back to article Apple's strap-on will set you back just '$5,000' – what a BARGAIN!

When Apple unveiled its vaporware wrist-tablet Watch, fanbois braced themselves for a bit of sticker shock. The starting price for the smartwatch will be $350, which will get you a "sport" model with a rubber strap and an aluminum case. But Apple CEO Tim Cook promised his faithful that more reassuringly expensive models will …

1. Amorous Cowherder
    Pint

I would say "Fools and their money...", but each to their own. I've spent tens of thousands on photographic kit for nothing more than just a hobby or "A bit of a laugh to keep me off the streets!" as I often put it, so I've no grounds to mock the trinket buyers. We all get our jollies wherever we feel we need to.

1. big_D Silver badge

If you are spending that much on a watch, you expect it to last 20 years +...

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Only 20 years? According to those Pathetique Phillipe ads you alwasy see in the Economist, you don't buy a watch for yourself, you look after it for your children. Although it doesn't say if you can break it in half to share between two...

Obviously one should really have inherited one from ones father. Surely there can't be that many loathsome prolls whose parents failed to give them the proper start in life with the inheritence of a multi-thousand pound watch. Then again, you'd really need parents considerate enough to die around your 18th birthday, as it's going to be awkward to insist your father's around to tell you the time until he dies when you're in your 60s.

You know, I'm not sure they've thought this through...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What they also do not tell you about expensive watches is that quartz ones will usually require the battery changing at a cost of £70-150 every ~2 years or for the self-winders they will usually recommend a service every 3-5 years costing £200-350ish.

Now my Omega chrono was not serviced for about 5-6 years but by that time it was certainly not as accurate. So yes these watches may last but they are not necessarily any cheaper to own even compared to an iWatch you replace every 2-3-4+ years.

But saying you would only keep the Apple watch 2 years is probably worst case - most iPhone buyers are much more likely to buy a new iPhone next time and even keep the same one well beyond the standard contract.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Some may want their parents old watch as 'retro' or for another more sentimental reason - but chances are they will want a smart watch in 15-20 years time.

Guess my kids may want my vinyl record collection - but doubt it...

3. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Chisel, hammer - half each.

Simples.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

20 years for a watch costing from about £200-250... of course someone will chime in that they have had the same Timex since they were a kit and it's all they need - but very little like this lasts 20 years of daily use. Even Rolex, Patek and other high end watches typically need servicing which greatly increases their total cost over 20 years.

2. Herby

Look, for a watch anything over about $20-$30 is generally jewelry anyway. It used to be that you had to pay big bux for an accurate watch, whereas nowdays accuracy can be had on the cheap.

That being said, some people NEED status and order up silly things like Rolex devices, and of course they remain hidden under sleeves only to appear when the time is right to show "status". The same will be said for the Cupertino Wristslabs, just something to show status.

Me? I have a 15 year old Seiko thing with a simple twist-o-flex band. I've replaced the battery many times.

Yes, I also have a fit bit thingy that my (is there a message here?) wife gave me for my last birthday. Probably all I really need.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Hm. I have a Citizen Eco-drive, because I can't be bothered to replace batteries or set the thing or deal with daylight "saving" time. Technology does march on.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Over a perdiod of 20 years that watch will keep it's value, even gain value in some cases..

The iPhone will be worth next to nothing. The iPhone is not jewellery it is just a minor fashion item.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Watches keeping value over 20 years

Not sure that's true any more - there are so many 'high end' watches around that they're almost becoming commodities. This year's limited edition Hublot is next year's has-been manacle.

Take a look at second hand watch prices; much like cars, buying a 2-3 year old one will get you a useful saving, and, much like cars, high end watches don't really evolve quickly. After all it's big news if Rolex bring out a new dial colour.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Watches keeping value over 20 years

Think traditional watches could end up losing their status / value when you can see what a smart watch linked to your phone can do. Especially when it's good looking so does not look like a kids toy watch as some of the non-Apple ones do.

I have not worn a watch for a few years now (as typically used my phone) (and apart from a sports watch I use for swimming / at the gym) but the Apple Watch looks good (yes that does matter) and critically adds functionality to my phone. If I can leave the phone in my bag / coat for many things then that's a win. If it can monitor activity etc. then it may replace my sports watch - another win.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Quite the opposite - you compare a cheap Casio as an example that it does not cost much to get accuracy - agreed. But the Apple watch adds a ton of functionality - it's not 'just' an accurate watch.

If I were Omega / Rolex and the other brands selling stainless steel watches for £2500 I'd be concerned about a good looking, quality AND functional watch for 1/10th that cost. The other smart watches are pretty much a joke in comparison.

3. Scott Earle
    FAIL

Gold-plated?

Why do you keep saying the Apple Edition Watch Edition (Edition) will be gold-plated? It has been stated by Apple that it will be made of gold. Just the raw materials for the case will cost several thousand dollars, so why try perpetuating the myth that it is going to be plated in 18k gold, when Tim Cook stood on stage and stated that their metallurgists have come up with a process to make the gold case harder?

Their own website states that the case is made from 18k gold: http://www.apple.com/watch/apple-watch-edition/

So please stop spreading the myth that it is gold plated. You've done it at least twice now.

Also - if you are going to compare the price against a Rolex, why pick a stainless steel one? They do make gold watches too, you know. Scared that people might see the $15,000 price tag of the Rolex and say "oh, that Apple watch might not actually be all that expensive when compared to other watches made of the same material, after all"?

(In other news: Apple has a team of metallurgists? That's pretty cool in itself)

1. jaduncan

Re: Gold-plated?

They make a lot of metal stuff. Not employing material scientists would be insane.

2. returnmyjedi

One of the reasons for the high cost of a Rolex is that they are hand built in Switzerland, which tends to have slightly better working conditions than Foxconn et al. Hopefully Apple will either pour a fraction of their war chest into having the watches built either in a factory with decent working conditions or have them built in the US a la the Mac Pro.

1. lazyfatboy

Rolexes aren't hand-made. The vast majority of work involved in their construction is automated, with a small amount of hand-finishing/assembly. The reason they cost so much is that Rolex has now a well- (and expensively-) advertised brand image and people are willing to pay high amounts. There's not much relation of their cost to the cost of manufacture - they're a classic example of Veblen goods http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good

Working conditions in Switzerland are certainly way better though, and wages much higher.

1. David Webb

Rolexes are valuable and stay valuable, in 10 years time your £10k Rolex will still have value of several thousand, your iWatch will be obsolete tech so will just have the scrap value of the gold, in 100 years time, the Rolex may be worth more than £10k and will still be working, the iWatch....?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Except you may have to pay £200-300 every 3 years to have your Rolex serviced to keep it working and it's still just going to tell them time. I really do imagine a future where your watch can be used to pay for goods, billing for public transport, locks on your car / house etc. etc.

And your Rolex will just tell the time. With smart watches you may see high end watch values taking a tumble - a bit like film SLRs - literally worthless within a space of just 5-10 years as digital took over.

2. TheOtherHobbes

Why don't Rolex buyers just have a $10k to $50k lump of gold surgically implanted in their foreheads?

Or would that be - I don't know - too showy and vulgar, or something?

1. Otto is a bear.

Vulgar or Something

I think you'll find a lot of them would if they could, but then money never has been an indicator of taste.

Sadly ownership of a Rolex isn't a good indicator, but the lump of gold in the forehead, now that does indicate a certain style and class.

1. BenR

Re: Vulgar or Something

And, as an added bonus, it'll make you look like the First Prime of some Goa'uld or other...

"Jaffa, kree!"

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

So moving Chinese jobs to the USA helps the Chinese workers how?

The working conditions / pay may not be the same you enjoy in the US but it may still be better for them than the other option which may be near-enough-subsistence farming?

3. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

The difference between a Rolex and an Apple gold-watch, is that the Rolex is designed to last for the rest of your life. Or at least a good portion of it.

That Apple bling is going to be obsolete in 2 years. Even if you keep using it, it's going to need a new battery in a few more, and those screens don't last forever.

What I want to know is, what happens to the gold case? Or are Apple going to make all their Watches the same size - so that you can just pop it out, and update to the next model?

1. JDX Gold badge

Lots of expensive things don't last as long as cheaper ones. I'd wager a 500k supercar will last far less time than an old Ford Focus.

It's for the super rich, if they have enough money this counts as disposable income then good for them, let them buy it.

1. dogged

> It's for the super rich

At 5K per watch? I really don't think it is.

1. John Tserkezis

"It's for the super rich. At 5K per watch? I really don't think it is."

Considering their past performance on battery replacements, your you-beute $5K gold watch is only going to be useful for several years.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

I'm not sure where this myth comes from - Apple have always been good about battery replacements and their stuff is popular so there are typically going to be a lot of 3rd party options as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

They are quoting the worst case, most expensive, solid gold version which few will buy but is an option for those that want it. The vast majority will buy the equally functional one costing $350 / about £225-250.

2. Flywheel

are Apple going to make all their Watches the same size

Noooo, it's Apple we're talking about here. They'll probably make the next generation of cases a few millimetres different in size, so you'll have to buy a new one. Of course you'll have the option to take your expensive, ephemeral slab into the nearest Genius Bar and have it recycled for you.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So firstly you say 'Noooo' when you don't knoooooow.

Secondly they are already making two sizes and do all these other manufacturers make everything compatible with the next version - so you can take the battery off your 3 years old Samsung phone and slap it in their latest model?

3. Pet Peeve

Actually, they're NOT, except in the sense that it won't fly to pieces.

I had a Rolex for a while - and old one (70s) almost literally fell into my hands along with a lot of mostly junk. I got it refurbished into running order, which cost several hundred dollars. I was going to sell it then, but I liked the way it looked (it was not super-fancy, but very distinguished looking) so I wore it almost daily for a year. By the end of that year it started having trouble keeping time, and sometimes needed a vigorous shake to free up the self-winding mechanism so it would run if it completely ran down since I last wore it (I mean like jump up and down shake, not the usual light wrist movement that is all you normally need for a self-winder).

Assuming that the previous jeweler had done a crappy job, I took it to a much better jeweler, who I told the story, and they said that automatic movements require a lot of regular maintenance. A year or two between major amounts of (expensive) tinkering is about average for a regularly-worn Rolex.

So I sold it, and when I'm not wearing a pebble these days, I have an eco-drive citizen which has worked perfectly for years without refurbishing.

I'm not saying the Rolex wasn't a great watch, it was (just putting it up to your ear and hearing the distinctive sound they make is hypnotic), but having one is a lot like having a vintage car - it will be in the shop a lot and let you down much more often than your daily driver.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Keeping an Omega / Rolex / similar chrono serviced (yes about every 3 years) would cost more than the base Apple Watch - think last service (before I got rid of it) was over £300 and it had to be sent away for about 6 weeks so they could do it / test it for accuracy. Sure it was waterproof far deeper than I would ever venture - but all it did was tell the time and date. If I were to buy a new watch now I would certainly want it to do a lot more.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Gold-plated? 70s rolex

I think your 70s rolex must've had a severe battering as Rolex are known and have been for ages, for making simple, yet exceptionally reliable and accurate movements.

Whether you like the look or the brand image, they are exceptional timekeepers, which is more than can be said for a lot of high end watches (e.g. IWC). And they use in-house movements, rather than putting cheap ETA and Selita movements in expensive, over-sized cases (e.g. Bell & Ross, most Hublots, some IWCs, Schofield et al).

I'd definitely advise you to revisit the brand, they've got some very nice watches in their collection now. I don't work for them...

4. John Tserkezis

"What I want to know is, what happens to the gold case? Or are Apple going to make all their Watches the same size - so that you can just pop it out, and update to the next model?"

As Dr Phil would say, relative past behaviour is a good indicator of future behaviour. Going on Apple's past, it hasn't happened before, so not likely to happen now.

I would hope however, that they have a good workable strategy on firmware upgrades. It's likely the functionality in future won't be in the first version of firmware.

Which raises another question: Current phones don't have 8 core CPUs for kicks you know. We're pushing significantly more out of our phones today than we did in the last 5-10 years... How are they going to increase functionality without an engine replacement? Are the gold watch users of 10 years in the future going to be happy with the same relative horsepower of today?

All this may be moot though, Apple's battery replacement policy has been less then stellar - are they going to allow battery changes after a few years on the $5K gold watch, or are they going to let the third-party Chinese market take care of it?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It links up to the phone and does much simpler tasks - assume the phone (more easily upgraded and with a faster CPU etc.) can do the heavy lifting and the watch does simpler tasks / is an effective smart display linked to the watch. I do not imagine you would upgrade your Apple Watch each time you upgrade your iPhone and even then I see loads of 3-4+ year old iPhones still in use.

This article is about making the worst comparisons - a gold Apple Watch vs steel competitors - the most expensive Apple Watch when the vast majority will go for one costing much less. Phone companies may even bundle the watch and phone (albeit you are still paying for it but monthly instead) - perhaps an extra £10 a month.

But remember it's not as if you HAVE to buy it - it's a useful option - you can just decide if you value it at approx. £10/month (worst case for standard phone over just 2 years). Realistically I'd say these watches are likely to be good for much longer - probably 4-6+ years and probably a decent residual value if you did want to sell after 2 years.

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What a perfect example of a false conclusion drawn from an irrelevant observation. A valid comparison would begin from the observation that the Rolex will do exactly the same thing, day after day, until it fails after becoming unrepairable, and so will the Apple Watch. Such a comparison examines the same characteristic on both. Unfortunately the parent post goes on to fault the Apple product for an unrelated reason -- because a better version enters the market in a relatively short time -- which speaks to poor reasoning skills (or a preconceived outcome), not to an unfavorable product comparison.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If the gold needed for a watch case is worth several thousand dollars, the thing will double as a club. Current gold price is under $1200/ oz (still too high against historic trends) which means an ounce of 18kt is valued at less than $900. More than an ounce and it's getting a bit silly. If the price reverts to trend in the next few years, the gold will be worth around $500.

"Make the gold case harder" - there are lots of 18kt gold alloys which are stronger than plain gold/silver. The plating industry uses nickel as a additive and gets a good wear resistant surface. It is hardly rocket metallurgy. Cook seems to be following the RDF pattern. Personally, I prefer titanium as a case material; it doesn't cause sensitivity, is reasonably light and the mechanical and corrosion properties are excellent. It just isn't the "keep your money under the bed" preferred choice of metal for ignorant poor people in the 3rd world.

5. NeilMc

I totally agree Scott.........................

This article immediately loses credibility as it compares Apple Swatches with say....... Rolexes on anything other than a parity basis. So 5k for a gold Apple Swatch vs 15k for a similar metal Rolex. mmmmm not bad in prices terms but what does that actually mean in terms of function, form or value.......?

Personally having got loads of Apple mobes I see no value in the Apple Swatch at all..... By gen 3 it might offer something that interests me.

Much like other commentards, I spend my money on DLSR's and "real" watches of which I have a few, boys and their toys eh............

But despite my fondness of Apple mobes this is one device I will pass on.

PS: iPhone 6+ camera for movies and stills is fantastic...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple Watch Sport Edition

The starting price for the smartwatch will be $350, which will get you a "sport" model with a rubber strap and an aluminum case.

It isn't waterproof is it?

1. Scott Earle

Re: Apple Watch Sport Edition

See, THIS is more like it. Criticise the watch all you like as long as it's with FACTS.

The sports edition of the Apple Watch is not water-resistant. This is insane, and completely negates the stated purpose of this device.

What were they thinking??

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

See, THIS is more like it. Criticise the watch all you like as long as it's with FACTS.

It wasn't a criticism on my part it was a genuine question as I read an argument between two people online last night as to whether it was or it wasn't.

If it isn't then personally I don't know what they are thinking. That is a basic requirement for one of these devices for me and should be a given if it has sport in the name, but that's just my opinion...

The Moto 360 is still the best looking smartwatch I've seen, but it is too bulky and the battery life is too bad for it to be worth considering at this stage

2. lurker

@Scott Earle

The swimming pools in Cupertino are all filled with dollar bills instead of water anyway, so I guess it just never occurred to them.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I've just read through three pages of pure marketing BS on the Apple Watch website to read up on the three different models and the main difference between the Sport edition and the regular watch edition aside from the plastic strap (which Apple call the fluoroelastomer strap) is that the sport edition uses a worse screen than the standard watch!!! From their website (try not to be sick) -

Watch Sport -

"The display is protected by strengthened Ion-X glass."

Standard Watch (more expensive) -

"Brilliantly scratch-resistant sapphire crystal. Next to diamond, sapphire is the hardest transparent material on earth. "

Shouldn't the sport edition have like the better screen? You know in case you might scratch it diving to the ground when doing actual erm... sport?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Another question? Is it shock & dirt resistant, i.e. can it take a smack against a squash court wall or go into sand onto a beach volleyball court?

Or is it "sport" in the sense of a Ford Fiesta "sport", it has some go faster stripes and a crap ride?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Another question? Is it shock & dirt resistant, i.e. can it take a smack against a squash court wall or go into sand onto a beach volleyball court?

Or is it "sport" in the sense of a Ford Fiesta "sport", it has some go faster stripes and a crap ride?

From what little details they have released it seems to be sport in the sense that it comes with a naff brightly coloured plastic strap. No indication of battery life, whether it is shock proof / dust & dirt proof / waterproof.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Apparently it's water resistant, not waterproof, so contact with water is fine, but it doesn't like any head of pressure (from either being submerged or subjected to a jet of water as in a shower).

http://www.cultofmac.com/295055/apple-watch-water-resistant-waterproof/#RRSMQfT6gmwGV83O.99

I'm not in the Apple eco-system, but if I was I would wait for MK II. Personally, I wouldn't require a connected watch to do as much as the iWatch (an 'iWatch Nano' would be a better fit), but for the point it occupies in the features/size/battery space, it largely appears well designed, software- and hardware-wise.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> No indication of battery life,

The battery life is 24+ hours , not quite sure how much more than 24. But anyhow if it is using a Lithium based battery and is sealed in the usual apple style expect it to fail after 1-3 years.

Unless they use a Lithium iron phosphate or Lithium–titanate chemistry in their battery (10-20).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rechargeable_battery#Types

5. Pavlov's obedient mutt

selectiveness (again)

Nothing like a bit of breathless pseudo-factual tabloid reporting to start the day.

Watch! - made of gold! - costs lots of money! Quel Surprise eh?

The subtle emphasis on the errors (plating) to perceptually drive down the value whilst hyping the price - very good. Your Journalism 101 tutor would be very proud

6. jason 7

Hmmm choices choices....

I could have a Omega Seamaster Professional with change left over or a blinged up Apple Watch for possibly a bit more.

I wonder which will still be working three years later and may have actually increased in value while the other is worth just scrap or £20 for spares on Ebay.

1. Steve I

Re: Hmmm choices choices....

"I wonder which will still be working three years later and may have actually increased in value while the other is worth just scrap or £20 for spares on Ebay."

You can buy broken, solid-gold watches for £20 off eBay? That's amazing.

You know, you haven't chosen wisely by bringing future value into a debate concerning something made of gold. Unless you were actually dismissing the Omega.

1. jason 7

You did see the bit about 'scrap' as in scrap value of solid gold or 'spares' if gold plated?

I guess I need to be really really specific for some. Apologies.

1. Steve I

I saw it - there is no way a solid-gold watch (Apple or otherwise) will be worth £30 in a few years. Working or not. Unless the watch weighs less than 2g or someone finally cracks the secret of alchemy...

(Cue Percy and Blackadder...)

1. Steve Todd

Pure gold is currently selling at about £23/gram. If the gold Apple Watch weights in at only 50% heavier than a Moto 360, and only 50% of that weight is the gold, then that's about £650 in gold on today's market. Unless world prices crash there's no way that it will be worth only £20 in scrap.

Put it another way, try shopping for a plain gold ring, then tell me there's no way that something as light as a watch will have a significantly expensive amount of gold in it.

1. jason 7

Okay let me explain once more for the slightly slow.

I said worth scrap - in which case it will be worth its gold scrap value if solid whatever that may be.

Or sold for spares on Ebay - in which case its just gold plated and worth the (off the top of my head figure) £20.

Have we got that now?

1. Steve Todd
                FAIL

It's already been stated, several times here and by Apple, that the case is solid gold, not plated. Unless you're hard of reading then it is obvious that the eBay price will never be £20. Is that clear?

2. Mike Bell

I could have a Omega Seamaster Professional with change left over or a blinged up Apple Watch for possibly a bit more.

Yeah, but could you stick it up your fanny and have your boyfriend buzz you with it?

On second thoughts, don't answer that question, Jason. I don't want to know.

7. jake Silver badge

Who wears a watch these days?

I can see the time damn near anywhere I look!

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Who wears a watch these days?

>Who wears a watch these days?

Anyone who doesn't spend their days in rooms with with clocks, evidently. I thought you were into horseriding, or is that just Mrs jake?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Anyone who doesn't spend their days in rooms with with clocks, evidently. I thought you were into horseriding, or is that just Mrs jake

He has a clock on the dashboard of his horse...

1. Thecowking

By the shadow of the horse, does he know the time.

By the passing of the birds, does he know the season.

By the passing of wind, does he know the last meal.

1. Otto is a bear.

A watch is just so much more convenient than searching my jacket for my phone, my office does not have a clock, and the car does not actually display the time on it's smart display, unless I replace something more useful. I can't ware a watch at the moment, and I miss it, just a casual flick of the wrist and I know the time.

Mrs. Bear however has never worn a watch, she stops them, so gets on fine without one. I guess it's what you are used too.

2. jake Silver badge

@Thecowking (was: Who wears a watch these days?)

Yep. Your point?

3. jake Silver badge

@ElReg's immoderate so-called "moderators" ... My reply to "Thecowking" was nixed? Really? Why? Was that really against ElReg's rules? Where, exactly. did I cross the line?

Again, @"Thecowking": Yep. Your point?

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Who wears a watch these days?

Not sure what happened there. It's live now, anyway.

1. jake Silver badge

@ gazthejourno (was: Re: Who wears a watch these days?)

You wrote: "Not sure what happened there."

Can we find out? I'm not talking naming names here. I don't personally give a rat's ass who hit the "nix" button. All I care about is allowing folks with an opinion to voice that opinion, as long as it's not outside the rules of the forum.

Seriously, moderators need to be moderate ... if not, madness ensues ...

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Re: @ gazthejourno (was: Who wears a watch these days?)

Jake [2014-11-10]: "I'm on "the naughty step", for whatever reason ... ElReg's site, ElReg's rules. I'm cool with that."

Jake [2014-11-17]: "@ElReg's immoderate so-called "moderators" ... My reply to "Thecowking" was nixed? Really? Why ... All I care about is allowing folks with an opinion to voice that opinion ... Seriously, moderators need to be moderate"

Spot the inconsistency?

8. Obitim

Potential Cross Sellng?

Is there a chance the network providers will offer their customers the option of 'pairing up' when they buy a new iPhone with a suitably enhanced premium if the customer wants the watch as well?

9. Bassey

"If you're comparing it with competing smartwatches such as the $299 Samsung Gear and $350 LG Watch R... those smartwatches are hardly lookers....perhaps the fanbois.....will be willing to pony up...for a smartwatch that actually looks fashionable"

Sorry, are you referring to the Apple Watch? The one they showed at the iPhone 6 Launch? Seriously? I'm not saying the other two are lookers (though I quite like the Moto 360) but the Apple Watch is a hideously ugly slab.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"If you're comparing it with competing smartwatches such as the $299 Samsung Gear and $350 LG Watch R... those smartwatches are hardly lookers....perhaps the fanbois.....will be willing to pony up...for a smartwatch that actually looks fashionable"

I haven't seen the LG Watch R, but every effort from Samsung so far looks like it was designed in 1970 as a vision of what the year 2000 might bring. They all look absolutely hideous. I'm sure though now that a few other companies have placed their cards on the table the next series of samsung watches will take a drastically different tone and look a lot better than their current range of watches that look like something that a student designed in a 1980s polytechnic.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"....In other words, a high-end Apple watch will cost you roughly ten times what you pay for the actual (subsidized) phone you'll have to pair it with."

This price comparison is absolute garbage. Comparing the price of a non subsidised iWatch to a subsidised iPhone6/6+ is pointless.

FYI El Reg, if the iPhone 6 costs £539 to £739 without a contract, the fact that somebody chooses to pay an inflated monthly contract to pay the phone off over two years or not, doesn't lower the price of the actual phone.

1. TheOtherHobbes

It's pointless, but it highlights the issue Apple is going to have with perceived value.

If you're the kind of moron who spends $$$$ on a blinged-up wristy time keeper, you'll go for one of the big name brands, pay the silly money, and have your silly toy to impress other silly people.

But the Apple Watch isn't that kind of blinged-up wristy time keeper. It's basically an iPhone accessory, not an heirloom wannabe.

Apple have always done brilliantly by creating the illusion of extra perceived value for computers and phones. The illusion of being cool and fashionable has been implicit, which is why it's worked so well.

Now with Watch (brilliant name, btw) Apple are trying to make the illusion explicit, and to move the Apple brand out of tech and into mid-market fashion.

Bad move, IMO. I don't think it's going to work, because the illusion only works as long as it's not conscious. And the fashion/status market is so very different, with different rules.

So when a company that basically does tech says 'Oh hai, we r the new fashion leaderz' everyone is going to be like 'WTF? Seriously?'

11. JDX Gold badge

I'm surprised Apple don't team up WITH a brand like Rolex or whoever for the fancy designer versions. Brand is important in that world - gadgets and expensive watches are very different markets.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apple and Rolex

Because Rolex wouldn't want their brand diluted?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple and Rolex

If I were Rolex think I'd be pretty scared. A desirable smart watch that can do so much more for $350 when their base models are around 10x that cost and need battery replacements or servicing that costs as much as the Apple Watch every 2-3 years.

I bet Rolex / Omege etc. were hoping the Apple Watch would be like that Samsung monstrosity - but it's not.

1. lurker

Re: Apple and Rolex

How many recharge cycles do you think the iWatch will survive before it too needs replacement or servicing? At one recharge for 18 hours use on the wrist tablet, my guess is the Rolex / Omega would win that particular comparison.

12. Rich 2 Silver badge

$150 for a watch strap?

Apple are asking $150 for a stainless steel case and strap? Wow!!!!

Ironic really - I wouldn't be surprised if the aluminium case cost more to make.

1. D@v3

Re: $150 for a watch strap?

if you're talking difference between the 'sport' and 'standard' versions, then there is also the addition of a sapphire screen, which probably bumps up the price a bit

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: $150 for a watch strap?

Yeah and these tiny lumps of compressed carbon cost thousands...

Have you see how much decent watch brands charge for their replacement straps - but much of this is guesswork as Apple have not officially released most of the pricing.

13. Ted Treen

Jeez...

"...French Apple news blog iGen.fr cites unnamed sources..."

'UNNAMED SOURCES'???

Boy, that's gotta be accurate, reliable & trustworthy then...

14. D@v3

a real mans watch

I'm saving up for a real watch. The Omicron Spymaster, with knockout gas and a garrote

15. Eddy Ito

All I'm going to say is for that money it had better be capable of calculating my deco stops with at least three different gas mixes and be ISO 6425 compliant.

16. meanioni

I'll stick with my Casio dumb watch ta

Bought for sub-£100, never needs charging as it has a solar panel. Is waterproof to 300M.

Oh and is linked to atomic time signal so the time is right - ah yes, isn't that what a watch is for? :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'll stick with my Casio dumb watch ta

That was what a watch was for... accurate time keeping is the base function - but you can hardly compare that to what an Apple Watch can now do.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I'll stick with my Casio dumb watch ta

Will you be saying that in 10 years time...? In the past watches were simpler as that was all they could do.

17. groMMitt

Killer App Needed?

All Apple need to do is remove the ability of their iGadgets to tell you the time - except for the iClock...et voils - the killer app to end them all!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like