back to article Eric Schmidt joins board of weighty biz journal The Economist

Eric Schmidt has joined the board of The Economist Group for a three-year run after a shareholder vote, the group has announced. Technology is supposed to be destroying the traditional media, but tech gurus can't seem to keep their mitts off the sector. Google's Schmidt is just the latest to get involved with the old guard, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eradicate all BB entrants

Can we have .....

...... a translation of that Omidyar quote? It looks like English, contains English words but put together in a way that seems to convey no meaning whatsoever. When asked what he was doing he may as well have said 'stuff'.

Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

1. Yet Another Commentard

Re: Can we have .....

I think it went on to mention "synergies" and "paradigm shifts" before having some blue sky thinking out of the box giving a helicopter view of the hot buttons. Or something.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

To be fair, French often translates like this: French words get translated using English homophones ("modalities" for forms for example) and as the structure of the two languages is similar the result looks like English but is largely incomprehensible and often feels pretentious.

1. Don Jefe
        Happy

Yes, that does happen with French. It also happens with Shitish. The latter being the case here I believe.

2. Don Jefe

I've subscribed to The Economist for many years and it's a very interesting exercise to look at issues from years past and see how radically incorrect their analysis were. Sometimes they're spot on, but on average, actual events transpired far differently than predicted.

I like to look at the variables they use to make their analysis and see where they went wrong. There's as much, or more, value in what they got wrong as there is in what they get right.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I for One, Welcome

..our new 1984 Word Government Overlords.

Thank god there is still Russia and China !

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Petrea Mitchell
    Alert

Not the way you were expecting

"Technology is supposed to be destroying the traditional media, but tech gurus can't seem to keep their mitts off the sector."

I for one am willing to believe that this is much more likely to be the death of traditional media than any other mechanism yet proposed.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like