back to article Which Who to view? Pick one from two: Doctor Who twin trailers hit the interwebs

The BBC has released two trailers for its 50th anniversary episode of Doctor Who, "The Day of the Doctor" and announced that it will hit screens at 7.50pm on 23 November. Youtube Video The trailers premiered over the weekend on Saturday and Sunday and are now available on the BBC's Doctor Who website. Very little plot detail …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lloyd

Very little is revealed???

I'd say that it gives away quite a lot about John Hurt's Doctor, mainly that he's so hated because of what he did to stop the time war, although quite what that might be isn't even hinted at.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Very little is revealed???

Ah. Three doctor, eh? Last time that happened, they met Omega.

1. Michael Habel
        Alien

Re: Very little is revealed???

A Gentlman after my own Hearts!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where did the subtleties go?

Explosions, fire fights, even a whole space war it seems. Not to mention a plot which has been done several times before (where multiple doctors meet up; this was even used during last years Christmas special if I recall correctly).

Now, I'm not saying this is a bad thing. But after recently having gone through of the somewhat older material again (with thanks to a certain online tech magazine which featured those) I couldn't help notice that in those days the focus was fully set on the storyline where any special effects were solely used to enhance said storyline. Sure; they probably didn't have much of a choice due to restraints, but in many cases it added up quite nicely.

When looking at trailers like these I can't help wonder if Who really needs to be "bigger, badder and stronger" by mixing in a zillion special effects. Are those effects there to enhance the story, or to divert ones attention from that same story? Even if that were the case it still wouldn't be a bad thing, this is entertainment after all and if we're entertained then I'd say mission accomplished.

It's just that sometimes I honestly wonder where the subtleties in Dr. Who have gone to. I think there are times where they can achieve more with less so to speak.

And in the end I'm looking forward to seeing both Smith and Tennant in action together. In my opinion Tennant was a more convincible Doctor than Smith, the latter is always a bit too joyful for my taste. The change between joyful / careless and becoming serious is something I always considered to be a little bit too enforced on his character.

I wonder if Tennant "still has it" :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Where did the subtleties go?

"subtleties" - I read that as "subtitles". I was most confused as I read your post!

2. phuzz Silver badge

If they'd had the budget or the technical capabilities then the original series would have had just as many special effects. At least the days of sets wobbling when people slam doors is behind us.

3. Tom 13

In fairness, when you don't have the money/tech for the special effects, you have to concentrate on the story.

Not that this is necessarily a good thing.

1. Michael Habel

Not that this is necessarily a bad thing

FTFY!

Stories should never EVER be trumped by cheesy Green Screen SFX!

4. Michael Habel

Now, I'm not saying this is a bad thing. But after recently having gone through of the somewhat older material again (with thanks to a certain online tech magazine which featured those) I couldn't help notice that in those days the focus was fully set on the storyline where any special effects were solely used to enhance said storyline. Sure; they probably didn't have much of a choice due to restraints, but in many cases it added up quite nicely.

Again this Guy ...gets it!

I'm glad I'm not the only One who thinks "Who" has grown colder over the Years....

3. Johnny Canuck

I like the rebooted Dr. Who. The special effects are not overdone in my opinion. In any case, this episode seems to have something to do with the time war and I admit to some curiosity about this portion of the Doctor's life.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah, they've brought back the Zygons. It's about time.

Not a fan of huge special effects either - it just means some magic mcguffin will fix everything right at the end, rather than having a smaller story with people you care about actually getting killed.

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

The Zygon costume looks a step back though. The original is much more organic/fetusy and the "face" seems smaller and more alien. Even though you can see where the mask isn't stuck around the actors eyes!

We'll see if the actor in the new suit is up to the job soon enough, bet they've changed the voice...

5. CatoTheCat
    Megaphone

Brass!

Over exuberant orchestra again. :(

6. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

If they are BBC trailers...

... your choice is really which spoilers you want to watch...

(I choose neither, thanks!)

7. Arachnoid

To face your greatest fear

You must revisited your most fearsome day, where time is the one commodity that makes the biggest difference.

8. Remus4271e
    FAIL

Big Spoiler: They revealed the means

To me the question always was: How did the doctor stop/lock the time war.

The trailers seem to answer that.

Or at least there is one device that looks very much like the key to time and it seems to be indicated that this will play a crucial role.

If I'm correct, the BBC just managed to give away the ending.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Big Spoiler: They revealed the means

Not really. "The Moment" was already referenced in "The End of Time" by Rassillon so nothing given away at all. Apparently there is more background in some of the comics.

1. Remus4271e

The Moment: yes

Any connection to the Key to time: Not as far as I know (Although: I'm not all-knowing)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> To me the question always was: How did the doctor stop/lock the time war.

Surely that was answered in that episode* where the Daleks were trapped in a shrunken space/time (i.e inside a Tardis but without the engine, effectively). Okay, they didn't tell you *how* he managed to trap them in there. And if the Daleks had time travel it would have been impossible. However, don't let that spoil a good story.

[*] "that episode" == you can tell I'm a real fan ;-)

9. Pete the not so great

Here we go again

How many times can you save the universe?

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Here we go again

"How many times can you save the universe?"

Every time... until you fail. Then reboot it, lather, rinse, repeat.

2. Hooch181
      Alien

Re: Here we go again

"How many times can you save the universe?"

As many times as you like if you're a Timelord!

10. Vociferous

Looks good.

Definitely a must-watch.

11. MrDamage Silver badge
    Headmaster

Brid-Aine should hand in their geek card.

"...Very little plot detail is revealed, other than that all three Doctors, Matt Smith's Tenth, David Tennant's Ninth"

David Tennant was the 10th, and Matt Smith is the 11th.

1. Jagged

Re: Brid-Aine should hand in their geek card.

Or 11th and 12th, assuming we count Mister Hurt ...

2. Michael Habel

Re: Brid-Aine should hand in their geek card.

We seem to down a Christopher Eccleston.

12. PlacidCasual

The power of hugs?

Having seen the new Doctor Who descend to the point where each week the baddie is defeated by warm feelings and empty platitutdes I'm guessing John Hurt's Doctor ends the time war with the "POWER OF HUGS". Or maybe the inncocence of baby rabbits? Or the love of a fine cigar.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like