back to article Cloud to kill off legacy apps, says Rackspace CEO Taylor Rhodes

Rackspace president and CEO Taylor Rhodes ascended to the latter role just last month, so when our Sydney bureau was offered the chance for a chat, we jumped at it. Here's what Rhodes had to say about Rackspace's decision to stand alone, what it's like watching AWS and Google fight giants fight and more. The Register: …

1. K

I'd now like to see El-Reg offer the opposing view..

An interesting interview, very much skewed to large Enterprises, little relevance to most SME's. I'd really like to see El-Reg interview somebody without a financially vested interested.

As has been pointed out elsewhere in discussions of similar articles, Cloud has its uses, I've employed it at my company for archiving - but I would never use it for business critical needs, simply because there is not enough accountability or support. My servers are located in a Data Center, by simply picking up the phone I can talk to the person and engineers running the Data Center and NOC.

It was only 3-4 years ago the evangelists were screaming in fanfare that it would be the death of onsite servers. That obviously has not materialized, now they are saying they'll meet onsite servers "halfway" with hybrid cloud.. I'll call "bullshit" to this as well, again it has it uses, but I know very few companies who have a WAN connection fast enough to shift Virtual Machines across the internet at a speed that would be considered "useful".

As for OpenStack, personally I hope it has a good future, VMWare's monopoly means prices are artificially inflated, and the budget I've requested to increase our licensing for 2015 made the Finance team cry! But its far to complex at present, which a large management overhead and not enough support for different hardware vendors.

Perhaps the hybrid cloud will come to full fruition, but not until 1Gb and 10G connections are cost effective for SME's.

2. Canecutter

Purpose-designed cloud applications

To quote the Rackspace CEO: "I think people are now saying they will develop greenfield apps for the cloud purposefully."

If only that would happen. Then we could eliminate the Dirty Little Secret of virtualization and of cloud computing. That is, we would be able to eliminate quite a lot of the overhead associated with those two deployment styles.

If you're wondering what I'm going on about, I am talking about the inefficiency of the hardware emulation required to support the guest operating system instance. I'm talking about the guest operating system instance itself, together with all its upper level drivers, interfaces and abstractions. There's quite a lot of productivity to be wrung out of those deployment styles still.

Of course, to really take advantage of all that, the hosting operating systems will need to provide the necessary API's for resource allocation and release, etc. Also, the community will simply have to settle down and choose an architecture-neutral distribution format for specifying applications and resources. I remember reading about some mobile code research going on at the University of California at Irvine, that looked particularly appealing at the time, and based on what little I can remember, still looks well ahead of its time.

Maybe that is the path to the future, I don't know. Might be worth a shot, though.

3. VinceH
    Coat

"Cloud to kill off legacy apps, says Rackspace CEO Taylor Rhodes"

And what about Lebon?

Mine's the coat that shows my age...

4. GX5000

Sorry but

Anyone seriously putting all of their eggs in someone's else's basket is going to reap exactly what they deserve. I've been exposed to so much hype over the last thirty years it's making me sick in my old age, and the Cloud hype is no different. Go ahead, trust these devils with your valuables and tools.....

5. Dominion

Super....

That is all....

6. James Anderson

Hardware renters don't get it

The most important thing about an application is how accurately the business rules and logic within it reflects the needs and requirements of the business it serves.

So I have an FX trading system written for a VAX in the nineties and ported at great expense to Solaris/C++ at the turn of the century which after years of tuning and augmentation serves the quirks and intricacies of my currency traders and does so at lightning speed.

So I am going to port all this to some monstrous JEE framework and run it on a timeshare complete with a "we reserve the right to change these terms and conditions with written notice" clause in the contract -- probably not!

7. ben_myers

Legacy apps. Like COBOL?

Rhodes is going to have a helluva time convincing all the financial institutions to rearchitect their legacy COBOL applications running with modern front ends. Good luck there!

8. NeilMc

An intereview of a retard by an illiterate

Here's what Rhodes had to say about Rackspace's decision to stand alone, what it's like watching AWS and Google fight giants fight and more.

Rhodes: It is super simple. Cloud is big. It is early stage. The main market has just started moving. We feel super-well positioned compared to others coming at cloud from legacy positions.

We are Super well positioned for a super stand alone super solution to super world cloud super needs. Super, super, super...... pick another word!!!

It is clear that El Reg and the interviewee care very little about the editorial integrity of this piece so why should I waste my valuable time reading it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like