back to article Dutch firm passes the world's first e-spliff to the left hand side

Do you want to be as stoned as Bob Marley but keep on jammin into your middle age? Then you're in luck, because a Dutch firm is riding high after introducing the world's first ever electronic doobie. The iSpliff is designed by Dutch firm E-Njoint BV and allows no-smoke-tokers to inhale liquid cannabis, using a similar method …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

e-Ganja

Now that gives a totally different spin to "cloud computing".....

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disappearing art

I used to pride myself on being able to roll good looking joints, hands, tulips etc.... I should have bought actions in OCB at the time. It was a skill I tell you , a skill.....

Now if only I could remember what day of the week it is.......

1. Euripides Pants
      Coat

Re: Disappearing art

"Now if only I could remember what day of the week it is......."

Why, its Fried-Day, of course...

3. Mark 85
    Meh

Not really new...

Vaping weed has been around for at least 5 years. The re-fillable e-cigs and liquid C have been around for awhile but, at least here in the States, it's been an underground type of thing unless there was a medical reason (along with prescription and appropriate ID).

Someone close to me had a medical condition and tried these things. What's new I guess is the e-cig being promoted for this????

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: What's new

In the picture I saw yesterday the e-spliff had a light on the end with a picture of a cannabis leaf. As far as I can tell that's the only difference between this an a regular e-cig.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: What's new

"In the picture I saw yesterday the e-spliff had a light on the end with a picture of a cannabis leaf. As far as I can tell that's the only difference between this an a regular e-cig."

I am given to understand that the vaporisation temperature is higher than for a conventional e-cig.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not really new...

Vaping is quite popular among people with an actual medical need for it as well.

They often don't really want to roll a fat spliff, so the option of just inhaling some vapour is very welcome.

You can of course eat it, but that might also not be attractive, depending on your medical condition.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Mitoo Bobsworth
    Coat

Here's a REAL opportunity for Apple...

the iStone. (iBud liquid charges sold separately of course, lovingly produced inside the walled garden of iDen.)

Dudes, which pocket did I leave my pipe in again? Like, iForgot.

1. Mark 78
      Coat

Re: Here's a REAL opportunity for Apple...

Rather than being an Apple product should it be made by Adoobie.

OK, I'm getting my coat, don't rush me.......

1. Rob
        Coat

Re: Here's a REAL opportunity for Apple...

Are you leaving...? Don't suppose you're going past the shop are you, I'm feeling a bit peckish...

5. sandman

Fat Freddy says

Absolutely freakin cosmic :-)

1. Scroticus Canis

But Fat Freddy Scat isn't happy

"Chewing on an e-splif hurts my teeth. Where's the herbs you fat furry freak?" - heard from the purloining feline.

6. Steven Raith
    Go

So how does this work?

I was under the impression that getting the canneboids/THC/groovy bits of doobie into a liquid base was tricky as the funky bits didn't bind well with PG/VG, or at least bugger up the atomiser - and that dry burners were the choice of users at the moment. Although I'll admit, I've not smoked weed for years so I'm a bit out of touch with the scene.

Anyone got any technical info? Come on El Reg Commentards, DELIVER!

Steven "Just curious" R

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: So how does this work?

No idea whether it work, but maybe adding a bit of PEG400 to the PG/VG mixture would help with solubility issues?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> I was under the impression that getting the canneboids/THC/groovy bits of doobie into a liquid base was tricky

You can soak the buds in Chloroform, then filter and allow the Chloroform to evaporate, this leaves crystals which are pure THC, this can be added to your PG/VG liquid.

A/C for obvious reasons.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm not a scientist, so I'm not sure if the result is a liquid, but Californian medical marijuana patients have been vaporizing non-solid cannabinoids in the form of oil extracts for several years now. This looks like the same product, but one which has dispensed with the discretion gained in looking like an e-cig.

The technique used to get these oils is super critical CO2 extraction. I've a friend who does this in the legitimate side of industry, but the science and methodology for isolating THC or CBD (the cannabinoid with truly exciting medical applications) is supposed to be fairly simple. The purity possible in the end result would be pretty high, but I forget his exact numbers. Something in the upper 90's% I want to say.

There are many people extracting CBD for its myriad medical properties -- analgesia, anti-anxiety, anti-seizure, and many more. You toke a high-CBD phenotype or a CBD extract, and instead of feeling good and high, you just feel good. The psychoactive effects are minimal, and it's great treatment for your hangover. The simplest and safest way to consume these are with vaporizers built exactly like the nicotine based e-cigs.

All that being the case, is this the "world's first" only for looking like a spliff?

1. Steven Raith

Cheers kids - interesting stuff.

I quite like the idea of feeling good without actually getting high, interestingly - that sort of thing would be pretty good for anxiety/depression.

And before anyone asks, I've found that getting a buzz from weed doesn't do my anxiety any good - just makes me nauseous - hence me not keeping up with this stuff, I haven't touched a bit of the 'erb for about eight years now as a result of the aforementioned....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why is there a gummie bear flavour ?

Because adults like gummie bears as well.

The anti-vapour people just hate the fact that most of their arguments have been nullified.

I am sure they would do the same if there was a safer alcohol as well.

1. NB

Why the nice flavours?

Because why the fuck not? I'm an adult and my favourite flavours of e-liquid are watermelon and blackcurrant.

If we're going to get stupid about nice tasting e-liquids we'd better go all the way on the dumbfuck train and ban any alcoholic drinks that don't taste like shite while we're at it.

WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

1. Steven Raith

Re: Why the nice flavours?

My immediate counter to the 'fruity flavours will ADDICT OUR KIDS' is along the lines of "Well, get WKD banned now then, because choking on your own vomit is a damned site more dangerous than getting stuck on nicotine"

Actually, I normally suffix that with some abuse which insinuates the complainers parents may have been directly related, but that's not directly related to the argument - it just cheers me up to see the reaction of people when they're accused of being the result of incest.

Steven R

1. Robert Helpmann??
          Childcatcher

There are still... paranoid ramblings warnings that the tobacco industry is using the devices to snare a whole generation of new addicts.

It's not just the flavors, it's past behavior, which is one of the best predictors of future behavior. Another really good predictor is to evaluate who would benefit financially from targeting a particular group for sales. If you add to the mix that the money gained from the various tobacco suit settlements here in the States seldom went to treatment efforts (there were increased anti-smoking ads, but little in the way of treatment of which I am aware), it does not sound paranoid so much as business as usual.

2. Lamont Cranston
          WTF?

@ Steven R

Are you saying that a ban on WKD would be a bad thing?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Imagine, a world where there was only American beer <shudder>.

2. anatak

like this ?

http://mic.com/articles/73223/alcohol-substitute-lets-you-get-drunk-without-drinking

3. dogged

> The anti-vapour people just hate the fact that most of their arguments have been nullified.

> I am sure they would do the same if there was a safer alcohol as well.

That's because they can't sneer at you so easily. I think the Daily Mash sums this one up nicely.

4. Ceiling Cat
      Pint

My local e-juice company makes a Gummy Worms flavor, and I've recently tried a really good Orange Creamsicle flavor, too.

The thing that the haters need to realize is that vaping plain, unflavored PG/VG mix is vile. And one of the reasons that smokers move to e-cigs is that the flavors taste a fuck-tonne better than even a flavored cigarillo, without being (as) harmful to the user or surrounding innocent bystanders.

As much as I do appreciate what the e-spliff is trying to do, I do wish they hadn't. There are some cases where negative publicity is actually just that.

Beer, because eventually a company will come up with lager vape, and then we're all done for.

8. Jedit Silver badge
    FAIL

A dark day for reggae

Songs will suffer if the noble joint is consigned to the ashtray of history, and you know it. I mean, who'd listen to this?

I vape 2ml in the morning

I vape 2ml at night

I vape 2ml in the afternoon

It makes me feel alright

1. Anonymous Coward
      Holmes

Re: A dark day for reggae

I'm a draper,

I'm a japer,

I'm a midnight vaper...

1. ADJB

Re: A dark day for reggae

You could still get away with...

Pass the dutch-e from the left hand side

9. Matt Bryant Silver badge

But do the puffers still stink?

Ordinary smokers often smell bad enough, but ganja puffers often reek like a rubbish-tip fire. Are they adding a nicer aroma as well as flavourings to e-cigs and e-tokes so the rest of us don't have to suffer their stink?

1. dogged

Re: But do the puffers still stink?

Can't speak for the technoganja, but e-cigs don't smell. At all.

Some flavours can have a whiff about them them but since this is often along the lines of coffee, vanilla or - as mentioned - gummy bears... deal with it?

10. Paul Hayes 1

kids stuffing actual gummy bears into their mouths non-stop is probably more dangerous than a gummy bear flavoured e-cig anyway.

Ban gummy bears altogether I say! ;)

1. Lyndon Hills 1

ban Gummy Bears

See the Amazon review and consider, could a smoke (spliff or fag) ever do this to you?

amazon

1. Anonymous Dutch Coward
        Pint

Re: ban Gummy Bears

I didn't dare click that link feeling it might well be the Haribo gummy bear from hell review. I've seen it once and that was twice too many ;)

Icon for me... or one of those new-fangled ethings... after all I'm in the land of the flat and the home of the shops where they sell more than coffee...

2. thomas k.
        Thumb Up

Re: ban Gummy Bears

OMG! It's not 1 review, it's 792, a veritable treasure trove of gut-busting hilarity!

I haven't laughed so hard in ages, so thank you, thank you, thank you. I've been having a rough patch lately and I really could use the laghter.

I've bookmarked the comments so I can wend my way through them at my leisure.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

extraction , use

AC for obvious reasons. I have been making an oral spray of CBD for 3-4 years now as the Tardive Dystonia i have from 12 years of taking neuroleptics is uncontrollable any other way.I modified a recipe by a canadian MS group for a THC spray to create it. not much trouble just an oven and accurate thermometer.) I use a vaporizer for THC delivery , its uses less , has no products of combustion to compromise my cardio vascular system or negatively impact on my lung capacity . (i need to be fit as i use hipotherapy to keep my limbs from becoming more knotted). The cognitive benefit for me of THC usage is recognised by my consultant , and i carry a letter from him in case of unwarranted action by the old bill. Yesterday's announcement by the Dutch company is rather like Raspberry PI being touted as a breakthrough after arduino had been providing the same and more for a number of years.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

vaporizer called the Base Pen

Base Pen missing link ..

13. Tony Rogers
    Thumb Down

So when will CRACK start up

Not a scientist... but it would seem to be not a long road

before the little kiddiwinks are offered a quick puff

at lunchtime ?

1. Lamont Cranston
      Joke

Re: So when will CRACK start up

Mashed out on e-joints, a group of 6 year olds might sit quietly on the carpet for the afternoon - must run this past the school governers...

14. Alan Brown Silver badge

flavoured tobacco

Flavoured smokes are nothing new. Fruit flavoured tobaccos were almost universally banned in the 1960s/70s because they were clearly aimed at kids (or encouraging people to take up smoking in the first place by masking the disgusting taste of tobacco). If you're going to deliberately inhale an potent poison (nicotine is an insecticide which will kill humans at concentrations of more than a few PPM) then you should know what you're doing. (THC is not poisonous.)

I really am surprise flavoured vapes were/are allowed for e-cigs and I'd be very surprised if they continue to be allowed in most jurisdictions for very long.

This topic is closed for new posts.