back to article TPP takes another tiny step forward

Intellectual property negotiations remain a key roadblock in the ongoing Trans Pacific Partnership negotiations, according to a statement released after the Beijing meeting of trade ministers and negotiators. While the 12 nations' heads of government agreed to “make concluding this agreement a top priority”, the leaders' …

1. Big-nosed Pengie

They used to have laws about treason.

1. phil dude
      Holmes

yes but...

that was before they decided the laws didn't apply to anyone

a) in government

b) formerly in government

c) Media Stars

d) Professional Sports persons

e) who professes family relationship from a) to e), including anyone descended from the murdering, thieving bastards who call themselves royal.

In short if you are reading this, the laws are meant for you and you alone.

P.

2. dan1980

"While the 12 nations' heads of government agreed to “make concluding this agreement a top priority”, the leaders' statement somehow neglects to mention a timeframe."

So . . . what, exactly, are the benefits for the 11 nations (i.e. excluding the US) that has us wanting to conclude this agreement as soon as possible?

Personally, I would have thought that making sure the agreement is beneficial to the country and its citizens without removing or curtailing their rights would be the top priority but we all know that is not the case.

But of course we can't actually see or know any of this, we just have to trust the government that it's all square and in our best interests. What's that they keep telling us about us having nothing to hide and nothing to worry about if we've done nothing wrong?

Oh right, that doesn't apply to you. No, you don't have to provide asylum-seeker numbers or define the term 'metadata' or explain how you're going to change our laws in secret, closed-door deals.

And that's what really gets me. The TPP is an agreement about how we, the citizens, will be treated and it is being discussed and negotiated and agreed to without even telling us what we're being signed-up for.

Ho hum. What a bunch of smug, self-important so-and-sos.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

The TPP has until Steven Harper and his conservative fuck brigade are removed from office next year. At that point the TPP negotiations will be cancelled by the winning government as Canada withdraws.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Trevor, at least you can detect a difference, further south I couldn't on election day. Still can't.

2. MrRtd

I seriously doubt that Canada would withdraw, even if the Liberals or NDP takeover next year.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Both the Liberals and the NDP are committed to doing withdrawing from the TPP. While I don't believe that those in charge are exactly trustworthy, several of their minions (the ones who actually run things) are. My discussions with them directly have been remarkably productive.

I believe either party would be adequate to our requirements regarding the TPP. Though personally, I believe the Liberals have the more rational overall economic policy, so I'll be choosing them.

3. nematoad
    WTF?

Who?

" ...that will promote creative and technological advances that will benefit all of us."

The question in my mind is: who are the "us" in this statement.

If this stitch-up was really going to benefit the general public then why all the secrecy.

It looks like this is going to benefit someone, just not the citizens of the countries concocting this deal.

4. croc

"It's worth noting that controversial investor-state dispute settlement (ISDS) provisions aren't mentioned at all in the report to leaders, perhaps indicating that these provisions have been signed off by the 12 countries involved in the TPP negotiations. ®" I propose replacing 'dispute settlement' with 'inequality settlement for most of the world, or 'inequality leverage' for Obama and Key...

5. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

And the good news...

This is already resolving itself in a way that they won't like, but was entirely predictable. When I was a nipper people thought most laws were reasonable and tried to keep within them. They were usually proud of the fact. These days there are so many obviously stupid regulations that nobody seems to care at all. Many people do just what they like and shrug at the thought of being caught. They don't for a moment consider possible consequences. The continued public excesses of the overpriviledged just accelerates the process.

1. Sludged

Re: And the good news...

We have definitely descended to the point where our "betters" are telling the rest of us to do as they say, not as they do.

6. Kamal Hashmi

For the European/US version - you can do something....

https://stop-ttip.org/sign/

7. DerekCurrie
    Devil

TPP is Customer Abuse On A Global Scale

YES media oligarchy. You HATE your customers. We noticed. You treat us as DEFAULT CRIMINALS.

So you need a global treaty to remind us? I don't think so.

To hell with TPP in entirety.

1. Gray
      Trollface

Re: TPP is Customer Abuse On A Global Scale

As a point of reference (only one of many) the Blessed 1% reaped 95% of the gains during the last three years' economic recovery in the US. Captive politicians quietly endorse the Trans-Pac Partnership on behalf of their overlords. It's not unreasonable to think that any move to withdraw from the TPP would quickly be crushed. Disregard the golden rule* at your peril.

The peasants object? How droll ...

*gold rules

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like