back to article iPhone 6: Advanced features? Pah! Nexus 4 had most of them in 2012

Apple unsurprisingly revealed a new iPhone that'll come in two sizes for the first time: the regular iPhone 6 features a 4.7-inch 1334x750p screen, while the Plus version boasts a 5.5-inch 1080p screen. Both models now feature the Retina marketing tag, but while the hardware might not be revolutionary, Apple’s new iOS 8, …

1. KroSha

I get why the vitriol is spreading, but a large part of the reason that NFC is being included now is because Apple have found a use for it. Sure, they could have included it years ago, but why bother? I can easily see someone querying it in the design stages for the 4S or 5, but being dropped because they didn't have a compelling reason to include it.Now they have Apple Pay, there is a useful scenario, that adds value to the product.

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

NFC was never just payments

There are other user benefits of NFC - device-to-device sharing uses it to authenticate, the Bluetooth 3 specification added NFC pairing, and the technology has other uses in general medicine (particularly medication management for patients) and logistics that Apple have been missing out on because they didn't implement it.

In the consumer electronics space, NFC makes discovery and authentication so much easier than any alternative technology: tap your NFC phone against another to share the current picture, or send contact detais, tap your NFC device on your Bluetooth speaker and it takes over playing your music; tap it on a Miracast device, and your screen is projected onto your TV (Nokia just launched a Miracast dongle with a detachable NFC disc to handle the pairing - you can leave the disc on your coffee table, and the receiver behind your TV; the disc identifies the player and provides an authentication token for the phone/tablet to use when connecting to the player).

1. Edwin

Re: NFC was never just payments

The pairing feature is quite nice, but the 'tap to share' NFC feature on the Lumias is something I use almost daily. Want to share a contact card, photo or web page with someone? Hit 'share', 'tap to share' and tap the two phones together and you're sorted. No hunting for active bluetooth profiles, typing emails or anything like that.

I think there are loads of use cases for NFC. What nobody else has managed so far is to make the payment process work. Apple's ecosystem may change that, and that's what the real news is IMHO.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I get why the vitriol is spreading, but a large part of the reason that NFC is being included now is because Apple have found a use for it. Sure, they could have included it years ago, but why bother?

I've had NFC on my last two Android phones dating back four years now and never had a use for it once. Only place I've seen advertising NFC is at bus stops where you can scan the tag and view a film trailer based on the advert they have there, but it was MUCH quicker saying "ok google film name trailer"

The specifications on this Apple phone are far from top notch and I even sold my iPhone 4 to buy a Nexus 4 the day they came out, but I'm tempted by the new iPhone. Everywhere will rush to make sure they can take NFC payments now whether that be Apple Pay or other and hopefully this will give Google a kick up the backside to release Google Wallet over here, which has been coming soon for as long as I can remember.

Hopefully the bus companies will get a kick up the backside and start fitting NFC readers, so you don't have to use change and they don't have to give you a look like you've killed their first born every time you produce a bank note

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
        Go

NFC Uses

I have some cheap NFC tags from eBay (about a fiver for twelve, if I remember correctly) which I have stuck around the place. So when I sit down at my desk, or in my car, or go to bed, or sit in front of the TV, I touch the phone to the NFC tag and it sets up a complete profile relevant to that location.

Would I miss it if it wasn't there? Probably not. Is it a good use of the technology? Very much so.

GJC

2. h4rm0ny

I've had NFC on my phone for quite a while as well (Lumia 820). However, although I like the idea of it and think it could be great, I've never used it. Apple probably will be a big part of changing that. Not because I'm going to buy an iPhone! But because they will increase uptake of NFC payments.

Apple have seldom been the pioneers of new technology, but they have a very successful history of picking up new technology just when they are ready to move with it and making a big success out of it. Both the iPad and the iPhone are examples of this - the technology to do both existed but was still new-ish. They don't always invent the steam engines, but they're great at knowing when it's Steam Engine time.

If Apple haven't moved on this before, it's because they didn't have the plans and infrastructure in place to make a play for market dominance with NFC payments. Now they are prepared and they'll turn the full weight of their resources on doing it.

The good thing for me as a WP8 user (and Android users too), is that they can't do that without also encouraging uptake of NFC payments for others also.

At least I sincerely hope they don't have some trick up their sleeve to close the market!

1. NumptyScrub

NFC gives me the same feeling as Wifi Protected Setup; my phone had it disabled within 5 minutes of turning it on the first time, like my router got WPS disabled just after I changed the admin password. There is without doubt a use case for the technology, and there is without doubt the potential for exploitation to gain access to the device; indeed my phone model was one specifically mentioned for an NFC exploit 2 years ago. In the fight between convenience and security, personally I normally choose security. If Apple succeed in making NFC far more ubiquitous, then expect far more people attempting to exploit NFC for personal gain :(

What surprised me far more was Apple deciding that the smallest model was going to expand to 4.7", IMO it would have been far more sensible to keep it at iPhone 5 size. Many Apple using friends liked the fact that their 3 / 4 was the size it was and did not like the idea of my jumbo 5" phone, and I now have to wonder what their next phone is actually going to be if their only Apple choices are now that size or larger.

1. tom dial Silver badge

I may be overly cynical, but I do not believe Apple would have bothered with NFC and payment processing unless they had a plan for domination.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"I may be overly cynical, but I do not believe Apple would have bothered with NFC and payment processing unless they had a plan for domination"

I'd go with customer lock in over domination, essentially they waited for Apple Pay to be ready, and will now prevent any other NFC payment applications as they compete with core services (which I believe is in the developer terms for iTunes).

2. SEDT

"Many Apple using friends liked the fact that their 3 / 4 was the size it was and did not like the idea of my jumbo 5" phone, and I now have to wonder what their next phone is actually going to be if their only Apple choices are now that size or larger."

I'm betting they'll stick with Apple and suddenly love those big screens. Now that the fruit tree has told them that they're OK.

2. Mark .

"Apple have seldom been the pioneers of new technology, but they have a very successful history of picking up new technology just when they are ready to move with it and making a big success out of it. Both the iPad and the iPhone are examples of this"

Please check Apple's actual sales in 2007-2008, compared to other platforms/companies.

Symbian dominated until 2011, and the huge growth of smartphone sales came almost all from Android.

Just like everyone now talks to their phones and makes video calls all the time thanks to Apple... Of course, it may well be that some places only introduce NFC now that the minority of Apple users can use it - but I'm not sure that's something to be thankful for, on the contrary, we should be asking why they aren't already supporting the majority of Android users, and why we have to wait years if things are only supported when Apple get round to it.

"They don't always invent the steam engines, but they're great at knowing when it's Steam Engine time."

Steam Engine time simply gets defined as whenever Apple do it, whether it's early, late, or sometime in between. It's the bullseye Apple fallacy - draw a ring round whenever Apple released something, and say "Look, that was the defining point!", never mind what actually happened at the time.

"At least I sincerely hope they don't have some trick up their sleeve to close the market!"

I can see it now - "Pay with NFC!" Let me just pay with my iphone - oh wait, I can't, because like the rest of the world I use Android.

1. cambsukguy

> Just like everyone now talks to their phones and makes video calls all the time thanks to Apple

Hardly anyone talks to their phone, often at least. Those that do occasionally do it in private so that others don't laugh, the phone has half a chance of understanding and the response can heard and not overheard. The most obvious use of speech is while driving and this is definitely not a Siri speciality - I have had to explain to more than one iPhone user that text messaging via speech is baked-in on my phone to which the response is always "How do I do that" (the answer being "Hell if I know - ask the phone"). Even Android users I know have to 'turn on' their speech to use/demo it - either because of battery issues or some invasive nature of it.

Hardly anyone makes video calls, especially on their phone.

Front cameras had/have almost no use at all. Obsessive selfies from narcissists have begun to make them used if not useful, Personally, the occasional shot of oneself as needed is far better taken with the main camera using a clever app (like Lumia Selfie) to bring the high quality of the main camera to bear (and touch up features to make the result bearable).

3. DrXym

The main use for NFC has not been realized

I want to steal the RFID from Skylanders figures and play them back from the phone. Is there an app for that?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The main use for NFC has not been realized

"I want to steal the RFID from Skylanders figures and play them back from the phone. Is there an app for that?"

I already tried. I think it and Disney Infinity use a different protocol standard. When I tried with my S4, I consistently got balked with incompatibility errors.

4. Wiibloke

I agree 100%. Google put technology in phones but truly never do anything with it. At least Apple have added NFC and created a use for it.

Also, more than full HD on a Phone screen. I have a 37" TV which is full HD and that looks great. Anything bigger on a phone is just there for Specs and offers no day to day benefit.

2. DrXym

Stop listing the price on contract

Saying the phone is $199 on contract is meaningless without knowing the cost of the contract. The contract can be (and is) jacked up to cover the price of the phone and plan/cost covering one phone might not be the same as another to obfuscate this.

All that should ever matter is how much the phone costs in an unlocked SIM free state.

1. D@v3

Re: Stop listing the price on contract

Much like amazon's Fire phone. "From Free on 2 year contract*"

*$80pm.

2. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

Re: Stop listing the price on contract

@DrXym

You're missing a possibility. For those that are already under a grandfathered monthly plan that they like, and plan to keep, then their monthly fee might remain exactly the same if they keep their old phone, or if they buy a subsidized phone, in either case remaining under the terms of their existing contract. Just locked in for another two years. Which they'd like anyway.

This is our situation. This is how my lovely wife got a 5S for just $300 a few months ago. So she'll have to wait 2 years for another subsidized phone. But *I* can buy the new iPhone at a discount, and our monthly bill will not change at all. So do I want the iPhone 6 Plus 128 GB for probably $500 or not? Hmmm? Do I want to lock-in my fantastic monthly plan for another two years? Hell yes.

I understand the alternative of going contract free. But in these parts that results in a very low allowance of data, and wandering around looking for free wifi. They end up either not using their phones they way they should, or paying most of what I pay, but they have MB of data, not GB, per month.

There are different solutions for different needs. Or budgets.

3. WonkoTheSane

NFC woes to come

I can see the banks jumping onto Apple Pay, and leaving Android handsets with NFC by the wayside as they have been doing since 2010.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: NFC woes to come

As an owner of an Android phone with NFC, all I can say is, good.

Want to get cash from an ATM? Get your card out

Want to pay for something at a shop without Apple Pay? Get your card out.

Flat phone battery? Get your card out.

You have to have your card with you, so, just use that instead all the time.

1. Piro Silver badge

100% agreed.

Maybe in the US this type of thing is a novelty, but in the UK we already have contactless cards.

Why potentially introduce security issues by having your payment details readily available on your phone, when you can just pull out a much smaller plastic card and tap it instead?

NFC payments work in terms of cards, but I have 0% interest in it for my phone.

1. JaimieV
          FAIL

You're comparing an always-on tap-to-pay card with no security except physical, to a phone that requires your fingerprint to authorise payment.

1. VinceH

"You're comparing an always-on tap-to-pay card with no security except physical, to a phone that requires your fingerprint to authorise payment."

Yeah, because the iPhone 5's finger print scanner definitely wasn't defeated within a few days of the phone going on sale, was it?

1. slhilly

It's a good rule of thumb that every security feature gets defeated. Locks and safes are rated for how long they resist defeat, not for being undefeatable. Chip and pin was defeated within days or weeks of coming out.

But

It's not whole-hog-or-none. Security features can stil be useful. They reduce the pool of attackers with the tools to attack successfully, sometimes dramatically. They slow attacks down. Etc. Touch ID is just an example of this -- not going to concern the FSB or a technically minded organised crime ring, but very likely going to slow things up for a random mugger wanting to use your iPhone

2. ThomH

Re: NFC woes to come (@Piro)

The funny thing is, although the cards here don't even have chip and pin yet, the contactless terminals are widely deployed. I've no idea what they're expecting to talk to; I assume it's an international economies-of-scale thing that would have made it more expensive for American retailers to purchase the ones with NFC taken out again.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I really don't get this obsession with using your phone to make payments (apart from the carriers wanting a cut, that is).

In the Benelux they've had for at least 15 years e-wallets on the chip that is on your debit card anyway.

You load some cash into it (it's an option at the ATM, from your current account to the e-wallet) and because the balance is on the chip, the retailer doesn't need to communicate with the bank to take payment.

Pop your card in the holder, click OK for the amount and you're done. No pin, no waiting for balance confirmation, nothing. The retailer can then transfer their balance to their bank whenever suits them (hourly, daily, whatever)

No fumbling around with change for public transport, parking meters, vending machines, small purchases at corner shops etc.

When are banks in other countries finally going to catch on (or catch up?)

Make my debit card work for me properly please (and for the retailers) and once that's done properly then you guys can dick about with your phones as much as you like.

2. Jagged

Does Apple also charge the Banks 30%?

1. JaimieV

Apple gets between 0.15 and 0.25% commission per transaction. Compared with 2-4% for the card company.

3. DrXym

"I can see the banks jumping onto Apple Pay, and leaving Android handsets with NFC by the wayside as they have been doing since 2010."

I doubt it. Banks probably resent Apple pay as much as the retailers - it's another finger in the pie and ultimately could see the banks becoming the funding source but not profiting from the transaction. Retailers are bound to be hit too with higher transaction fees. Most probably their point of sale systems might cope with multiple NFC payment schemes but they might well resent/favour particular ones if it cuts into their profits.

The optimal solution for bank / retailer would be they continued to issue proximity payment cards and if Visa / Mastercard released a payment app for a phone that the card could be registered with. The finger to pie ratio stays the same as does the transaction charge.

Also from a personal security point of view it seems a bit dodgy to wave around a £600 phone for all to see, particularly if a potential thief knows it's loaded with cash too.

1. Keith Langmead

"The optimal solution for bank / retailer would be they continued to issue proximity payment cards and if Visa / Mastercard released a payment app for a phone that the card could be registered with. The finger to pie ratio stays the same as does the transaction charge."

I think that's kind of the point. It's only being released in the US where as I understand it they don't have proximity payment currently. Here in the UK it'd be yet another system, but in the US there's currently no competition. The differences between card security and mobile NFC security aside (since normal users won't know or care) I assume there must be a reason for the lack of US rollout, perhaps due to more diversity in banks etc across states making it harder to have a single system nationwide (like the old Baby Bell issue with mobile networks). If that's the case then I can imagine banks being tempted to back something like this rather than have to find a way to do it themselves nationally.

4. Tapeador
      FAIL

"I can see the banks jumping onto Apple Pay, and leaving Android handsets with NFC by the wayside as they have been doing since 2010."

Does not being able to pay by NFC really leave a handset "by the wayside"? My Moto G at least does swipey-text, has easy file transfer, and is actually affordable - these are much more valuable to me than being able to pay by NFC, a benefit by the way which seems to me is solely for retailers who can save five seconds per purchase (big deal...) rather than consumers who will likely be paying much more for the privilege, when all costs are apportioned.

4. Jay 2
    Facepalm

Take my money! Oh, you're too busy...

Not a huge fan of NFC, but if it gives the option of walking into an Apple store, picking something up off the shelf, paying for it, then walking out without interacting with a member of staff, then that would be great.

On the recent few occasions I've had to buy something from an Apple store trying to flag down a salesdroid to pay for something has been a most infuriating and time-consuming operation. I've even complained to Apple and pointed out that having a till may not be aesthetically pleasing to them, but it will allow them to close a sale, unlike the punter getting pissed off and walking out the shop to buy elsewhere (or not at all).

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Take my money! Oh, you're too busy...

Same experience here. Both times I entered an Apple store to buy something I ended up leaving empty-handed, cursing them for the lost 45 minutes on my lunchtime, and buying the stuff in 10 minutes in a "regular" shop.

1. RyokuMas
        Thumb Up

I had a great experience the last time I went to an Apple store...

I was looking for a basic iPhone to test the iOS port of a game on. First up, the salesgirl pointed me at the iPod touch. I explained that in order to test, I needed to be able to receive incoming calls, so I could make sure that the game behaved correctly if someone called the phone mid-game.

She pointed me at the lowest cost iPhone. I asked if they did any reconditioned old handsets or second-hand, to which she said "no, but you could try Computer Exchange down the road..."

She then glanced round furtively, fished in her pocket, pulled out a very well used 4S and said quietly "it's where this came from."

I grinned, thanked her and walked out. 20 minutes and a swift transaction later, I was the proud owner of a secondhand 4S, and two hours later, I was testing my game on device. :)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Queing up in the cold for new products is just insane. Buy from Google, get it delivered the next day. Job done.

2. Steve Todd

There's an app for that. Run up the Apple Store app, scan the barcode of the item you want to buy, fill in your Apple password, wait for confirmation and walk out of the store with it in hand.

1. h4rm0ny

That's pretty neat. Out of curiosity, how is shop-lifting prevented?

1. Steve Todd

Re: Take my money! Oh, you're too busy... @h4rm0ny

The app provides you with a receipt, and I assume it talks to store security.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"The app provides you with a receipt, and I assume it talks to store security"

Tom and Dick walk into a very busy Apple store on a Saturday, and it's packed. They both wander over to the iPhone 6 stand, and scan a barcode, using their iPhone 5s. Tom continues through to pay for the new iPhone 6, Dick cancels the transaction. Tom then walks out of the store, with a receipt and a new iPhone. Harry is waiting, round the corner, for Tom. Tom gives him the old iPhone, with receipt. Harry then walks into the store, and slips the old iPhone to Dick, who then walks out of the store. Security stops him, he pulls out "his" iPhone and shows them the receipt. They check the CCTV, sure enough, at the time on the receipt, there is Dick scanning and paying for a new iPhone. "Sorry to have delayed you, sir" say security, and off Dick goes, with his nice new, free, iPhone 6.

1. Charles 9

I may be wrong, but I believe the actual phones are kept in the back (every store I've been to the high-ticket items are kept under some kind of lock and key). You use the app to present to the desk, and they fetch it for you, then you leave with it. The desk would be able to verify the receipt is used once and once only.

1. cambsukguy

> present to the desk, and they fetch it for you, then you leave with it.

That is the Argos model here in the UK. Works pretty well since you can also buy the stuff online before you go in (or within the store via a screen).

Only one Hume involved, the person that passes you the goods.

All we need now is a carousel system suited to a large percentage of the items and a scanner thingy that opens the door for you when you show it the receipt. Result - no humes, even more unemployment (I mean redeployment to more useful jobs).

Add robot or two at the warehouse side and the only Human would be the manager type person needed for customer service, theft deterrence and rebooting stuff.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

@cambsukguy Re: Take my money! Oh, you're too busy... @h4rm0ny

Yup, works pretty well for hard-discount shops around the world. It's the Online-shop-without-delivery model.

Good value for money usually. Also, fast service. No comment.

2. Steve Todd
              FAIL

Re: Take my money! Oh, you're too busy... @AC

Firstly you can only buy the stuff they actually have out on the shelves that way. They don't keep boxed iPhones/iPads/Macs out on the shelves. Secondly they can check the user's account for a purchase, cancelled transactions should be quite obvious. CCTV is unlikely to be called on to check if a given customer paid or not. Thirdly the app on a given phone holds the receipt after purchase, the user can prove purchase from that, plus they get an emailed copy too.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Apple waits until the stolen phone is activated and making a call, and then they detonate it by remote control.

2. fandom

"Run up the Apple Store app"

How does that work with first time Apple buyers?

3. ElReg!comments!Pierre

" There's an app for that. Run up the Apple Store app, scan the barcode of the item you want to buy, fill in your Apple password, wait for confirmation and walk out of the store with it in hand."

Funny that, there's a tech store near my place that works like that (but better because they offer the same through a standard web interface, not just a silly app).

They do it to keep the costs down: it's a heavy-discount store. Glad to see Apple keeping up with the "premium" image...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

I had the same experience when I went to buy my macbook, just wanted to speak to a someone and hand over my money, easy sale you'd think.

But I was directed to one of the ipads and told to virtually queue WTF? The sales bod was just standing there doing nothing, how hard is it to take my money and give me the goods I want.

I ended up walking out, I did get the macbook in the end (couple of weeks later after I'd finished telling everyone I knew how sh*t the apple store was) but I did in at a PC store where a sales person actually spoke to me. It's the small things in life.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The only way to get their attention (at the Apple Store), is to start acting a bit weird. Perhaps drop your trousers around your ankles. Or start complaining loudly to no one in particular. Or start serving other customers yourself.

You'll find an Apple employee will approach you almost instantly. So you can reinstall your trousers, and then you can complete your transaction and be out the door in five minutes. Easy.

It's a very strange system, but I guess that's how they want to play the game...

5. David Lawton

Yet i've had Airplay on my Apple iPhone/iPad/Macbook and Apple TV for years now and Chromecast has only just come out.

Its mainly not about specs with Apple, its all about user experience, and thats what some people just don't get. I did not get it years ago, i was not an Apple fan now all my tech almost is Apple, because the user experience i had on 1 device i wanted on the rest.

1. returnmyjedi

I could stream from my Nokia N8 to an Xbox 360 back in 2010. Do I win a prize?

2. .stu

And I've been using the industry standard DLNA to play content off my phone (and other DLNA servers) on my tv (and other DLNA players) for as long as airplay has been around. So what's your point exactly?

Edit: And a quick google reveals that Google Wallet has allowed android users in the USA to pay for stuff by NFC for the last 2 years. So instead of Apple lending their support to the current payment scheme, they have decided to do their own thing again, and managed to hoodwink everyone into thinking it is somehow new and revolutionary.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Pint

Speak about your personal experience

and use and get downvoted. That is the ElReg way these days I'm afraid.

Your post was positive about your experience using **** products. The haters of **** take delight in downvoting you.

IMHO, these are rather sad people. The might be happier if they accept that their fav baby is not always the 'bees knees' and might be better in some respects for some people.

But it is Friday so it is time for a beer and think of the weekend.

1. RyokuMas
        Coat

Re: Speak about your personal experience

..."and use and get downvoted."

Hah. It's when you get accused of being a shill or **** astroturfer/employee that you know you've really hit a nerve!

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Speak about your personal experience

"Speak about your personal experience and use and get downvoted. That is the ElReg way these days I'm afraid."

What the fluking flack? The post in question is not a "p ersonal experience" or anything about the device use but a direct and gratuitous attack on a competitor. It's been downvoted instead of being reported as abusive, that's already quite lenient; what are you complaining about?

4. Mark .

The difference is, we don't have hoards of Google fans trying to claim Chromecast is a new invention, or "popularised" anything, or brought it to the mainstream, or revolutionised anything, yet with Apple fans we have to hear them endlessly claiming this, even when the sales figures don't actually support the statement.

The excitement is that Chromecast is really cheap, I don't see ridiculous claims being made about it (though it would be reasonable to say the hype is a bit unfair, given there are other cheaper alternatives like NowTV).

It's not about specs with Apple, until it is - remember the "PPI" obsession? For user experience, how well does Airplay support playing to my LG TV? My user experience with itunes was terrible, as well as trying to get video on an ipod play through someone else's computer.

1. whatevs...
        Windows

No, we just have hoards of Google fans, like you Mark, bellyaching about everything Apple do, real perceived or otherwise. I'm as sick of hearing/reading the fucking shite as you are. The thing is, you are the fanboi. You are the one that can't let it go. You project what tech 'journalists' say on to people whom you have never met, let alone know, because they value different things to you. I bet you are ace to be around at parties. Heaven forfend the music is played on an iPod...

1. cambsukguy

> Heaven forfend the music is played on an iPod...

This is, in fact, true. At least from anecdotal evidence of audiophile types I have known that bought one assuming it was the best.

The cost of the audio output stages of the device is simply too low to make it particularly good I think. The ever-smaller and cheaper iPod devices just make it more so.

The same money spent on a device for a similar price without an Apple tax almost certainly meant you were getting a better audio stage - that was my experience. You often got a recorder and an FM radio too.

This would be doubly so if the source were more compressed because you got less storage for your money with an iPod too. (Obviously the original had a hard drive with substantial storage for the time.)

And as for user experience, my anecdotal evidence was that someone I knew at work had the same Bluetooth headphone as me but they couldn't start their music from the headphones "because the iPhone wouldn't let them". I had no such issue with my phone and never have.

The same issue happened when I asked another guy with his shiny new iPhone4 to send me a picture he just took (for work purposes) using the Bluetooth. Continuous errors, not possible.

And yes, it was the iPhone's fault, I could and did exchange photos etc. with folks on a regular basis.

I can select 20 pictures and NFC/BT the lot at 24mbps these days, I guarantee I can't do it to any existing iPhone and probably not to the forthcoming ones.

User experience, flashy shit that 'just works' with their own kit (e.g. an iPod dock instead of BT), more like 'only just works' if you ask me.

All this and I can buy two or three phones as good or better for the same money.

You piss yours away, I will retire a year earlier with the money I save and still not feel I am a poor relation.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So what went wrong Register?

you have just snook in another advertorial.

It was once never so.

7. psychonaut

nearly $1000

stopped reading at that point.

for a phone??

fuck off!

and no, im not jealous or envious, and could easily afford to buy one. (im only putting this in as a pre-emptive strike agaist the "oohh you cant afford one, you are jealous bs that will surely follow)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: nearly $1000

could buy a f***ing car for that

1. Tromos

@AC

One too many asterisks. Anyway, why not spell out 'flying'?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But you can't buy a car that says "I'm a twat" for that price, though.

1. WonkoTheSane

"But you can't buy a car that says "I'm a twat" for that price, though."

I'm pretty sure you _could_ get a used Audi for that much!

3. Tom 7

Buy a car? Are you advocating ram raiding for it?

4. Marcus Aurelius
        Paris Hilton

My girlfriends wouldn't be impressed if they were f***ing in a car that cheap :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"My girlfriends wouldn't be impressed if they were f***ing in a car that cheap :-)"

It's a good job you have a big tinker, then.

2. Dazed and Confused
          Facepalm

> My girlfriends wouldn't be impressed if they were f***ing in a car that cheap :-)

She's be even less impressed if you were trying to F*** on an iphone.

She'd know that by the morning everyone would have seen the videos.

3. Steven Raith

"My girlfriends wouldn't be impressed if they were f***ing in a car that cheap :-)"

Then perhaps you should ask them what they like, and what feels good to them...oh, you meant the car, not your lack of sexual technique.

Steven "Relax kids, I'm just teasing" R

PS: I can't f*** anyone in my car, back seats are too small. Or my girlfriends are too big, one or 'tother.

2. ThomH

In Apple's defence, that's the top-of-the-range price and is much the same as everybody else's top-of-the-range price.

It's the fact that the bottom-of-the-range brand new unlocked price — for a 5c — is $450 that's more of an issue. Compare and contrast with the $180 Motorola G, or even the $350 Nexus 5.

8. ColonelClaw

Nevertheless...

Could you do your usual TCO article on the 6 and 6 Plus please? I'd like to know which supplier here in the UK offers the least-ripoff contract.

1. TechicallyConfused

Re: Nevertheless...

None of them. They will all be equally arse-tearing

9. notfromsouthampton

And if you want to pre-order an iPhone...

...you might struggle this morning, if you want one from EE or O2 as their UK online stores are respectively "under maintenance" and "very busy... back soon"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NFC != payment system

Any Android user will know, NFC is FAR bigger than just payments, it's discovery feature is widely used, touch two android phones together, and the apps will decide the context. Displaying a picture, tap it against another NFC enabled phone and click the picture to send it. Got an app open in Google Play store, touch the phone against another and you can beam the page link to the other. The list goes on, the number of NFC enabled apps is actually quite large.

Google Wallet/NFC payments is something that is still to take of here sadly. But that's the banks being useless as usual.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: NFC != payment system

Yep.

Contact-less payments gives NFC the same bad + useless reputation.

2. Tom 7

Its not the banks being useless - if it is the banks at all. Its a technology that can cost you a fortune if configure badly and given the last twenty five years of computing has involved selling software that's more intelligent than the user it not catching on is about the only thing in its favour.

NCF can be FAR bigger than just payments but so can a thousand other techniques that dont have access to your bank account.

3. returnmyjedi

I remember bonking several dozen BlackBerry Bolds together a few years ago to transfer settings and BBM details using NFC for the field staff. Quite a handy little feature at the time as the powers that be decreed that said staff weren't bright enough to set them up themselves. When they inflicted iPhones upon us last year the set up process took at least double the time (not including the multitude of calls we fielded querying how to install various apps, including iPlayer, BBC News and - from one particularly brazen salesbot - Grindr.

4. ThomH

On the iPhone that is handled via Bluetooth. You have to tap the recipient's name on your screen rather than touch your phone to the other, but for an application where you already have the phone out and are using the screen that's no big deal. Naturally Apple has wrapped it all in proprietary stuff, as AirDrop™, but it's there nevertheless.

11. ISYS
    Childcatcher

Apple Pay

Will this be as secure as iCloud?

1. Spanners Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Apple Pay

It depends on what you are buying pictures of...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple Pay

> It depends on what you are buying pictures of...

Won't they post all your payment history to your itunes account like when you buy sex apps?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/04/teenagers_in_shamegasms_after_downloading_iphone_sitonmyfacetime_apps/

12. Ted Treen
    Devil

More analysis...

I've yet to see any output from 'analysts' that bears re-examination a year or so down the line.

Opinions presented as facts, when they are nothing more than guesses.

And anyway, isn't a "consultant" someone who charges you a fortune to tell you the time from your own watch?

And a successful "consultant" charges you a fortune to tell you the time from your own watch - and then sells your watch back to you.

13. wikkity

unlike Android’s comparatively fractured ecosystem

I'd like to see how many ios apps don't work correctly when screen ratios change compared to android ones. This "fractured" view is wrong, the word varied would be better and most android developers learn how to deal with this on day 2.

1. Mark .

Re: unlike Android’s comparatively fractured ecosystem

The great thing about ios is there's only one device to develop for: iphone. And ipad.

The great thing about ios is there's only two devices to develop for: iphone and ipad. And ipad mini. Three devices! iphone, ipad, ipad mini, iphone plus, and the installed user base of older smaller iphones that still need supporting, all with a variety of different screen resolutions and aspect ratios, and a fanatical devotion to the pope.

(I'll come in again.)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You really haven't got a fucking clue what you are talking about, have you Mark? Just another loud-mouthed fandroid troll on the internet.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And you are clearly not familiar with el reg comments- he was clearly nicking bits from a Monty Python sketch, as many other commentards do.

Or weren't you expecting the Spanish Inquisition?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What use is a new digital wallet - once I've spent $750 for the base model I won't have anything left for a considerable time to put in my digital wallet.

I have had Samsung devices for the last few years and I can't think of one reason to switch to apple - a less plasticy feel - nope - if my phone cost that much I'd wrap it in a case to protect it and there goes my slim, expensive feel...

Only for those with less sense than money.

15. TechicallyConfused

Rückzug durch technische

Apple once again blazing the trail. . ummm to the past. The only thing that made me even bat an eyelid at this latest iphone hardware patch was the 128GB of memory. It has no other even slightly compelling feature. They didn't even pony up on the Sapphire Glass promises. I'll stick with my 5 and wait to see who is doing what next year I think.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rückzug durch technische

The crystalline alumina screen is for the watch. But one Chinese manufacturer claims they have a phone in development with such a screen.

Apple won't do it till someone else has provided initial test data. The conventional watch industry did it for watches, someone else will have to do it for phones.

When I did my course on marketing (sorry) we were told it was best to be second to market with a genuinely new product because you could iron out the first to market bugs.

1. TechicallyConfused

Re: Rückzug durch technische

That probably works in everything apart from consumer bling technology.

16. FIA Silver badge

Handbags and gladrags

and the days of Apple releasing industry-leading tech are well and truly over.

Were they ever here?* Okay, they were the first phone manufacturer to do the high DPI screen thing, but IIRC the original iPhone had many things that were well behind the competition upon release. (No MMS, crap camera, no 3G).

Apple's strength have always been in design (industrial and UI). All that's happened is the pundits have gotten bored and stopped over hyping the shiny shiny.

(* although to be fair a second generation in house custom designed 64bit ARM CPU may possibly come close. ;) )

17. Stretch

Attention Macscum

Question: Did you not see The Fappening?

Question: Do you really want to use Apple Pay?

If the answers are yes you seriously need to reconsider your continued existence.

18. Charles 9

Honest question for anyone who might know. How will this new iPhone handle WiFi Calling? AFAIK, the only major US cell provider that supports this is T-Mobile, and only on certain classes of Android phones (mostly higher-end models) and only with their rolling plans (prepaids can't use this or Visual Voicemail). Considering the text of the article, this may be specific to T-Mobile, too (which has had the infrastructure for years).

19. IGnatius T Foobar
    Happy

Apple?

Apple? Are they the company that used to be relevant when Steve Jobs was still around?

20. Caaaptaaaain kick arse

OnePlusOne

For the win

21. phuzz Silver badge
    Facepalm

The one reason I liked the iPhone is because they were pretty much the only phone that hadn't jumped on the "bigger screen = better" bandwagon.

Oh well, it's not like I was going to buy one anyway.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The most advanced phone OS was the Symbian OS. It had and still has many features Android and iOS don't have.

But it was bloody horrible to use.

I think the same thing of Android. While I loved my HTC One and like my HTC One M8. The Android user interface is just awful.

So you can compare specs as much as you like, the usability is the important thing.

1. cambsukguy

Saw an M8 with WinPhone on it the other day - perhaps they can convert yours?

Then you will have the sleek lovely phone you desire (haha) *and* a sleek OS that really is very good.

23. AJames

Now if only Google could make Android work right!

I have both iOS and Android devices, and it's pretty clear that iOS is still the champ when it comes to usability and reliability. My latest phone uses Android 4.4.4, and I often have the urge to bash it against the wall until there's nothing left buy tiny bits! Not the phone's fault, it's all Android and Google to blame. It's much less reliable than my oldest tablet that uses Android 4.1.2,

24. Nanners

yes they did

And yet they still are a pain in the butt to deal with, you don't know what you get when you buy in, it doesn't work as well as apple, and it still doesn't have the apps i use.

25. Nanners

pee ass

I still ain't buying that watch. It's too much investment for a watch.

26. CheesyTheClown

But Samsung uses Android

I don't understand... Windows Phone, iOS and Android all suck... At variable levels. iPhone stability is questionable. Windows Phone Store only carries apps like "Get 50 hot naked pictures every day" which is categorized under "Family". Android is the OS which needs a google search engine because there's no hope or finding anything otherwise. Let's not forget it's slow as hell and personal hotspot requires a reboot every fourth time you use it. It's good that they make the phones large enough to store a laptop battery since a 4" model lasts 3 hours on a charge. Want an OS update for Android to get the new features? You should consider a new phone.

See what people forget about iPhone and iOS is that it sucks less. If no one is going to make a phone worth a damn, that's what we can aim for. Out of the three, it just sucks less. I think Apple should use that to sell iPhone too. Their marketing team should love it. Tag Hauer "Big enough to show that you're a slave to time from across a room crowded with stuffed shirts". Or Burberry "Impress the other ladies with your stylish old catholic nun looks".... Apple iPhone "We suck less"

I wanted a new iPhone until I saw how big they'd be. I'm upset though that summer vacation added some weight and my pants are a bit tight. Maybe this is the legitimate excuse I needed to buy new jeans. "I bough a new iPhone, I had to get pants with big pockets... And an elastic waste"

I'll test to see if it's comfortable talking into this weekend by walking around with my toaster held to my face.

1. cambsukguy

Re: But Samsung uses Android

but the biggest issue with the WP store is that you *can't* get hot naked pics, half-naked perhaps but, seriously, why would you bother? I get that WP doesn't have an app for some mainstream stuff but, really, most apps are there, if not as good as the other OSs (I hear, I don't know). Since they mostly work and there are almost always web pages or alternative clients for the missing ones, I don't miss them. It is worth it to me to have the nicer OS and the Lumia extras.

After all, looking at naked pics (and now video I hear) is what the internet was invented for surely?

27. Keven E.

What the.... who wears a watch these days?

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Look out Nexus

I see Apple has a new target to sue. Look out Nexus! You stole Apple's ideas 2 years before Apple made them.

Nothing new here. A lot of Apple's innovations were borrowed ideas. Siri was available for two years as a free app before Apple acquired it to put on their phones. People lauded Apple for their innovation, seeming to forget that up until then they could have gotten the same thing for free.

All these companies borrow ideas. But to be honest, it is impossible not to. There hasn't been any blatant stealing of ideas. People like something and they all try to implement it. Some ideas are inherent to smartphones in general. Bluetooth. NFC. 4G. Those are becoming standards. It isn't tech being stolen. It is common core tech being used by everyone.

Apple "borrows" ideas. But so does Samsung. It is reality. Don't be a fool and act like one side is more guilty of it then the other.

1. Spanners Silver badge

Re: Look out Nexus

The difference is that Android manufacturers are less prone to suing anyone who might compete too hard with them.

29. Zog_but_not_the_first
    Boffin

Borg your phone for the best of both worlds

I have an NFC micro card issued by a bank stuck to the back of my phone.

30. imaginarynumber

"Apple may have come late to NFC, but it has had the balls to put it into its flagship product, which bodes well."

Sorry, but what does that mean?

The last and only non flagship phone released by Apple was the rehashed 5C, even that though, was generally considered (by some) to be a premium product

31. Rainer

So, the Nexus 4 had all the feature for two years already?

And what did that matter?

Answer: nothing, apparently. Because Google is not a product company - and apparently neither are its licensees.

While your Android phone might have had an NFC reader for years, did it combine it with a finger-print reader to essentially generate one-time credit card transaction numbers to eliminate credit card fraud and maybe even beat manipulated terminals that SMS your card-details to Pakistan?

I don't think so.

Instead, you can use it to send pictures and vcards to other people.

Great. That's surely going to revolutionize the industry.

32. Truth4u

Moto G is honestly best looking smartphone

IPhone is lame wow it sits flat on a counter, who cares. It feels like a turd.

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nexus 4? don't make me laugh. Possibly the worst camera on a phone I've ever had and I have also owned a HTC One (M7)

Also the Nexus 4 was also the worst phone at getting it to connect to a car stereo via Bluetooth. Basically random whether it would work. My iPhone 4S that I previously had before "upgrading" to the N4 would connect faultlessly. Whether it was Android or not I do not know.

All these people talking about the iCloud photo thing as if it were somehow connected, try reading/watching the detail. No CC details or payment history or anything are held by Apple. Let's not let that stop us from an ignorant rant though eh?

I went back to an iPhone after 2 years with Android about 6 months back with a 5S and it was like a breath of fresh air. I haven't seen anything from Samsung or HTC that would make me go back yet either. Every single Samsung owner I know starts out happy but gets less and less so as time goes on. Random reboots, battery problems etc all around 6-12 months in.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I bet Jennifer Lawrence can't wait to start using her iPhone to pay for kinky toys. Secure purchases are great and knowing that nobody will ever be able to know what you buy must giver her a great sense of security.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like