back to article Microsoft hires Pawn Stars to shaft Google

Microsoft has turned its guns on the Google Chromebook as the "Scroogled" campaign enters its nastiest phase yet. Redmond has hired the stars of a reality television show called Pawn Stars to help with its anti-Google Scroogled campaign. In an imitation of an episode of the show, a reality programme about the colourful …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't you put something more useful on the Chrome hardware like Windows?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You spelt Linux wrong.

1. JDX Gold badge

>>You spelt Linux wrong.

So did you. It's called GNU/Linux.

1. Crisp

Really hardcore computer users don't use linux or windows

They write their own operating systems from scratch!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Really hardcore computer users don't use linux or windows

> Really hardcore computer users

...don't need no operating system.

1. FlossyThePig

Who is old enough to remember the Singer/ICL System Ten? No operating system on that box.

2. BillG
            Happy

Really hardcore

Cute girl. What was the video about?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: Really hardcore

> What was the video about?

Butthurt.

3. busycoder99
            Boffin

I don't think you can use Scratch to write an operating system.

1. Jes.e

Maybe all you need is an EMACS implementation then..

2. Frankee Llonnygog

It's called GNU/Linux.

Pronounced "nullinucks". As in 'I gave him a swift kick in the nullinucks'

3. big_D Silver badge

Yep, don't let RMS see this thread, he'll blow a fuse, or brick his BIOS.

2. cambsukguy

and you spelt wrongly wrongly, so you can be safely ignored, much like Linux I suppose.

2. John Tserkezis

"Can't you put something more useful on the Chrome hardware like Windows?"

Sometimes. They're not just plain ordinary Intel PC boxes.

With at least one, you need a hacked version of the firmware (along with the risks of bricking that go with that), then you can load ordinary windows onto the laptop.

With others, it's impossible. So no, it's not a seamless, easy and cheap way to get a wintel laptop.

3. Carpe Jugular

Chrome OS is based on Linux

1 RDP to a windows box or "wine".

Wine won’t run on ARM but will work properly on Intel Chromebooks.

2 install Ubuntu or the like...

4. ColonelDare

Can't you put something more useful ...

Yes - Ubuntu Linux.

[Writing this on my Chromebook now fully equipped with Firefox, Thunderbird, LibreOffice Gimp etc etc thanks to the clever developer(s) of the 'Crouton' script]

Brilliant!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

!Subtle under tones

Hi thanks for having me on.

This advert REMINDS me of those strange sort of AMERICAN adverts that emphasise WORDS they REALLY want the watchers to take AWAY. The SORT of advert that REPEATS the MESSAGE so that the OBVIOUSLY stupid watchers NEED to be told MANY times.

In the ADVERT they will EMPHASIZE words so that people WATCHING the video get the MESSAGE.

The MESSAGES in these VIDEO is often EMPHASISED to make sure the viewers get the MESSAGE.

Ideally they should end with a single line SUMMING up the MESSAGE because the viewers will only remember the LAST MESSAGE because they are obviously stupid.

I refuse to believe the average American is THAT stupid.

Thanks it's been a pleasure.

1. Fihart

Re: !Subtle under tones

"Tell 'em what you're going to tell them. Tell them. Then tell 'em what you've just told 'em".

And the other old marketing cliche. "Nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American public".

However, for all the stupidity of the advertising, Microsoft does have a point. Chromebook is a bit useless without a decent broadband connection.

1. John Tserkezis

"However, for all the stupidity of the advertising, Microsoft does have a point. Chromebook is a bit useless without a decent broadband connection."

Agreed. Their marketing champaign is sleazy at the least, but they're still right, chromebooks are pretty useless, especially so if you lose your internet connection.

1. VinceH

"Their marketing champaign is sleazy at the least, but they're still right, chromebooks are pretty useless, especially so if you lose your internet connection."

It's also a bit hypocritical given what they were originally going to do with the Xbone.

2. John_G

I think people get by now that a Chromebook is limited without an internet connection. So what? If I want to check my email, watch an online video, check my (google) calendar or buy something online then a top of the range PC is pretty bloody useless without an internet connection.

If a chromebook offered enough of a price advantage, performance advantage or battery/size advantage then I'd be tempted to get one over a standard laptop if I was looking for one or the other.

3. Nuke
          Meh

@John Tserkezis - Re: !Subtle under tones

Wrote :- "they're still right, chromebooks are pretty useless, especially so if you lose your internet connection"

I might be wrong, havn't used Windows for years, but I have the impression that you can't get very far with Windows without an internet connection these days, especially with their newer software rental business model.

4. Pookietoo

Re: pretty useless, especially so if you lose your internet connection

Office 365 anyone?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"However, for all the stupidity of the advertising, Microsoft does have a point. Chromebook is a bit useless without a decent broadband connection."

You've fallen for the ads as well?

Firstly when is the last time you used a laptop without an internet connection? It is probably a very rare occurrence.

However Chromebooks have local storage (usb, sdcard) for movies, music etc. All documents from Google Drive can be simply opened locally for offline use (they re-sync automatically when you get a connection). Emails can be read and responded to offline (they are uploaded when re-connected). Many apps can be used offline., etc.

Finally, isn't Microsoft trying to get everyone to use their cloud services, anyway?

In fact most of what you would want or expect to do can be done offline with a chromebook.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Firstly when is the last time you used a laptop without an internet connection? It is probably a very rare occurrence."

On my last hours-long flight, last week? It's a very rare occurrence if you don't travel only. And even when not flying, if you're in a foreign country with no free wifi access and crazy data roaming prices, you may want to keep your wireless data usage to a minimum.

Chromebooks are useful only for nerds who never leave their basement.

2. big_D Silver badge

Last time I used a Notebook without an internet connection? About 10 minutes ago. Well, it was my Windows tablet, but no internet connection.

3. cambsukguy

Why would I write an email on a laptop for uploading later when I almost certainly can knock it off on a 'phone and send it now? It would have to be a pretty complicated email.

I would almost certainly tether the Chromebook to the phone and then work.

This is fine if you pay for the extra data required for commonly doing that. I presume editing on-line, mapping etc. can get pretty data intensive.

Still, a laptop without connection metering would be worse for sure and as bad at best.

The overall problem is that I could not do with just a Chromebook so I would own a laptop anyway.

Useful for people with powerful desktops instead I guess or people with the spare money.

Because they are not that cheap I would buy a netbook or a surface anyway.

4. RyokuMas
          Coat

"Firstly when is the last time you used a laptop without an internet connection? It is probably a very rare occurrence."

Every morning and evening, actually - on the train to and from work. I have a laptop because I need a development machine. If I wanted to just browser the web, I'd get a tablet.

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> Firstly when is the last time you used a laptop without an internet connection?

I'm doing that right now!!

Errr... :-b

2. Crisp

REMINDS AMERICAN WORDS REALLY AWAY SORT REPEATS MESSAGE OBVIOUSLY NEED MANY. ADVERT EMPHASIZE WATCHING MESSAGE. MESSAGES VIDEO EMPHASISED MESSAGE. SUMMING MESSAGE LAST MESSAGE THAT.

Damn. It doesn't look like there's a secret message in there at all. Maybe there's some other kind of cypher I'm missing.

1. Havin_it
        Childcatcher

Yoda, please don't take any more cocaine, we're really worried about you.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: !Subtle under tones - FIXTED

Hi thanks for having me on.

This advert reminds me of those strange sort of AMERICAN ADVERTS that EMPHASISE words they really want the watchers to take away. The sort of advert that repeats the message so that the obviously stupid watchers need to be told many times.

In the advert they will emphasize WORDS so that people watching the video get the message.

The messages in these video is often emphasised TO MAKE SURE THE VIEWERS GET THE MESSAGE.

Ideally they should end with a single line summing up the message BECAUSE the viewers will only remember the last message because they are obviously stupid.

I refuse to believe THE AVERAGE AMERICAN IS THAT STUPID.

Thanks it's been a pleasure.

3. cambsukguy

You haven't been to the USA much I am guessing, one can hardly make any ironic or especially sarcastic comments that aren't followed by jk, jk or something to explain quickly. Obviously I am talking about the North and West in general, I wouldn't risk it at all below the Mason-Dixon line.

All the American shows, network ones at least, always assume the viewer is that dumb, constant flashbacks to three minutes ago where a particular event crucial to the on-going plot occurred.

Constant channel changing is the culprit I expect

1. Don Jefe

Sarcasm is an art that was never practiced in this country. Approximately 49% of US inhabitants couldn't correctly identify sarcasm if their lives depended on it. About 49% of the remainder have a severe humor deficiency all the way around, due to the fact that they're in over their heads regarding life in general.

Most problems can't be shot or eaten so they feel helpless, thus humorless. The remainder are the weird people who had too much school and foreigners who can't speak English. The foreigners are assumed to only be discussing drug smuggling, impregnating white women or their massive campaign to take all the jobs, so it doesn't matter what they say.

Irony is something the women do when they're bored. Alternatively, irony is kids with wealthy parents advancing a corporate beer marketing campaign by eschewing corporate marketing campaigns.

There are advantages though. When party guests have overstayed their welcome you can start a run of Flying Circus and within 20mins everybody is gone. You can also deliver devastating insults and have no fear of repercussions as they'll believe you've just paid them a huge compliment.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The sound of one hand clapping.

If an insult falls and nobody understands it is it really an insult?

1. Don Jefe

Re: The sound of one hand clapping.

It's even better if the insult isn't understood due to the targets ignorance. It's a 2 for 1 deal.

2. climbgeek

Re: The sound of one hand clapping.

The sound of one hand clapping is 'CL'. The other goes 'AP'. (Terry Pratchett, I think)

2. Nasty Nick

Deprressing, but I don't think the septics have a monopoly on having a generally ignorant population anymore (assuming that was ever true) . Going on my experience of what seems to be the most popular telly and Brit news Interweb, us Brits are running you yanks a very close second if not leading by a head.

A quick rummage through recent news stories on the most popular sites (Daily Mail, Metro), especially those concerning more "technical" news , will show us up, both in the language used in reporting and that used in the public responses.

I don't think this a class/wealth related issue either, except that if you come from a wealthy back ground there is less excuse for being a dumbass than if you come from a "less wealthy" background.

4. tony2heads

There are individual very smart Americans (I know several) but I am afraid that the average is very low indeed.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sadly, the average American is that stupid. What's even more sad is that half of them are worse than that.

3. poopypants

The overwhelming message I get from these ads

is that Microsoft is both desperate and sleazy.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: The overwhelming message I get from these ads

Or they are targeting ads according to market. There was that anime IE thing in Japan the other week... and this kind of brazen ugly advertising is normal in the States, their TV/radio advertising is VERY different to ours.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Microsoft also had an advertising campaign in Japan based around the recent Ghost in the Shell: Arise anime.

It showed various members of Section 9 doing what they do holding and passing around a Surface, which contained some important data or something.

The problem with this, as anybody who is familiar with GITS knows, is that the people shown (I remember at least Motoko and Batau in the ads) are cyberised, i.e. they are cyborgs with cyber-brains (implanted computers) together with some kick-ass comms. They had absolutely no need for a Microsoft surface to do the things that they were supposed to be using it for!

Just showed that either MS or their advertising agency really did not know what they were doing. I suspect that the animators probably felt a bit dirty to have done the ads, but only until the money hit the bank!

I think that the ads are still knocking around on YouTube if you want to see them yourself.

1. John Bailey

"Just showed that either MS or their advertising agency really did not know what they were doing. I suspect that the animators probably felt a bit dirty to have done the ads, but only until the money hit the bank!"

Didn't Microsoft almost get vista advertised on Family guy?

PR department thinking fail is not exactly a rare occurrence.

In fairness though.. Is it any worse than Cybermen talking to each other.

2. Horridbloke

@Peter Gathercole

Thanks for that. I really enjoyed the Ghost In the Shell tv series a decade ago and I've just watched that offending advert. I don't think I've ever seen anything miss the point so badly before.

Oh, and cheers for the heads-ups about the new GITS...

4. ratfox

Chromebooks must be doing well

It's impressive that Microsoft is feeling threatened by the, what, 1% marketshare of Chromebooks?

Trollface

Re: Chromebooks must be doing well

I sure am interested in getting one now ...

5. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

it doesn't have Office.

So that'd be a plus then… Funny, I just bought a laptop recently, and it didn't come with Office either. Not that its 32-bit version of Windows 7 lasted very long.

In fact, I wonder what stops a Chromebook from running Office 365…? Isn't it meant to be "web" based?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. JDX Gold badge

Office 365 includes native applications - Word/Excel/etc you install as normal - AND web-applications which you can run through your browser on Chromebook.

2. big_D Silver badge

Nothing, you can access Office 365 online components with Chrome. You just don't get all of the features, the speed or the reliability of having it installed locally - especially if you don't have constant internet access.

6. Chad H.

I'm really not impressed with this child like behaviour on MS's part. Whilst I agree with their gripes about google and the chrome book; this whole campaign seems very immature.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Agreed, this is a very American publicity method; knock down your client's product rather than presenting your own. It always make me wonder what they are hiding….

2. Tom 260

It's been a bit odd in the UK watching the hotmail (sorry, outlook) adverts that big it up as being private vs gmail's web interface which has targeted ads... except I use the pop3 servers on both, so miss the ads. The hotmail one has crap spam filters too, doesn't block the spammers using hotmail or academic domains among others.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

POP3?

Do you know there's a more modern, better protocol called IMAP4 which lets you to sync your mailbox across different devices easily also?

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: POP3?

And some people may have missed the news. but you can use IMAP on hotmail now. It was introduced a couple of months ago.

1. Roo

Re: POP3?

"And some people may have missed the news. but you can use IMAP on hotmail now. It was introduced a couple of months ago."

I can't recommend Hotmail on the basis of POP3 or IMAP access over the long term. I found that Microsoft had a habit of breaking it for weeks and months at a time (no prior notice, explanations, apologies etc) - usually whenever they revamped their service (ie: at least once every 2 years). On the first occasion they dropped POP3 support they didn't bother telling anyone - when queried they said I'd have to pay for it on the basis that it wasn't an official feature. I paid, they dropped POP3 for a long time a few months later. Their customer support was non-existent and by that I really do mean literally no customer service at all.

Maybe they have improved (they couldn't get any worse) now, but I don't think it's worth the trouble finding out.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> except I use the pop3 servers on both, so miss the ads

I thought the point they were making was not so much that you get ads but that your emails are being "read".

Of course they were the first to eagerly sign up to PRISM so it's a bit of a mixed bag really.

3. apjanes

Ads

"adverts that big it up as being private vs gmail's web interface which has targeted ads"

Personally I pride myself in having a modicum of intelligence and free will preventing me from getting unwillingly swayed by adverts no matter how targeted. If, by some slim chance, an advert DOES present me with something I'm interested in buying, I'm more likely to THANK Google than curse them!

7. Mystic Megabyte
    FAIL

RT?

That's a bit rich when all those Windows RT owners will be left up shit creek.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/26/microsoft-kill-windows-rt-larson-green

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: RT?

"This Surface RT isn't a real laptop," one says. "It doesn't have Windows it has RT which uses a titled interface, it has a half assed Office that runs like a dog. Without Wi-Fi those pretty tiles don't do much at all unless you suffer from epilepsy and when you are online, Microsoft sends you to bing and outlook. That's how you get Microshafted"

Joking aside though I think this is a pretty pathetic campaign. Chromebooks are aimed at people like my dear old ma who doesn't want to have to contend with AV scans / malware scans and installing Windows updates she just wants to be able to browse the web and use email and keep in touch with the grandkids.

Yeah it's a brick without a broadband connection, but in the last two years I can safely say I've lost less time to broadband not working than I have to Windows updates and all that other rubbish. Windows is just too complex for the average punter that the chromebook is aimed at and while a dumbed down RT went some of the way to resolve this issue it appears that it is about to be taken out the back and shot.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Yeah it's a brick without a broadband connection,"

Why is it a brick without broadband? You can do most stuff offline that you can do with a normal laptop, it has local storage for media and lots of apps, your docs, emails etc are available offline.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"This Surface RT isn't a real laptop," one says. "It doesn't have Windows it has RT which uses a titled interface, it has a half assed Office that runs like a dog. Without Wi-Fi those pretty tiles don't do much at all unless you suffer from epilepsy and when you are online, Microsoft sends you to bing and outlook. That's how you get Microshafted"

& you work in IT? Damn, your bosses must have been extremely desperate to employ you if this is the sort of drivel you come out with!

Surface RT is NOT a laptop, but a TABLET first of all which you can attach a keyboard to, just like you can with several Android tablets & iPad's. If it doesn't have Windows what does it run as it was Windows when you look at the properties & system information. That's like saying that Windows XP or NT were not real Windows.... Half assed Office? Haven't found anything in the Office 2013 that is supplied with RT that is missing from what the vast majority of people use on the desktop versions. With or without WiFi, those "pretty tiles" don't do much anyway as most users will revert to Desktop mode where the tiles are irrelevant! Microsoft doesn't send you anywhere you don't want to go to as you do have a choice going through the desktop IE (yes that's the only drawback, you don't have much of a choice of browsers).

I haven't found any need to run malware, AV or any other scans with RT nor pestered with windows updates (other than 8.1 update & the automatic Defender definitions update).

May be it is worth opening your eyes to things other than Google, and not slate things until you have actually used them, FYI I use most of the Google products on my desktop machines, as well as using a Surface RT most of the time when I am on-site rather than lugging a much heavier laptop with a lot lower battery life, yet can still do everything I need to do.

1. Jo 5

MS zombie. Anyone evangelical about MS gets pity from me and most others here.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Surface RT is NOT a laptop, but a TABLET first of all which you can attach a keyboard to

I know which is why I quite clearly said - "This Surface RT isn't a real laptop,"

Do a google image search on surface RT. Sorry do a bing image search on Surface RT... With the Google one 95% of the results returned show it with a keyboard. It is a tablet masquerading as a laptop

3. Richard Plinston

> Surface RT is NOT a laptop,

Absolutely, it is completely unusable on your lap. The floppy keyboard connection, the single poor screen angle (2! on Surface 2), the bad weight distribution (compared to a laptop), the distance from keyboard edge to rear stand forcing the keyboard too close. Swipe the screen wrong and it will go to the floor.

4. Richard Plinston

> That's like saying that Windows XP or NT were not real Windows.

No. It's like saying Windows Phone isn't real Windows. It isn't if it doesn't run real Windows applications or real Windows games.

3. Ian Ringrose

I think for your mother’s use case, a basic tablet would be better than a pretend laptop.

The Surface RT can be great if you need of-line access to Exchange email while on the train etc, as well as being able to work with MS-Office documents. However I tent to put in into the same camp as tablets and not think of it as a laptop.

8. JDX Gold badge

What next, Storage Hunters?

A scene where they bid like crazy after seeing a pile of laptops in a unit, only for the winner to realise they are worthless ChromeBooks?

1. Jess--

Re: What next, Storage Hunters?

A better option would be Windows RT Tablets

1. DrStrangeLug

Storage Hunter

As in hunting for storage, and finding that you can't actually add a microSD to an apple device.

9. frank ly

The response (in my dreams)

Just before Christmas, an advert appears on prime-time TV, peak viewing hours:

An office desk, with a laptop on it, running Windows, Larry Page and Tim Cook walk on-scene from opposite sides and both look at the laptop. They look at each other and say, "Windows!". They both turn to the camera and say, "It's a pile of shit." (The end).

10. mIRCat
    Windows

Two birds; one stone!

Marketing like this sums up why I don't use Microsoft products or regularly view 'reality' television in my personal life.

Microsoft, behaving like we should forget you settled with the DOJ over your monopolistic business practices, and ended up with a slap on the wrist, just because it was over a decade ago comes off as hypocritical, self-serving, and disingenuous. Also hiring reality 'tv stars' to sling mud on your competitors and push your products reeks of pandering to the lowest common denominator. You could always look into hiring a new advertising company.

That being said, I don't expect a tiger to change it's stripes.

Re: Two birds; one stone!

Its 'scripted reality' television.

Hopefully not using Visual Basic. Do they still have the patent on the "is not" pointer comparison operator btw?

11. Aaron Browne
    FAIL

Microsoft - Selling The Past

This is Microsoft trying to sell the past. Pretty much everything I do nowadays requires the Internet. Feedly, productivity and Citrix connectivity to work. Unless they can offline the whole Internet onto a Windows 8 laptop then effectively it is the same as a Chromebook for me. Note: I own a Samsung Chromebook.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Chromebook apps do have offline mode...

Chromebook app do have mode too. You can still write documents, play games etc. Just like any other laptop that doesn't have an internet connection.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/collection/offline_enabled

13. WinHatter

Reminds me of some other device ...

XBOX ONE where you need a patch to play offline ... how long before that is scrapped altogether ???

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Reminds me of some other device ...

"XBOX ONE where you need a patch to play offline ... how long before that is scrapped altogether ???"

That's because they started making several million consoles before the OS went RTM. The PS4 is the same.

14. Miek
    Coat

""This isn't a real laptop," one says. "It doesn't have Windows, it doesn't have Office. " - Sounds too good to be true!

15. Jo 5

Megapedant

1. Tim Parker
      Joke

"Megapedant"

Mega-pedant.

16. Jo 5

Love seeing MS butthurt. Their useful days are numbered. Most non innovative fair or interesting company in a good few decades.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Love seeing MS butthurt. "

You mean the record profits / revenues they recently declared?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft's burning platform?

The one thing that always kept wallet firmly in pocket, with Surface (the none pro version), has been my doubts about Microsoft's commitment to the platform. Looks like I was right.

Say what you want about Google turning your anonymised data into ads (not to mention giving your none anonymised data to the NSA), but at least Chrome OS seems to have a future.

18. Frankee Llonnygog

I understand Windows still has more market share than Chromebooks

These ads make it look like Microsoft thinks Chromebooks are a threat. Is that really the impression they want to give?

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hard-up Students..

...have bought a chromebook and saved $ in doing so but now have to pawn them.

Just wondering what their level of debt would have been if they had bought a laptop AND MS Office.

Sure they might have got a bit more for the laptop but aren't Microsoft's licenses non transferable?

Legally, wouldn't an new owner have to cough for a new office license?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

On a different tack ...

Who's the actress ? She's well buff.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've got this laptop.

"Sorry its not a real laptop - its Windows Surface RT - it doesn't have any software, can't run a full office suite..."

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"When you're not connected, it's pretty much a brick."

Microsoft is pushing Office365 and pushing for people to store their files in the cloud. If they do that, when you're not connected then you pretty much have a brick anyway. If you're not connected you can't get the myriad of patches from Microsoft either.

23. Roo

Microsoft, the 90s called, they want their FUD back.

They are unable to compete technically.

They are unable to compete financially.

They are unable to sue the opposition to oblivion.

They are unable to make the threat of removing their ad dollars stick.

They are unable to buy Google...

So they resort to their original Plan A, FUD.

It would be nice if they gave competing technically a shot for a change, you know, something positive that has benefits for their end users instead of trying to eliminate the competition via propaganda. Not entirely convinced that people seeking short-term loans is a promising growth area for Microsoft though...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft, the 90s called, they want their FUD back.

Strange that Microsoft are making so much money then....Record results last quarter.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Strange that Microsoft are making so much money then....Record results last quarter.

Yep, they're going supernova. Right now their profits appear to shine really brightly, and they've expanded to a very large size.

Soon as the core collapses though, you'll get one of two things: a white dwarf, or a black hole.

IBM became a white dwarf.

Facepalm

> Record results last quarter.

Because they would permit results to not be totally stellar so shortly before Captain Ballmer's departure?

2. Rumournz

the fact they jack up the ransom 10-30% err prices every year may have something to do with "record" results

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Running out of ammo

I rather think that once you have begun reliance on knocking copy in a campaign, you're practically down to your last gun. It speaks of desperation to maintain that someone else's box is not that good, when your own sales are going down the drain.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Running out of ammo

Indeed, because this strategy worked so well for the Labor party here in Australia, I guess Microsoft thinks it could work just as well for them.

I live in hope! Seeing another OS dominant will be a refreshing change.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it because everyone knows how honest the owners of pawn shops are?

26. Mike Flugennock
    Facepalm

What's the goddamn' deal with Microsoft's marketing zombies?

Are they really entirely incapable of learning from mistakes at all?

First the singing, dancing, clapping chorus lines at Microsoft shops at the shopping malls, then the Microsoft Morris Dancers, now this. What is the goddamn' deal with Microsoft's marketing types? I mean, it's not like anybody's putting a gun to their heads to get them to sign off on stuff like this. They come up with some crass, oily excuse for a marketing campaign, are laughed out of the place, and then they're back again later with something even more crass and oily?

Do they really have the memories of houseflies? Do they really think coming back with the same crassness and oiliness will produce different results? Are they consciously, proudly, gleefully stupid? What's the goddamn' deal?

1. Fihart

Re: What's the goddamn' deal with Microsoft's marketing zombies?

A lot of hard work to make a non-point about a competitor.

My guess is there's a lot of people who had never heard of a Chromebook who now have now. They may or may not remember Microsoft's negative message.

One thing is certain, Microsoft are spending money like water on a campaign which gives Google the oxygen of publicity and does little or nothing for Microsoft products.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Coat

back again later with something even more crass and oily

"Fracking" marketing. Literally!

3. Jes.e

I wish I could rant as concisely as you did there.

That was beautiful!

27. Jes.e

Chromebook vs Surface RT- A review

Let's review what the Chromebook was designed for shall we?

Check out the hysterical "How to remain calm, despite what's about to happen to your Chrome notebook" on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm-Vnx58UYo

This is actually that so called innovation in action.

As an alternate thought experiment, let's take your rather nice looking Surface RT tablet (which is a bit more expensive than a Chromebook methinks) and put a real OS on it.

Wait, you can't?!?

Mandatory locked and signed bios firmware?

Perhaps the MS fanboies are not aware that Chromebooks come with a "developer switch" which when toggled allows one to do anything with the hardware one wishes?

Yes, install Windows XP on it if you are fanatical enough- it's YOUR hardware!

Heck. I can do similar things with my Nexus handset over here. Let's see you do that with a Win Phone..

Go MIcrosoft Go!

Just go.

The Chromebook isn't just for grandmother's.. it's for children, grandchildren and tech people who no longer want to do free IT support for their friends, neighbors and family members and to see these folk suffer the abuse of such inelegant, inhospitable, easily broken (from Windows Update alone), bloated and ever slowing devices.

And as for the notion that Chromebook is a content consuming device only; that was blown away in a 2012 Google developers session where the presenter edited a locally stored application on the device with nothing more than an offline text editor and the developer tools built into every Chrome browser the planet.

Simply blew me away..

No compiler needed.

Google, unlike Microsoft actually invents stuff and allows choice.

P.S. Icing on the cake- I just remembered that every Chromebook comes with a keyboard shortcut to open a shell session. Try running "top" in said command line to see the gory technical bits running the show.

There. I feel better now..

Peace!

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pathetic

Nice to see the Microsoft ad campaigns getting more and more pathetic every time. Not surprising as they haven't made anything useful for a long time and it's hard to advertise if you don't have anything nice to advertise.

29. Truth4u

the advert is true but microsoft pulls all the same tricks

30. steward
    FAIL

Hypocrisy at its finest

First the "Pawn Stars" (cute name, right) fire Olivia Black because, gasp, she made some money earlier on a soft-pawn, er, soft-porn site... and now they're pimping for Microsoft.

This show shouldn't be ON the History Channel... it should BE history.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Geography a bit off?

She's looking for money to get to Reno, but is told it isn't worth that much (pretty much every Chromebook is a cheap device to begin with). At the end it is suggested she might get enough to make it to Reno. From Las Vegas to Hollywood is about 250 miles by road. From Las Vegas to Reno is about 450 miles by road.

32. Tank boy

Yeah...

I live in the United States, I've been to that pawn shop, and there's more than one commercial to bear Rick's ugly mug. They are in the business to make money, plain and simple, further, they know a little about a lot. Pretty sure they aren't the most tech saavy guys. Chromebooks are great for what they do at their price point. I read a lot of the comments about people who install Linux (whatever flavor) to make them just a bit more functional. Which tells me several things; People that are good at fiddling around with their gear (or kit if you prefer) can make these things useful, or that for grandma to sit around and surf the internet makes this machine viable. If I had the extra bread laying around, I might buy one second-hand to fiddle with it (have to ask the wife about that first), but I couldn't justify using it as what we call a "daily driver".

33. agricola
    Boffin

If I had wanted a brick, I'd have bought a brick.

There is no defense (sic) for the existence of, or foisting on the general public, a 'computer' which is not a stand-alone device. Since when is a personal computer a device which absolutely NEEDS an external communications connection a personal computer?

Microsoft may be the epitome of sleaze, but not in this case: Google is.

Microsoft is merely pointing out what the press refuses to do; making the non-technical gullible aware of the fact that, in the Chromebook, they do NOT have a device which can be used in planes, trains, cars, or any place without internet--the objections of the cognicenti and artificial intelligentia notwithstanding. And yes, I realize (sic) that Microsoft is doing this, all the while practicing their own brand of larceny on the technical AND non-technical gullible.

This is the first time in my long career in CS that i have ever said, or thought, this: "Right on, Microsoft!".

As for the post(s) accusing us Yanks of having no sense of humor (sic), we created the Chromebook, didn't we?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like