back to article TV's goggle gaggle: EVERYBODY'S first with something at consumer tech feast

If you’re in Berlin and have a tech habit, then IFA, Europe’s biggest consumer electronics show, rages on for another couple of days. On display you'll find all manner of things upon which the consumer tech giants want us to focus our spending – even those that may well soon be redundant. As mobile content viewing explodes, it …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JDX Gold badge

How do you measure curved TV size?

Straight line from corner to corner as normal, or drape a bit of string to get the extra distance and make it seem as big as possible?

Two 3D images on one screen is pretty impressive technically, though I guess rather pointless.

1. Jediben

Re: How do you measure curved TV size?

Presumably it's going to be marketed for multiplayer console gaming. I can't see his and hers TV viewing working very well, with him following a game of football and her trying to catch up with some soap opera, both in total silence.

1. JDX Gold badge

I can see his'n'hers viewing working - we sometimes fight over what to watch and when watching TV we don't chat - I just can't see it taking off. Wouldn't you need the devices to support it - where are you getting two 3D video outputs from?

As for gaming, do any consoles support this?

1. Timo

Sony has a demo setup for a car racing game at their Tokyo flagship showroom/store in Ginza. Each player could only see their car on the course, and got a full screen view as well. It is like the one screen is serving up two games at the same time. Polarized glasses are used to make it work.

It was much more impressive than the half-screen or split screens that one usually gets in head-to-head games. There was no leak-through from the other person's screen either. Although since each person gets their own view from the one screen you don't get the same feeling of playing alongside someone.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Holmes

we don’t really need a telly any more

And yet in a recent El Reg article (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/02/ofcom_heralds_return_of_50s_living_room/), we see a report that 90% of TV viewing is done in real time, on er, TVs.

3. Shonko Kid

Flatter, Squarer screen?

I must be old, as I remember TVs being pitched based on their flatness..

I, for one, welcome the return of our curvy overlords.

1. Wize

Re: Flatter, Squarer screen?

The curve was the wrong way though. They were convex, this is concave.

A slight curve brings the whole screen equidistant from your eyes and every pixel points at you instead of pointing over your shoulder.

But then, for the full effect you have to sit in the focal point, which won't be adjustable for your size of living room. And you can only get one person in the sweet spot, a bit like 'surround sound' perfectionists.

It does lower your viewing angle too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"And you can only get one person in the sweet spot"

That'll be Sheldon's seat then.

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge
        Boffin

"They were convex, this is concave."

Wonder where the focal point is? I'm awaiting the first reported case where sunlight reflected from the screen sets fire to the sofa...

(Why yes, my work bench *does* have a series of short scorched arcs in its surface, from when I forget to cover the magnifying glass!)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As the proud possessor of a non-rectangular living room, with one corner angle at about 115 degrees, I can see that these curvy tvs would be brilliant for getting a wide screen that intruded less into the room space, assuming I wanted to locate it in a corner (which would actually be fairly handy). But that doesn't mean I'm going to buy one at those prices.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The world's largest 77"

How small are the others?

1. BorkedAgain
      Thumb Up

Re: The world's largest 77"

You know, I was wondering that as well... :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Upgrade...

I hope that in a few years time, 4K TVs will be much cheaper so then I can finally say goodbye to my standard definition CRT telly. :)

By the way, that girl in the back for the LG TV is gorgeous.

6. Gene Cash Silver badge

XQD

Yay! Another proprietary Sony memory spec! Been a while since the last one.

7. Ian Michael Gumby
    Facepalm

"... but then again, who needs a Handycam these days?"

Well once they get the moratorium on the shooting schedule due to an aids scare...

You can bet you'll see these things being bought by would be pr0n producers.

8. JB

(O)LED

At last! REAL LED TVs. It irks me something rotten whenever I see an ad for Fry's (other electrical retailers are available) advertising 'LED TVs', meaning LED backlit TVs. How many gullible punters have been sucked into this scam? I'll wait for my positively ancient 4-year old plasma TV to conk out before I pick up an OLED - hopefully the prices will have dropped even more by then.

1. Benchops

Re: (O)LED

I'm surprised they don't try advertising LED TVs because of the little red "on" light!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like