back to article Oh Mr Darcy! You're PRESSING MY BUTTONS

Teaching kids to appreciate classic literature? There is now, perhaps inevitably, an app for that called “Stride & Prejudice”. The app is based on the Jane Austen classic “Pride and Prejudice”, and takes advantage of the fact the novel is now well and truly in the public domain to render it as a side-scrolling computer game …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mage Silver badge

Yes Absolutely true.

A present for someone you hate. A terrible thing to do to a Book and sounds unpleasant to use.

1. Tac Eht Xilef

Re: Yes Absolutely true.

"A terrible thing to do to a Book and sounds unpleasant to use."

Oh, so it's available for the Surface RT too?

2. The lone lurker

I agree with your sentiment but I recently found out my 12 year old niece has no idea who Charles Dickens was and had no interest in finding out.

Anything that might get new people reading the classics is a good thing, simply making them aware of their existence is a start.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I agree with your sentiment but I recently found out my 12 year old niece has no idea who Charles Dickens was and had no interest in finding out.

I find it utterly shocking that at today of all times children do not know who Charles Dickens is .... something must be done to ensure they are aware of the important role he played in helping the Doctor locate the rift in Cardiff and then defeat the Gelf.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Meh, I'll wait for other book-based games to come out...

Maybe "The Shining" or "American Psycho"

1. tony2heads
      Thumb Down

Re: Meh, I'll wait for other book-based games to come out...

How about Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

1. RyokuMas

Re: Meh, I'll wait for other book-based games to come out...

"How about Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"

Hmmmm... might have to have a go at that!

3. RobHib
    Flame

It might be classic lit, but....

I recall many years ago being forced to read Pride and Prejudice as it was part of the curriculum.

I'd sit on my bed repeatedly hitting the book against the pillow whilst cursing and swearing.

These days, that ought to amount to cruel and unreasonable punishment.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Re: It might be classic lit, but....

Northanger Abbey should be the one to start the kids on. Short, sarcastic and funny, with a little bit of suspense for good measure. I can't resist quoting, so apologies, but on discussing how a young lady might bashfully put aside a novel they had been reading ...

<quote>

Now, had the same young lady been engaged with a volume of the Spectator . . . how proudly would she have produced the book, and told its name; though the chances must be against her being occupied by any part of that voluminous publication, of which either the matter or the manner would not disgust a young person of taste: the substance of its papers so often consisting in the statement of improbable circumstances, unnatural characters, and topics of conversation, which no longer concern any one living; and their language, too, frequently so coarse as to give no very favourable idea of the age that could endure it.

</quote>

4. SVV

Could be a promising start to a whole new genre

Retro 8-bit style games based on classic literature, what's not to like?

I'm looking forward to playing Great Chuckie-Eggspectations, and not least the complete works of Jet Set Willy Shakespeare......

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Could be a promising start to a whole new genre

Well played, Sir. Well played.

5. Francis Boyle Silver badge
    Coat

But at least the zombies will be fun

There will be zombies, won't there?

I'll get my coat. I'm off to do a bit more work on my Jane Austen versus the Daleks script.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everyone knows about Pride and Predjudice

It's re-made by the BBC every 3 years on a continuous cycle... so maybe make an app about a less well known classic .... like Crime & Punishment (ok it's russian, but its got a good message about feeling bad about what you've done).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NSFK Firefox tab title truncation

"Oh, Mr Darcy! You're PRESSING MY BUTT..."

This is the title in my FF tab.

Sounds a wee bit daring for the Kids Lit Discovery Channel. Unless it's the Bloodhound Gang version.

I'll get a coat.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like