back to article Does Father Christmas expect a happy ending with Clara in Doctor Who?

Shaun of the Dead star Nick Frost will appear in Doctor Who's Christmas special as Santa Claus. Youtube Video Viewers of last night's finale on the Beeb will have seen Frost arrive at the entrance to the Tardis as a deadpan Father Christmas, after the Doctor's cryptic farewell with Clara. Coo-eee! [knock, knock] Hello. [ …

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Ready, steady, ho-ho-ho

I doubt there's any need to run a Crimbo sweepstake on how scathing Brid-Aine's review will be.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Im rather hoping that the xmas episode will bring a regeneration, clara will stay gone and the announcement of new writers. Its pretty much been the worst season/series i think they have made to date. It wasn't just one thing that made it that way, but largely the plots been the biggest let down, it sort of fells like the writers now pick bits from here and there, mix them together and go F it that will do... or that's how its coming off to me.

Now i know why they leaked as many episodes as they did...

Ok maybe im being mean with the regeneration, but i dont warm to the new doctor, but i think again largely this is down to the writing, but still i have a nagging feeling that maybe i never will.

1. Chris 3

Alternatively, Capaldi's been the best doctor for while and the writing has been imaginative, with a good mix of scares and laughs and a nice bit of nuanced character writing. In addition the plots have gone back to comparatively simple but entertaining story, compared with the overly baroque 'the doctor save the entire universe again this week, with some time-whimey paradox which is never fully explained'.

3. Efros

in the words of the philosopher "s'all bollocks innit?". The finale was probably two of the better episodes this time around, but it wasn't classic stuff. I don't think the Doctor/Clara combo works and I'm hoping it's done, maybe it's time for River Song to get hitched.

4. heyrick Silver badge

Here's betting...

...that in an attempt to create a workable episode of Dr. Who, Moffat and Co. will destroy Santa for millions of children.

"Santa, which everybody knows is an anagram of Satan, is really a Dalek encased in a Cyberman body, with glue-on facial hair and oversized red clothing. Etc. Etc. The huggy-feely-cryy Doctor is rendered useless by its very presence. Well, then, it's lucky we have Strax, who doesn't give a toss about fairy tales but would rather just blow something up. BANG! Bits of red cloth fall through the sky (and, look, it isn't Total Eclipse Of The Heart), it is SatanSanta, now very dead. Merry Christmas you little bastards, now do what your parents tell you and shut it."

5. Chris King

If I was Santa, I wouldn't be so subtle...

"Lying toads, both of you ! You're getting coal again this year !"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Come the fuck in or fuck the fuck off!

The more the register shits on Dr Who by being incapable of following the simple logic of a tv program, the less likely I am to believe in their abilities to comment on technical matters!

1. ukgnome

Re: Come the fuck in or fuck the fuck off!

Oh c'mon, a few of the journo types are worth a read. Granted I mean Page, Haines and Dabbs

All the others are a bit meh!

7. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

what's in a name

As the credits rolled, I saw "Santa - Nick Frost."

Not being overly familiar with the actor, I thought "Really? A bloke named NICK FROST?!? cast as Santa Claus? At the time, I was unsure if that was a marvelous and/or amusing coincidence or a lame joke. Thanks to the article here, I now know I had previously seen Mr. Frost in "Shaun of the Dead" and therefore my initial assumption of amusing coincidence was correct.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon