back to article Apple ups revenue estimates in wake of nine million–phone weekend

In a filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission, Apple has announced that it now expects its revenue to come in at the high end of the range it projected when it announced its financial results for its third fiscal quarter of 2013 this July. In the filing this Monday, Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer cited the sale of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mtech25
    Joke

Apple: I am not dead yet

The Dead Collector: What?

Fandriods: Nothing. There's your ninepence

Apple: I'm not dead

The Dead collector Ere he says he's not dead

Fandriod:Yes he is

Apple: I'm not

the dead collector: He isn't

Fandriod: Well he will be soon he very ill

Apple: I'm getting better I sold nine million iphone's

Fandriod: look your not fooling anyone.

the dead collector: can't take him like that against regulations

Fandriod: Look he won't be long another 5 minutes

Apple: I feel happy

the dead collector: can't going down to rim they lost 5 executives already

Apple: I think I will go for a walk

Fandriod: look do us a favour

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Joke?

If you say so...

It's just the 'your' instead of 'you're' and the poor spelling..... Very distracting.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Line 1: Is this joke dead yet ?

Line 2: Yep dead on arrival

Line 3: Shit I've got another 14 lines to go...

Line 4: Some comedians just don't get when the tumbleweed's a blowin'...

...you get the picture.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I guess the Reg will have to wait a bit longer for "Peak Apple" to actually happen

Not that this will stop them from continuing to write articles claiming otherwise.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I guess the Reg will have to wait a bit longer for "Peak Apple" to actually happen

It's ok we've hit 'Peak Reg' instead with more and more click bait articles and headlines these days!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Doom Mongers

Fandroid Doom Mongers must be choking on their words....

200,000,000 updates to iOS 7

Choke choke

9 million new phones SOLD in two days (not just shipped)

CHOKE choke choke CHOKE

Quick call the paramedics Android Fandroid is convulsing.

Too late, he's just crawled into the Apple Store......

Too late, all sold out........

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Doom Mongers

"9 million new phones SOLD in two days (not just shipped)"

Define SOLD.

3. SuccessCase

Re: I guess the Reg will have to wait a bit longer for "Peak Apple" to actually happen

Apple have strength in depth. Samsung don't, they don't own the full stack and don't have sufficient design focus - though people are confused about this because they do have excellent production focus, which is subtly related but essentially different. Personally, I think the company best positioned to disrupt Apple on their own high end turf is probably Xiaomi (by all accounts run by the most Jobs'esque of all the mobile company CEO's: He's young, exacting, focussed and obsessed) and they aren't international yet. They won't be using Google's Android either, they will have a branch of their own and once they gain market share internationally, there is a high chance Google will be booted off the platform, replaced with localised versions of China's Google competitor services which are maturing very well.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Samsung are also wasting resources on alternative platforms and ideas. They have to keep an Android alternative backup plan ready at all times in-case Google goes crazy with their Android plans.

Apple doesn't need to have such a backup plan since they control every aspect of the iPhone and iOS.

There's a lot of wasted effort and resources in the Android market, needless competition in terms of customising the OS. Stock Android is a little sparse, you really do wonder why these companies don't put something back?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

"I guess the Reg will have to wait a bit longer for "Peak Apple" to actually happen

Not that this will stop them from continuing to write articles claiming otherwise."

The Reg didn't start the Peak Apple claim. It's the numbers men, they can see the numbers.

You can't! So why should anyone listen to a desperate fannyboi?

Ok, I get your weakness, you need something to give your pathetic life a status boost. Why don't you move your efforts to something worthwhile? Buy a fancy car, get a face lift, take regular expensive holidays. If you really want to show off, do it in style at least. Not with a poxy rip off phone! ffs!

3. Shagbag

one swallow doesn't make a summer

No one at Apple is talking about the 5C. Why would they.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: one swallow doesn't make a summer

Lol, love it when a Fandroid is in such pain....

2. ThomH

Maybe to give themselves a chance to say things like "Have you seen the numbers? What happened?!?"?

That's a cheap shot though. Giving the device the benefit of the doubt and assuming an audience exists, does anyone imagine them queuing up overnight or otherwise dashing to the shops during the first weekend? It's a slow burn device for people to consider when their contract comes up for renewal.

3. SuccessCase

9 million do though.

4. toadwarrior
    Trollface

There aren't too many comments here. The fandroids must have to get over some serious butt hurt before they come in.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

@toadwarrior (Bronze badge)

There aren't too many comments here. The fandroids must have to get over some serious butt hurt before they come in.

Meh. I'm a "fandroid". Never used an Apple iThing because I didn't want to be locked into a closed ecosystem. My reaction to the news? Good on them. Competition is good.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: @toadwarrior (Bronze badge)

I'm sorry, these are the Reg forums. There are no level headed reasonable posts permitted here.

You must choose between being a Jobs worshipping Apple fanboy who believes He will one day return from the dead to bestow the perfect television on the world, or a foaming at the mouth Fandroid who thinks Apple is the greatest con job in history that has pulled the wool over the eyes of hundreds of millions of sheep and counting!

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Tizen or bust.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You sir are very much in the minority of Fandroids. The vast majority want Apple to die a horrible death. They don't want the competition that Apple brings.

For those Fandroidia who are about to downvote this post, just think of this for a minute.

If Apple were not there, Android would be a de-facto monopoly and Google would be subject to all sorts of restrictions in the market. They may even be restricted from making Nexus devices. What happens then when the Almighty Samsung has the whole market to itself.

But hey, Fandroidia are not renowned for logical thinking so this post will be downvoted just because it dare criticise the Android Religion

no, I don't own an iPhone but a Nokia dumb phone.

1. Eddy Ito

"They don't want the competition that Apple brings."

I imagine they are like most folks and the fandroids don't mind a bit of competition, it's the round corners patent trolling that gets their goat just like the FRAND nonsense going the other way smacks a hair across the arse of most fanbois.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Desperate

"There aren't too many comments here. The fandroids must have to get over some serious butt hurt before they come in."

Fandroids don't need to make comment.

The real money men are telling us Peak Apple. They see the numbers.

Someone buying a phone to boost their status does not have a clue.

If you did you'd spend that money on real status symbols, not a chavvy phone that anyone can get for next to nothing.

If you are flashing your iFool, it means you have no real money/status and you are desperately clutching at straws and fooling no one but yourself.

(make sure you realise that I chose neither before making your ridiculous comments)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Desperate

"The real money men are telling us Peak Apple. They see the numbers."

That made me laugh!

You haven't worked on "The Street" have you?

1:0 to me.

5. ratfox
    Angel

On the contrary!

Apple is usually famously tight-lipped; the fact that they go to the trouble of making this announcement today (only one month before earnings) shows they feel the need to prop up their stock price and reassure investors. (And it seems to have worked when you look at today's numbers)

But Apple would never have made such an announcement three years ago, when they were systematically beating all estimates every quarter…

Paraphrasing Thatcher, being successful is like being a lady; if you have to tell people you are one, you are not.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: On the contrary!

Really trying hard to put a negative spin on this, aren't you? They've always made updates of their earnings estimates when they announced initial weekend iPhone sales, it just didn't used to make the Reg, but was more something for Yahoo Finance to write an article about.

In fact, they're required by law to update their earnings estimates if they reveal material data that they believe would render their previous estimates inaccurate. If they kept their mouths shut about how many iPhones they sold they wouldn't have to say anything about the earnings estimates, but since they've always done updates after a new iPhone was released saying nothing would tend to make investors very nervous.

There would be little point for Apple to do something to try to prop up the stock price today, if it wouldn't be supported by the numbers they report in a month. If they said this and then they failed to meet estimates, and it could be proven the CEO and CFO knew that would happen, they would be breaking the law, as well as opening themselves up to multi-million dollar shareholder lawsuits.

6. Chris Miller

Apple: Get yer luvverly iPhone 5S - now available in gold!

Fanboi: But what does it do that the iPhone 4 couldn't - apart from forcing a cheap knock-off of the WinPhone interface on us?

Apple: Available in GOLD!!

Fanboi: But what if I don't want to look like the local crystal meth dealer?

Apple: Did I mention it's available in GOLD!!!

Fanboi: Worst iPhone e-v-e-r. I will only buy two.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

40% gross margin

Yet Apple users tout this as a good thing instead of thinking 'why am I happy to get ripped off by so much?'

1. ThomH

Re: 40% gross margin

I think they use it to counter the argument that Apple's future is unsteady due to the huge figures being racked up by Samsung et al — i.e. the company is very profitable. It won't close soon.

I don't think they use it in their role as surrogate salespeople.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dupes did not need a phone

Whilst the PHone is not a brick, if they had done something revolutionary and replaced the old 5 with a brick it would still do 'everything they want'.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem with our fannybopi colleagues is that they offer no rashionable arguments.

It's the same old story time and time again.

Wake up and Get Real. See what others can see so obviously and clearly.

Listen, we are doing this as a act of kindness. We don't want to see you being suckered in like this.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like