back to article Phone-theft hotspots named and shamed

If you’ve lost your mobile phone recently, have you tried trawling Cambridge's pubs? Because the city’s boozers are the most likely spot for handsets to ‘go missing’, according to new research. Security firm CPP has compiled a list of ten English cities where mobile phone theft is at its highest, and doubled the stats up with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven Raith
    Thumb Down

Phones only go missing in pubs..

If you are stupid enough to leave them on the table, or in something else in plain site, like a handbag or backpack.

The only people I have seen lose phones are the people who constantly show off their iPhone/N95Supercomputer/D600Mediacentre etc as if it were some kind of sign of their sexual prowess.

This goes for girls who leave their mobile phones at the top of their wide open handbag at the edge of the bar/table etc too.

Simple rule - if you have something valuable, either don't take it with you or keep your eyes on it - it's not tricky, is it?

Steven "has never had anything nicked from him in a boozer, but has had to stamp on a few wandering hands to keep it that way" Raith.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

How many thefts are real?

I'm sure a lot of people report thefts to get new handsets!

3. An Unwashed Mass

Not stolen

I find the problem of having my handset on a verticality-challenging evening out is more to do with it surviving intact rather than being stolen

I lost an SE K750i one NYE after dropping it while texting someone and a fat heffer stepped on it

My XDA Orbit was my own fault as I put my keys in the wrong pocket then experienced a gravitational fluctuation which altered the orbital pull of a nearby wall (nothing to do with the beer, guv) and caused a fatal (for the phone) collision

Mine's the one with the fragmented touchscreens in the pocket

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

RE:Phones only go missing in pubs..

You can also loose them by not doing up your bag properly...

I know, having lost my last Mobile that way (A 4 week onld Nokia E61).

The diffrence is, I didn't do it in the pub. Going about 60 on my Bike I felt somthing hit my leg, and saw somthing smash in the road in my wing mirror. I thought the car in front had thrown rubbish out of the window. Only when I got home did I realise my bag was not properly closed, and my phone was gone. Oops.

5. Lloyd
    Pirate

Bah

I've lost 2 phones in my lifetime, one fell out of my pocket in a cab and the other one was stolen from my hand whilst I was talking on it by a kid on a bmx, the first can kinda be blamed on my own actions, the second, not.

6. Hugh_Pym
    Stop

the list appears to be cities which ...

... have the largest number of migrant worker/asylum seekers. I'm not blaming 'bloody foreigners' 'cus they we can breed our own crims quite well enough thanks. To me transient population = ready market for easily transported high value goods. It makes sense to me that thieving requires easily available resources and accessible markets. the movement of populations opens up markets no end. the number of city centre bars, especially true of Leicester, makes large number of mobe easy for light fingers.

Look at the fact the Cambridge is top of the list Oxford is nowhere.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@hugh_pim

I'd have to agree with you 100%, leicester is a true multicultural city, everyone gets robbed regardless of colour by people of most usually non-english born nationality.....

But I guess that those sort of things cannot be commented upon for PC reasons.

Anonymous, as I don't want a fatwa.

8. Andrew Moore
    Paris Hilton

Sheesh

>You can also loose them

Bloody hell- only 4 messages in and we get the obligatory "I cannot spell 'lose'" message.

Paris Hilton- because to her, grammar is someone who lives with grampa...

9. Karl Lattimer

soft southerners

"one tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor."

where I come from (newcastle) thats

one tequila, two tequila, three tequila, four, five tequila, six tequila, seven tequila, floor...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@hugh_pim

your talking bollocks mate.

CAMBRIDGE topped the list and it as bugger all migrant worker/asylum seekers it has a lot of 'bloody foreigners' but they are all academics, students and scientists and aren't known for nicking mobile phones.

The local pikey YOB's from Arbury have, however, got it down to a fine art and favour victims who are foreigners.

Mines the one without the chip on the shoulder.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@Karl Lattimer

eight doesn't rhyme with floor?

12. Captain DaFt
    Pirate

@Karl Lattimer

Um, where I come from, the "one tequila. two tequila" refers to bottles, not glasses!

So you blokes in Newcastle pass out after HALF a bottle? (Assuming the standard 16 drinks per bottle.)

Skull and crossbones, because a decent drink comes with warning labels to let you know it's worth drinking!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

floor?

when i worked in a night club it was closer to:

one stock room, two stock rooms, three stock rooms, floor

...AC because i think they actually thought they sold most of their stock every night, even when the tills only reported a few grand

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like