back to article Microsoft not good enough for you, eh? 'Next Steve Ballmer' drives to Google

His name was bandied about during the race to replace Steve Ballmer, but it looks like Microsoft missed out on former Ford Motor Company chief Alan Mulally. The man has just announced his intention to join Google's ranks. Mulally has joined the Google board fresh from a premature departure from his job running the world’s …

1. big_D Silver badge
    Coat

I thought

In a canned statement, Mulally said he was “honored” to serve on the board of a “global iconic company that is dedicated to enhancing our lives”

I thought he said he was going to Google?

2. RealBigAl

fast forward a couple of years

"Ford and Google announce strategic partnership on driverless cars with a view to a possible merger"

1. IanTP
      Joke

Here's betting the motor lobby force driver less cars to have a man in front with a red flag!

2. Fungus Bob

"...with a view to a possible merger"

Not so much a merger as a pile-up.

3. ratfox
    WTF?

Huh?

Google getting involved in car making is likely as popular in Detroit as the Chocolate firm’s decision among handset makers to buy Nokia’s phone business... which is to say, not.

You mean Microsoft, right? Or Google buying Motorola, maybe?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Huh?

In the words of the register the Chocolate Factory is Google, and Microsoft is Microsoft.

This article seems a bit odd in that it is Microsoft who bought Nokia and Google bought Motorola.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Big Brother

Microslop, Microshaft, the Borg ...

2. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

So is Mullaly going to be Charlie or Augustus Gloop?

4. Sureo

So, Mulally is going to be the driverless car's chief tester?

5. TheOtherHobbes

I for one welcome the arrival of our new Googlord.

1. Shady
      Happy

Forgle is short'n'sweet

6. Doug 3

he's not a crash dummy

what he's done with and at Ford over the years shows he's no dummy so why would he want to go to a company with a shrinking brand and a shrinking market when there is Google and all the interesting things they have been doing and succeeding at? Not a crash dummy.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So this guy's moving from a car manufacturing company to one of the world's largest technology company.

So he's obviously well qualified. Perhaps he'll be able to help them build cars, so I guess there is that.

Think I'll try my hand at brain surgery. They use computers, right?

8. Turtle

The "Next Steve Ballmer".

"'Next Steve Ballmer' leaves Ford for GOOGLE"

As a Windows user, the very last thing that I would want to see is another Steve Ballmer at Microsoft.

As a person who considers Google to be a borderline (and sometimes way, way over the borderline) criminal organization, there is nothing I am happier to see, than the "next Steve Ballmer" joining Google.

Here's hoping "the next Steve Ballmer" does to Google, what the original Steve Ballmer did to Windows.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't lose sleep...

...over Google's autonomous car as it isn't likely to see the streets before 2020 or even later.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"General Motors said the Google car could become a “serious competitive threat” to the car industry."

I think General Motors themselves are considered to be a serious competitive threat to themselves with some of the things that are coming into the light about their own cars, engineering, quality, management, etc.....

Anyone ever wonder how these guys seem to go from place to place, doing nothing but making money and messes?

11. Cipher

Sometimes...

...Corporate news, particularly corporate personnel news, is better than the Soap Operas on daytime TV.

12. Oneman2Many

Not working in car division

Various reports all said that he will be working in an internal audit role on the board. Probably more financial related rather then cars as he did wonders turning around Ford's balance sheet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like