back to article Speaking in Tech: When will I buy a 4K TV? When they make one that LOOKS COOL

speaking_in_tech Greg Knieriemen podcast enterprise The S.I.T. crew start the new year off with a bang with a killer episode of the tech podcast. This week, Sarah Vela takes an extra week of vacation while Greg Knieriemen and Ed Saipetch chum it up with Mark Twomey of EMC, better known as StorageZilla. This week, none of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete 2 Silver badge

When will *I* buy a 4K TV

Choose any of:

1 - When there is sufficient content that I want which is exclusively available in 4k definition. Let's say: every film release for the previous 5 years.

2 - When I need a new TV and the price of a 4k set is within 25% of a standard (2k) HDMI for the same screen size

3 - There is some killer tech / app that won't work with my existing 2K technology

4 - When I lose all sense of proportion and get caught up in the hype

5 - When 8k comes out and 4k sets are on sale and I need to replace a 2k set

Personally, I reckon that with the exception of (3) - which will never happen - these are in approximate chronological order. So the clock will start ticking as soon as all major films stop being released in 1920x1080 format. Which is probably a long, long way away.

1. Pahhh

Re: When will *I* buy a 4K TV

List seems about right.

I think I've skipped 1-3 though and going straight for 4.

My 50" Plasma is almost 8 years old. Problem is there isnt anything wrong with the sucker...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: When will *I* buy a 4K TV

Pahhh, I have a hammer if you want to borrow it.

2. Gareth Gouldstone
    Happy

British houses...

are rarely built to accomodate screens larger than than 40". Maybe house-builders could start to get more generous with the proportions so that the larger screens do not dominate the living space. Nothing looks more naff than a 60" screen in a 10' * 12' room!

1. Wilseus

Re: British houses...

The trouble with that is, in a larger room you're sat further from the larger screen, so you're effectively back where you started!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...when there is a cure for for presbyopia.

4. Rabster

You might enjoy this http://tiamat.tsotech.com/4k-is-for-programmers

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like