back to article Apple DOMINATES the Valley, rakes in more profit than Google, HP, Intel, Cisco COMBINED

Apple again dominated all Silicon Valley competition in 2013, so much so that in the San Jose Mercury News' SV150 annual ranking, it raked in more revenue than numbers two and three combined, and more profits than the four below it, taken together. List of the top 15 companies in the San Jose Mercury News SV150 The top 15 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. cyke1

well when you can take hardware that cost same as everyone else's and sell it at 2-300% mark up, yet people still buy it cause they are idiots. You will have insane profits, google may not have the insane $ but they are seen as a much better company as most their products are FREE.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Free?

Only if you don't mind giving away your personal information to be used in ways you can't control or know anything about.

Never forget: you aren't Google's customer, you're their product.

2. SJG

Four years ago I switched my laptop to a Mac after various Windows machines since Windows 2000. My previous employer (last year) mandated I use a brand new Lenovo on Windows 7. I hated every minute and my new enlightened employer allows me to use my four year old Macbook Pro. They gave me a brand new Lenovo but it sits unopened in its box - I prefer the four year old Mac to a brand new Lenovo on W7.

At home I mainly run Linux Mint (I may go back to Ubunu in the next version) and it's my development platform of choice. I despise the Apple lock-in and I have Android phones and tablets and I haven't used itunes for many years since I left my iPod on a plane.

I also built my 14 year old daughter a windows based games machine about a year ago; much faster that our family shared iMac. Yet my wife and daughter still argue over who gets the iMac.

So, for all those semi-religious apple haters/lovers, please give it a rest. It's your money, go buy whatever you want, but please stop telling everyone else that they're idiots.

1. Ted Treen
        Thumb Up

@SJG (or in praise of him)

"It's your money, go buy whatever you want, but please stop telling everyone else that they're idiots.

At last - a (very rare) comment of such total common sense and rationality that I feel SJG should be stuffed, mounted and preserved on the wall as an example of how to reason properly.

If you can use what you're comfortable with (any platform) then why should you face vituperative invective from those whose choice(s) might be otherwise?

3. Valerion

>>well when you can take hardware that cost same as everyone else's and sell it at 2-300% mark up, yet people still buy it cause they are idiots. You will have insane profits, google may not have the insane $ but they are seen as a much better company as most their products are FREE.

As per the article:

Google profit margin: 22%

Apple profit margin: 21%

Theory fail.

4. Chris 3

Yes of course...

... the reason Apple products sell is because anyone who buys them are idiots. That must be the reason, obviously.

2. Glenn Amspaugh

Marketing!

But, but, but, I thought Apple was just a marketing company, peddling copycat designs from real companies like HP and Dell, for 3x the $$$, for similar shaped boxen! How could they make so much money over so many years when geeks have been telling the apple customers how stupid they are?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Marketing!

"How could they make so much money over so many years when geeks have been telling the apple customers how stupid they are?"

Because the stupid zombies don't listen.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

FWIW, the geeks at Google are in majority using Apple laptops…

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

FWIW, the geeks at Google are in majority using Apple laptops…

evidently all of google's profits are being spent on over priced apple hardware.

2. Bladeforce

Actually most use Ubuntu

2. Michael Thibault

Could it be that they're neither stupid nor zombies and they're tuning you and your ilk out in the same way most people tune out white noise? Just asking.

Downvotes go here, you bitter, slack-jawed, soulless whiners!

2. ckm5

Most geeks here in SV have Macs.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And The Highest Profit Margin Winner Is.........

Larry and his budget priced software.

Kerching !

4. Tromos

I don't suppose...

...that Apple paying more tax than the 4 companies below it combined had anything whatsoever to do with making more profit than the same 4 combined.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't suppose...

in fact, they may be directly related...

5. Craig 2

On the subject of overpriced Apple:

Extended family has between them: iPads, iPod touch, iPhone 3GS, iPhone4, iPhone5S, Nexus 7, MotoG & Galaxy S4. I like Google's approach of good solid hardware with low cost, but I prefer the UI on Apple devices. (Even after de-cluttering Android) I definitely prefer family members using Apple devices because they cause far less support issues. The 3GS was recently handed down, wiped and setup from scratch and it's still a viable, usable phone for a light user.

Apple kit is expensively priced, but I don't think its that much overpriced.

I feel so dirty, I'm off to the corner to hang my head in shame.

6. <shakes head>

apple only 13th in margin

how curious

7. ColonelClaw

"According to the Merc, Apple paid $13.2bn in taxes, far more than Intel's $3bn, Google's $2.3bn, Cisco's $1.9bn, and HP's $1.5bn. In fact, Apple paid more in taxes than those companies combined, plus eBay and Oracle."

Ok, that is surprising. I wonder why? Public shaming actually worked for once? Whatever, it's good news.

8. Bladeforce

Highest earners...

highest cliff too precariously balancing on the edge

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like