLikeAFox

Charging via microusb?

Is it just me finding the charging mechanism poor? What about cordless charging methods (Qi or PMA)?

13. Purple-Stater

Transmorphic?

I can't wait to declare myself to be a "Combination of LIVING MAN and BOVINE" the next time I wear a leather belt.

14. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

It's Just Bling

It's just jewerly, like those itsy bitsy watches you need a microscope to read the dial

15. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

cutting?

Mica features "cutting-edge design"

Really? I don't see any.

Now, my Leatherman pocket tool - that thing has some cutting edges. Why, I cut stuff with it all the time.

16. cortland

And snakeskin

Fangs for the memories.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like