back to article Wolfenstein: The New Order ... BLAM-BLAM! That guard did Nazi that coming

I doubt very much when Philip K. Dick wrote The Man in the High Castle that he imagined the very same subject matter could be dealt with in such a rip-roaring, gore splattering, dual-wielding romp. The victorious Nazis are no match for Wolfenstein's B.J. Blazkowicz. Wolfenstein: The New Order Wolfenstein: The New Order – a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alistair
    Pint

we have a copy.

I know what my weekend will be spent doing. Will just have to wrestle the teenager away from *MY* game dammit!

2. Sir Runcible Spoon
    Paris Hilton

Sir

Are we to assume this was on the PS4 or did I miss the bit where it said what the platform was?

1. Richard 81

Re: Sir

It's out on PC, PS 3, PS 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

1. GregC

and according to the small print after the rating "Wolfenstein: The New Order was tested on the PlayStation 4"

Note to El Reg editors - this information would be better displayed more prominently, my first questions about a game review are usually what platform reviewed, and what ones available

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

PS4. It says it at the very bottom of the article.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Thanks peeps, I should point out that it wasn't there when I posted my question, I'm not totally blind :)

3. Eradicate all BB entrants

As I was let down ....

.... by the last version I will wait till the price drops a tad. And anyway, this weekend is Tropico 5 :D

4. Alan Bourke

PC version apparently has issues with AMD cards

and did I hear talk of a 10GB day one patch?

1. FeersumEndjinn

Re: PC version apparently has issues with AMD cards

Yup - approx 10GB patch for PC.

There are some issues with AMD cards, but updating the drivers to 14.4 sorted that out. Took about 10 minutes to sort it out.

2. David 138

Re: PC version apparently has issues with AMD cards

It played ok on my Radeon 6950. I enjoyed this game been a while since i have seen a decent single player.

5. Tom 11
    Headmaster

ARGHGHGHG

LASER not laser or lazer. particularly not lazer, you should be shot for that.

How ever, good review, can't wait to play my copy this eve :)

1. Alan Bourke

Re: ARGHGHGHG

LAYZORZ

PEW PEW

2. DJO Silver badge

German accent don't you know:

Light Amplification by Ztymulated Emission of Radiation.

3. Elmer Phud
      Mushroom

"LASER not laser or lazer."

Don't get no 'laser' on no frikkin' sharks!

4. deadlockvictim

If I remember correctly, if the collection of initials is pronounced as a word (such as LASER then it is written as a normal word in that language, such as laser). On the other hand, if the initials in the collection of initials are pronounced separately, then they are written in capitals, such as NBC, BBC, UN and so on.

Although, that being said, I write TARDIS in capitals and pronounce it as a word, so I'm not very consistent.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Laser is an acronym. CIA is an initialism.

2. Michael Strorm Silver badge

@deadlockvictim

"NATO"

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Can I play, Daddy?"

The "Can I play, Daddy?" setting is actually a nod to Wolfenstein 3D.

Where is your gaming history?

1. A. Coatsworth Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: "Can I play, Daddy?"

And, although it's not mentioned in the article, I'll bet the other 2 difficulty settings are "bring it on" and "I am death incarnate"

7. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

An honest question...

Do they have to change things to market this in Germany? I'm just asking as I really don't know the answer, and I'm not sure how these sorts of things go down in de Fazerland.

1. TonkaToys
      Holmes

Re: An honest question...

I read on the Beeb that they removed all references to Nazis and replace it with The Regime.

Linkety: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27488254

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> I read on the Beeb that they removed all references to Nazis and replace it with The Regime.

The Register?

2. Tenacal

From what I've heard, German copies had Nazis replaced by The Regime and all swastikas were replaced by another logo.

I think this is PC copies only though, consoles apparently escaped the censorship .

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"From what I've heard, German copies had Nazis replaced by The Regime and all swastikas were replaced by another logo."

Like this?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=rbs+logo&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gfe_rd=cr&ei=NAN-U8qTAsXa8gfx0IGYBQ

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

I hear "other logos" can be had in Ukraine now.

8. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Angel

"personally I can't think of a more brutally entertaining way to spend this coming Bank Holiday weekend."

A lady who likes FPS's??? I think I just fell in love. Want to get together over some Far Cry 3 multi-player? A little dual-play Splinter Cell? I'll be a gent and let you plant the first Claymore mine.

1. joeW

Don't be that guy. Nobody likes that guy.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@NoneSuch

"Hi! few things to start off with =] 1. yes I added you because you're a female gamer, 'tis an awesome thing to see! 2. I'm Brian. 3. Don't be intimidated, but I'm not a stereotypical guy. If anything, I'll be the one in the kitchen."

9. RyokuMas
    Thumb Up

"Wot no multiplayer?"

When you consider what else is out there, it's refreshing to see such focus on a single player game...

... even if it is yet another first person shooter...

10. Fibbles

Structure?

Am I the only one who wishes these game reviews were a bit more structured? They often seem to read like the over excited rambling of some kid who breathlessly uses a hell of a lot of words to say absolutely nothing.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: Structure?

I'd rather an excited kid than a Geoffrey Boycott telling us about sidestepping down a corridor of uncertainty.

2. Eugene Goodrich
      Paris Hilton

Re: Structure?

I believe their structure is roughly like this for the average just-out game review:

* Headline - game title and pun

* Lede - connects the item being reviewed to something completely unrelated and extant, demonstrating also the value of a college English major

* Badass picture

* Starting game up, starting gameplay

* Badass picture

* Initial reviewer experience as they get into the game

* Badass picture

* Brief early plot discussion

* Badass picture (This one similar to one you may have seen in the trailer)

* How game mechanics work / comparisons to previous game versions

* Badass picture

* Technical operation

* Badass picture

* Game mechanics / game content discussion with developer or player point-of-view in mind

* Badass picture

* Discussion of game mechanics nuances or lack thereof

* Technically useful or descriptive picture

* Brief discussion of further gameplay experience of reviewer who is now getting into, or is really into, the swing of things

* Another picture

* Sum up

Note: ideally, each picture should be captioned with a pun pertinent to what's being shown in the picture.

1. Kane
        Joke

Re: Structure?@Eugene Goodrich

You've worked in gaming journalism before, haven’t you?

11. Dangermouse 1

Laserkraftwerk - Laser power station? Wouldn't that be a bit heavy to carry around?

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Laserkraftwerk

Wir tötung tötung tötung auf der Autobahn

12. El_Fev

Mouse and Keyboard

Gamepads are for girls

1. Dave Stevens

Re: Mouse and Keyboard

You do realize Mouse and Keyboard makes the game substantially easier?

1. Lamont Cranston

Re: Mouse and Keyboard

Mouse certaily offers faster, more accurate aiming, but scrunching one's left hand into a claw for the keyboard element is murder, if held for any significant amount of time.

Aim assist and a decent gamepad, please (along with resigning oneself to getting repeatedly owned in multiplayer).

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PS4 best platform to play this on.

Better than PC and Xbox One... The PC version is really poor apparently, and Xbox One version only slightly better.

And before the PC gaming eliteists arrive with their FUD, PS4 has the entire game running from a single CPU/GPU pool of insanely fast GDDR5, and none of the legacy busses and bridges and fast/slow memory pools to have to deal with...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: PS4 best platform to play this on.

Obvious flamebait troll is obvious

2. Graham Lockley

Nah, this was made with the ZX81 as the target platform...

3. poopypants

I have no problem playing it at 2560 x 1440 on my Titan.

1. Levente Szileszky

That's not 4K, more like 2.5K.

As a matter of fact 1440p is so far from 4K that it requires less than HALF of the total number of pixels rendered.

1440p is not a challenge for some time now, even a 2-y old, now ~$300 Radeon 7970 works more or less fine with 2560x1440 (sans latest-greatest or crappiest engines w/ all bling enabled) but a similarly priced GeForce GTX 770 should also do it if you want to stick to Nvidia, no need for a Titan.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Can the PS4 do 4K?

Didn't think so...

1. Levente Szileszky

It can streaming video, perhaps. :)

Games: no way. Witness as developers are struggling to even get constant 1080p60 for multiplayer mode (most single-player runs at 1080p30 or lower resolution.)

5. Daniel B.
      Boffin

As much as I like the PS4, and as much as it is better in the tech department over the X-Bone … both consoles are basically rebadged PCs with mad GPU specs. I weeped when I found out that the next gen consoles were falling to the x86 dark side. I'm guessing the PC version has the appeal that most id games have: the ability to churn out mods.

Sadly, it seems that this one wasn't made by id Software but by someone else using the idTech engine. Still I'd like to check it out. Though I'll have to do so on PC, because my stepson has been glued to GTA5 Online and I can't get him to give up the PS3...

6. Levente Szileszky

...assuming you prefer fumbling aimlessly around with useless controller buttons in any FPS instead of using the far-superior keyboard+mice combo on a PC. :)

14. Tom 38
    Thumb Up

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

Trollface

Natürlich, Herr Thomas Achtundreissig. Natürlich...

15. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Holmes

Btw, if some hasn't yet read "The Man in the High Castle"

"Sehr empfohlen"

It also has, in a very concrete sense, relatively little to do with Nazis. About as much as Star Wars has to do with spaceships.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great, I can't wait

Until it is in the discount bin.

Never buy games at full price.

1. tfewster
      Mushroom

Re: Great, I can't wait

Or - if it has "only" dropped to half price after 6 months and it's still being talked about - then it might be worth a look!

17. SiliconSlick
    Coat

"Wot no multiplayer? With a playtime of about 20-plus hours and no multiplayer, some may quibble at the £40 price tag, but personally I can't think of a more brutally entertaining way to spend this coming Bank Holiday weekend."

Masturbation is a lot cheaper and given the lack of multiplayer works out to be about the same in terms of satisfaction.

SS (who'll stick with RTCW/ET, even if they are "ancient")

(coat for obvious reasons)

1. Levente Szileszky

The rather ET: Quake Wars for me... though from that period UT2004 was hands-down the best MP, in Onslaught mode, particularly.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Masturbation works better multi-player tbh, or "multi-ball-mode" as I like to call it.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Masturbation is a lot cheaper and given the lack of multiplayer works out to be about the same in terms of satisfaction.

Lack of multiplayer???

18. Teiwaz

Ooh, tempting

Haven't played an FPS in some time (was XIII an FPS or 3rd person, can't recall, that's how long ago).

This is making me a little nostalgic. Might just get it, might be the last game I get for the 360...

Last wolfie game I played left me feeling very Fable (that feeling when you let the marketing get you over-stimulated, resulting in depression after you finally get it and realise it doesn't meet the promises/expectations).

19. Boothy

20 hours gameplay

I stopped buying FPS games about 2 years or so ago due to them all being about 6 to 7 hours long, and I have little interest in multiplayer.

So that's two short, or one long session and your games done. Hardly value for money.

20 hours though, this might temp me back. Although PC for me.

1. Zot

Re: 20 hours gameplay

You do spend a lot of time watching a bad B-movie though. Cut-scenes, cut-scenes, cut-scenes.

Most of them are unstoppable as well.

I hate it when they take over the mouse. Use the game play as the narrative! Bloody wannabe film makers.

20. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    Coat

"I'm not sure whether it's my new Creative VO ZXR gaming headset but, boy, this game is tooth-rattlingly loud."

It's probably your volume control.

1. Kane
      Joke

Or the wracking guilt from such a shameless plug.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£40 price tag

saw it for 50 quid at asda and thought: verdammt, am I that old?!

1. Zot

Re: £40 price tag

Got on Steam for £34.99 - it also came with the promise of playing the new Doom beta when it's out - I couldn't resist.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a comment from the sidelines

I saw a demo the other night, and I so did my dear wife. We had a short, but strangely interesting conversation. She voiced an opinion that this is "disgusting" and "too much". Why, what's the problem? I asked, didn't you play those games when you were in your, ehm... teens, and such? Yes, she did. So, what's the problem? After all, you smeared the nasty nazis and blasted them to pieces just as well when they were more cubic, and "mmx" was the buzzword, etc. It's not like the games were "nice" 30 years ago, and suddenly they're all vicious and nasty NOW?! All that's changed is the hardware, better, faster, looks more realistic.

Well, actually, this was it - REALISTIC. She says that when you played THEN, because of this awful un-realism, you were well-aware you just played a silly game. Now (she was particularly moved to see the stab-to-the-neck sequences) it's just not... fun anymore. Stabbing people and blowing holes through them is not fun. It's too real, too close to killing and torturing real people.

Unfortunately she's got a point. Now I think I won't use a dagger in that game...

(this last remark would be a typical quip by the perfect "target audience". Roar of applause from his mates. My mates).

1. The Commenter formally known as Matt
      Facepalm

Re: a comment from the sidelines

Except 'back then' one of the main complaints was the 'violent' games were to realistic and kids/people couldn't tell them from real life.

When you were younger you probably scoffed at those comments, now you are older (and, of-course, wiser) you are making the same comments and the kids are rolling their eyes and scoffing at you!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: a comment from the sidelines

> I saw a demo the other night, and I so did my dear wife.

Did it really get you that excited?

23. finisterre

more history would have been good,,ta.

Well, why not listen to Hillary Kerry interminably going on about Munich and Hitler. Apparently the Prince of Wales has joined the chorus in his inimitable way. Isn't that enough?

24. Sanctimonious Prick
    Trollface

Twenty Hours?

Bulldust!! I spent possibly hundreds of hours playing the original Wolfenstein!

Think I'll try it out on TPB before committing my dosh.

25. saundby
    Headmaster

There are two b's in 'instagibbing'.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like