back to article Samsung: Get ready to BEND OVER – foldable fondleslabs 'by 2016'...

Samsung has stuck a timeline on its introduction of foldable screens on phones and tablets at its Analyst Day in Korea today, aiming to bring the tech out in late 2015 or early 2016. Youtube Video The electronics firm had already teased its vision for foldable phones in a rather terrible advert it aired at CES earlier this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. FartingHippo
    Stop

"rather terrible advert"

Ah, British understatement.

I cringed so hard my nadgers tried to crawl back up inside me.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: "rather terrible advert"

I thought it was a reasonable piss-take of San Francisco hipsters.

1. Cliff

It was a bit of a creepy ad, but the technology is exciting.

Quite like the direction the LG Bender is going in, these will be interesting times when this phone contract is up...

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Is there really something called an "LG Bender".... that's not going to go down ( pun intended) very well with the PC crowd.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I think 'bender' a peculiarly British epithet. I get the impression it's not even that popular with the yoof of today.

Witness the frequent use of the term 'bender' in the (atrocious) film 'The Last Airbender' which had people snickering on this side of the Atlantic, but didn't raise so much as an eyebrow stateside.

1. Shagbag

I quite liked it. It had that family-run-supermarket-chic look about it.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

C'mon, this isn't even the worse Samsung presentation. See:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57576010-71/samsung-sorry-about-that-sexist-show/

Although regarding Farting Hippo's point, this one might not make your nadgers want to hide.

2. Gavin McMenemy

I gave up as soon as I saw the oily man giving his best sales pitch on the stage. Good tech, terrible presentation.

3. Dave 126 Silver badge

>To be able to roll up or fold up, your mobile device requires foldable and bendable batteries, processors, memory and other bits, not just flexible screens.

Er... You might need flexible components to roll it up, but to fold it up you only need a flexible screen. See: a hardback book. However, for a 5" tall phone of conventional form, the folding approach would give a roughly 7" diagonal squarish screen, whereas the roll-up approach could give a roughly 10" 'widescreen' (or ratio of your choice).

As a culture, we've largely settled on books over scrolls, other than for projector screens (not the most robust of structures)

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

re. rolling it up: this is possible with PlasticLogic's printed organic circuits and maybe Samsung are using some of that technology in the screen. I think larger formats like newspapers and magazines get rolled up for transport, but you're right about the form factor - the eye finds it much easier to orientate on a fixed layout like a physical page rather than on something infinite. Roll-on paged media extensions for CSS!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I presume El Reg will be referring to these as "foldeslabs".

1. Roo
      Coat

"I presume El Reg will be referring to these as "foldeslabs"."

Phondlebender may be more fun (YMMV).

I'll get my coat.

5. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Impressive

There's no doubt about it: Samsung is continuing to impress by doing real R&D and coming up with new things. Some of the time you go: just what am I supposed to be doing with this, which is just as it should be and the way it was when Xerox and co. also did real research.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like