back to article Sun's MASSIVE solar storm belch to light up Earth's skies

A "significant" solar flare emitted by the Sun on Wednesday will hit our planet over the next few days – most likely causing auroras to appear over certain areas. As a result of an X1.6 solar flare intercepting Earth, a dazzling overhead light display could reach as far south as Maryland in the east of the US and down to …

1. phil dude
    Thumb Up

celestia...

It would be cool if a live feed could be incorporated into celestia (or some similar tool).

My preference would be the view from the Enterprise bridge....

P.

1. JeffyPoooh
      Pint

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!

Well, perhaps the cloudy skies will protect me from the incoming death rays.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!

I always know when we're going to have a cloudy evening because whenever there's a weather report which says "Shortly after 10pm look to the north and you will see a mind-boggling stellar display" that invariably means "Peer out through the drizzle and low cloud to imagine what the mind-boggling stellar displays would look like, and return to your Netta Muskett novels".

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

A small clarification, please

Is it aimed at Earth now, or aimed at where Earth will be when it intercepts our orbit?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: A small clarification, please

It will likely intercept us.

C.

2. Richard Tobin

Re: A small clarification, please

It's not that narrow. The earth moves about a degree per day (obviously), and the CME is much bigger than that.

3. Mr_Pitiful
    Mushroom

OK so

8 million MPH - 93 Million Miles to travel isn't that 93/8 = 11.625 hours

how does that equate to 2-3 days?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: OK so

The leading edge is moving that fast, not the whole flare.

C.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: OK so

I've also heard that in astronomy, differences in measurements can be one or two orders of magnitude out.

I'd guess it's because things like the min/max and average vary so greatly, referring to one instead of the other can cause confusion (such as the thickness of the Galaxy vs it's length).

That and at extreme distances, it's much harder to tell. Though in this instance the Sun is much closer for us to make accurate measurements. So, as mentioned above, it's down to the difference in the edge, middle (peak?) and end of the flare. :P

1. Tom 13

Re: differences in measurements

If you don't follow it closely, measurements in Astronomy can seem bizarrely disparate. If you know the right place to look it up, you can easily find an AU measured down to hundredths of a centimeter. There might even be some updated papers that have it out to 9 sigmas by now. On the other hand, when you measure the distance to another galaxy, being of by a couple billion light years is frequently no big deal. Inside the solar system I'd expect everything to be measured to better than 1 magnitude of difference.

4. Jes.e

Missed us..

"A whopping X2.2 flare was emitted by our star in June, but as you may have noticed, civilization survived. ®"

The reason for that was *that* one missed us..

It was also stronger.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. Missed us,,

Best to break out the SPF Factor 4000, just to be sure.

My DIY solar neutrino detector isn't yet working but the ambient radiation sensors dotted around the US (thanks Mr Radu Motisan) should detect the cloud as it approaches as background radiation will increase sharply.

In fact, during one storm in the 1950s the detectors at Los Alamos actually registered an increase.

Now would also be a good time for the Earth to Sky Calculus guys to launch a mission.

6. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Might get some aurora activity here. Will be watching for it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

As C. Montgomery Burns once said...

"Since the beginning of time man has yearned to destroy the sun!"

Looks like el Sol is launching a pre-emptive strike!!

8. David Pollard

[It] would likely destroy the US electrical grid

What I'd read about this some years ago was that the problem comes from slowly changing currents being induced in loops in the grid. In 60 Hz transformers this is more or less like DC and it biases them into saturation with the result that they overheat. The solution is to ensure that no long distance loops are connected for the duration of the particle shower.

Are there other ways in which the solar storm can do damage, or is the 'destroy the grid' claim scare-mongering?

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: [It] would likely destroy the US electrical grid

"The solution is to ensure that no long distance loops are connected for the duration of the particle shower."

Which more or less means "shut the grid down"

Slightly different transformer layouts are immune to this effect but cost more to implement. Sadly, noone's even started working on mitigation measures for a X10 direct hit and likely won't unless ordered by govts in the interests of national security.

9. David Kelly 2

Climate Change

Obviously this solar flare must be due to mankind's wonton release of CO2 into our atmosphere!

Doom! Gloom! When Will We Ever Learn?(™)

1. Stoneshop
      Pint

Re: Climate Change

mankind's wonton release of CO2

Oh sure, it's all caused by Chinese soup.

Beer, because it goes well with Chinese food, and contains CO2 too.

1. theblackhand
        Pint

Re: Climate Change Beer and CO2

So drinking beer reduces CO2 and saves the world? I'll do my best.....

It's Friday, I have a gun and I've started drinking...

Anyone want to disagree with me? Sure, I'll probably only hit my foot but there's a chance you might get hit.

1. Scroticus Canis
          Happy

Re: Climate Change Beer and CO2 and Gun

OK, I'll bite. How many toes do you have left? Less than seven and I'll have a go :)

Drinking beer only reduces CO2 if you don't burp or fart.

2. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Despite your rather transparent attempt to mock and thereby discredit climate science, I don't see or hear any actual scientists claiming that solar phenomena have anything to do with Earth's atmospheric chemistry, so please settle down.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

> don't see or hear any actual scientists claiming that solar phenomena have anything to do with Earth's atmospheric chemistry,

There's a rather huge pile of actual scientists claiming that solar phenomena and Earth atmospheric chemistry are closely linked actually. In fact, not a single real scientist would deny that. Ask them. Where do you think ozone comes from?

On a more controversial, banned-from-BBC-airtime note, there's also ample evidence that sun flares are the single major factor influencing Earth climate (and thus, as a consequence, CO2 and methane concentration in the atmosphere).Of course it's easier to prove on a small timescale as flares are temporally well-defined phenomena, so it may be just that.

10. heyrick Silver badge

A whopping X2.2 flare was emitted by our star in June, but as you may have noticed, civilization survived.

Actually, Earth was wiped out. We are a reconstruction based upon collected DNA samples. This is why we are so fixated on religion, some people have noticed the machinery keeping this illusion running, and "God" (etc) is their best explanation.

1. Lionel Baden

the new manfrommars ????

11. Tom 7

Just another attempt by the No campaigners to scare the Scots

but they'll be hiding in the pub and wont see it!

12. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Only the US?

Is it going to be only visible in the US and only affect the US grid, or is it another case of only-US-mattersitis?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

it's not exactly expected to wipe out life as we know it.

Damn. That's all I have to say.

14. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Dear Americans,

The Earth's surface includes more than just North America. Please be kind enough to include the rest of it in maps that show planet-wide phenomena.

1. Tom 13

Re: Dear Americans,

Thank-you for expressing your concern.

We'll start making sure all news intended for locals is written with a European slant right after El Reg starts using "color" instead of "colour" when a Brit is writing the article.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
        Coat

@ Tom Re: Dear Americans,

So you'll start doing proper science when we start using improper spelling?

I can't see a problem with that... (notice how CNN says "English" units were at fault despite said units being specific to the USA? Interesting innit.)

2. Scroticus Canis
        Big Brother

Re: Dear Americans, @Tom13

Say colon (you know the bit of gut above the rectum) and make that rhyme with colour, nope, but it does with color!

Shame that Colin Powell's mother couldn't pronounce his first name properly.

15. Spoonsinger
    Flame

I, for one, welcome our big glowy deity.

letters - because the forum software said I needed them.

16. Quotes

theregister.co.UK

Is Maryland north or south of Watford?

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: theregister.co.UK

Most definitely south. Although not quite directly so.

2. Swarthy

Well, When the ESA is monitoring these things and releasing press releases, they can (and presumably will be) Eurocentric. When JAXA does them, the maps will likely be centered on Asia. The article info did come from NASA, which has an understandable US bias.

I am certain our beloved Vulture would prefer to present data from ESA, but.. they don't have the equipment for this.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

"When the ESA is monitoring these things and releasing press releases, they can (and presumably will be) Eurocentric. When JAXA does them, the maps will likely be centered on Asia. "

You'd think that, heh? Well, you'd be wrong. The "only us" mentality on that kind of subject is pretty much specific to the USA. Scientific reports on worldwide phenomena from that strange RestOfTheWorld country ALWAYS give data for the whole blue-orb-thinggie, because it's the sciencey thing to do. What's more, even NEWS REPORTS local to this strange RestOfTheWorld country almost always mentions the consequences on other RestOfTheWorld parts*. Not to mention the USA which always get prominent mentions as should be, The One Country That Matters and all that. So now, you know.

*I know, I know, it may come as a surprise for you, but RestOfTheWorldians sometimes feel different from each other. Fools the lot of them.

17. Stevie

Bah!

And yet the internet lives on and my cellphone didn't melt.

Another win for doom-predicting "scientists".

18. winemaster2

It is my experience that these solar flairs that usually occur in the height of summers also effect utility meters in particular water and electricity meters , that run faster. I have noticed that meter in my area a subdivision have about ten times more usage for every body in the Subdivision. It is inconceivable that every body would start using 10 times more water and electricity just in a particular month mostly August or September. It would nice to know if other areas of the country have same experience.

19. winemaster2

It is my observed experience about every year for the past five, that during the month of these flairs, frequently utility meters in particular water & electricity run about 10 times faster for every body in my subdivision and perhaps others in the area. In the month when these flairs are in the news, it appears that every body in my area has ten times more usage of water and electricity as, indicated by meter readings by these so called not for profits EMC and water authority private entities. I can see that on an occasion water and electric usage may go up , but not every body in the subdivisions around with the same consistency and spike in the usage. Would be interesting if some others to have some in put if this occurs in other areas.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re. Bah!

Famous last words.

This solar maximum has gone on for longer than any other in recorded history, and the flare in 1859 was likely to have been caused by magnetic field energy buildup in the coronasphere so it could turn out that no spots = bad in the same way as no quakes in a seismically active area can be a sign of imminent volcanic eruption.

Just saying.

1. Stevie

Re: Just saying.

WHAT are you "just saying"?

I was saying that despite people running around tearing out their hair and pouring ashes on their heads yet another flare has happened without significant incidence of exploding electric infrastructure.

I cannot see the connection between that and your unsupported claim that a putative sunspot minimum equates with Doom Flare In The Offing.

Unless, of course, you are speaking in terms of Geological Timescale in which case you win the internet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like