back to article Doctor Who to land on the BIG SCREEN and in 3D in November

Doctor Who fans worldwide will all be able to enjoy the series' forthcoming 50th anniversary special at the same time, thanks to a plan that will see the program simulcast in at least 75 countries, both on TV and in cinemas. Doctor Who 50th anniversary special You'll be able to relax on your couch knowing that elephants on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. LarsG

Why bother, spend the money on the production.

3D is dying, why bother? Rather than spend the money on this niche market and the few people who have the TV's spend the money on the production and story and make it great.

1. jxp

The BBC have stopped any future 3D productions. I believe this Dr Who special is the last programme to be made in 3D.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

4. RAMChYLD
    Thumb Up

Nice, except...

I won't be able to get it in 3D, let alone HD, since BBC Entertainment Asia is only available in SD in Malaysia.

But I guess I shouldn't be complaining since it is very difficult to get the pay TV provider that carries BBC Entertainment Asia here. It took a lot of pleading with the provider to get them to carry BBCE since the naff satellite provider dropped the channel for - wait for it - ITV Granada (which was the main reason I cut off my satellite subscription).

Although I will need to plan ahead and take the next day off, since if it airs at 8PM in the UK, it will be 4AM on the 24th over here.

I guess I can watch the episode live in SD on the simulcast, then import the DVD from the US on December 10 and rewatch it on my Region-1 PS3 for the 3D experience. If I can afford it then.

1. TheProf
      Happy

Re: Nice, except...

Sir,

I admire your dedication to this rather silly television show. Not only watching TV at at 4AM but taking a day off work to boot.

I hope the 3D-Blu-ray is released promptly to fulfil your tri-dimensions desire.

I'm planning to disconnect the phone and have a cup of tea while I watch it.

ITV Granada? Good grief!

5. poopypants

Not sure when they're planning on simulcasting this, but

when it is 8:00 pm in London, it is 4:30 am in Adelaide. Yeah, that'll work.

6. Justin 9

Why not 4k

Better to film it in 4k res. Future proof the recording.

1. Rogue Jedi

There is no such thing as future proof

just future resistant. As anyone working in IT knows if you buy something state of the art or future proof it will be outdated in 5 years, 8 if you are very lucky.

I have little doubt that when 4k starts being widely adopted 8k or 4320p or some other unnecessarily high resolution will be introduced.

1. Myvekk

Re: There is no such thing as future proof

>As anyone in IT knows...

...by the time you can buy it, it has been rendered obsolete by the next 2 generations already in testing or production.

7. At0micAndy

who cares, 2D, 3D, Cinema, 4K ? Not me, just show the darn thing already!

8. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

At least they're trying to make an event of it.

9. Dave Bell

It's not the program, it's the anniversary

This could be a naff episode, and it won't matter much. There are a few shows that last, a few ideas that endure, and Doctor Who is one of them. Fifty years, still picking up new fans, sometimes bad, and sometimes more than good, and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't last another fifty years.

It won't even be the first Doctor Who story broadcast in 3D... And there is all of space and time to tell stories in.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's not the program, it's the anniversary

>It won't even be the first Doctor Who story broadcast in 3D

"Pickled in time like gherkins in a jar. Helpless, paralysed, it'll drive them insane."

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Won't anyone think of the VPN providers?

How many fewer non-UK residents will be using them to see it over iPlayer

1. Christian Berger

Re: Won't anyone think of the VPN providers?

Yes, or satellite reception.

11. ukgnome

But....

Is it going to be shown on ISS? Or the secret moon base for that matter......

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This sounds like a pig's ear of fanwank. Multiple doctors, multiple enemies, yawn. It'll be so 'inside baseball' I reckon only the diehard fans will 'get' it. Then there'll be the proms special, the automatic BAFTAs for best navel-gazing and stealthiest shark jumping.

And us poor Welsh will have to put up with how BBC Wales has saved the universe by making Doctor Who so good, more automatic Welsh BAFTAs and then the obligatory Brian Cox interviews about how amazing it is that Doctor Who will make kids want to be amazing like him.

Will I be watching it? Hell yeah! I've already cancelled my holiday to Skaro just to make sure I press record.

1. Atonnis

Well, to be fair, if you're watching the 50th Anniversary special event episode of something like a TV show, you really shouldn't expect to just be able to drop into it and understand and have a complete explanation of everything involved. It's to celebrate a long-running 'universe' with something special, it's not a feature-film.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Multiple doctors? It's traditional

10 yrs "Three Doctors", 20yrs "Five Doctors", 30yrs "Dimensions in Time" (wash my mouth out)

3. Dr?

The previous multi doctor eps were pretty decent from what I can remember.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Five Doctors was a last minute lash-up and...well, let's just say Dimensions (created as a Children in Need experimental 3D affair) does not have a high standing with most commentators.

13. Dr?

I wonder what part torrents have played in the decision to air the episode around the world at the same time. And whether other shows might also decide that they will follow suit to try and avoid the dreaded downloads.

14. Yag

In 3D? only one reaction to have

EX-TER-MI-NATE!

15. Matt Bridge-Wilkinson

Amazon seem to disagree

Amazon seem to think there will be a 3d edition released... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Anniversary-Special-Blu-ray/dp/B00F37VHPM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1380727913&sr=8-5&keywords=Doctor+Who

16. iRadiate
    Facepalm

3D ? Pah. Should have been 4D

It's a time machine. Surely they should have added the 4th Dimension to it.

Could have had all the actors say their lines really quickly and then broadcast it in slow motion.

Or the other way around.

Or have the plot make sense regardless of whether you play it forwards or backwards.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Happy

Re: 3D ? Pah. Should have been 4D

All TV is 3D. But some is in 4D. Unless you enjoy watching a still picture.

3D - Height, width, duration.

This topic is closed for new posts.