back to article Report: Sprint to bring Sony Xperia into tough US smartphone market

Stateside mobile carrier Sprint is reportedly planning to bring the Sony Xperia handset to the US market for the first time. The rumours come just a few weeks after Sprint's newly-installed boss Marcelo Claure said he planned to make aggressive moves to help the company regain market share. Now, according to separate reports …

1. Arctic fox
    Windows

It would be nice to see Sony and HTC giving Sammy a run for their money.........

...................in the Android market in the US. My good lady runs an Xperia Z2 and is very happy with it - a sentiment that I heartily agree with even though my primary is a Lumia 1020 - we are an ecumenical household. I wish Sony the best of luck in a very difficult market

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Xperia Z1

is a very nice phone.

I don't work for Sony, and I'm not a Sony fanboi.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Xperias are great

After the missus S3 started having difficulty charging (apparently the USB port needs resoldering after the two years guarantee pass), and tired of the touchwiz interface, I gave my wife the S4 and got for myself a Xperia Z1 compact. I had already got a Xperia M for one of the teenage units, and she is very happy with it, so I decided to try the "underdog".

The result is that now, besides the Z1C, I also got a Z2 tablet. Fast, with a nice fluid interface that not only looks good but doesn't get in the way, these were two great buys. The Z1C has great battery life and an amazing camera, the Z2 tablet has a great screen and is extremely fast. The included office suite has taken all MS format documents I've thrown at it without any hiccups, great for when I take it with me on business trips.

I had quit Sony for Nokia with the issues I had with the K850, then gave up on Nokia after the N96, now I'm back with Sony after trying HTC and Samsung, and if they continue with this quality level, I will surely keep buying and recommending sony androids for a long time.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Xperias are great

It's good to see people discovering for themselves how fine the Sony products are. They cost a bit more, but you get alot of quality.

It's happening in the photography sector too. The A7 and A6000 destroying the Canikons in price and performance, and users are slowly jumping ship from the sheep-like easy purchase defaults.

2. Ruairi

Re: Xperias are great

Also a huge fan of the xperia lines. I've had an activ, ZR and Z1C in the last 2 years, extremely happy with them all (Apart from some annoying teething issues/bugs in 1st/2nd firmware release).

The quality of low light pics from the Z1C is astounding. Battery life, well, I get to make fun of the poor iPhone users who get maybe a day.

Form factor of the Z1C is basically perfect for me. It's just a shame that the glass back was repalced w/ some plastic stuff last minute, which tends to scratch all too easily.

4. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

US Sprint market

This is only news for Sprint, as others have been selling the Xperia line. They're pretty good except for the screechy little speaker. Sony doesn't custom build phones for Google or Apple so they haven't been forced to remove the microSD slot.

5. Mr Miser

does not break, also makes chili and fries

To add to the fan club here, I've been extremely impressed with the hardiness of my z1. Just earlier this week my bike lost traction depositing me hard on my phone side. Despite pain where the phone was, here I am, happily posting from my uncracked z1. Contrast that with the proliferation of cracked iPhones which have led me to concluded they're being busted purposely as a fashion statement. Does anyone else have a better way to account for the iCracks?

6. iromko

No Xperias in tough US market yet?

The article gives impression that no one is selling any Xperias in US, and Sprint is going to break this sad (for Sony) state of affairs. But if true, that's somewhat baffling - for major mobile phones maker not to have presence in such large market.

7. RobThBay

Another Z3?

BlackBerry released a new phone called Z3 earlier this year. Talk about confusing the phone buying public.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like