back to article Appcelerator polishes Titanium for platform-neutral JavaScript reboot

Success and age are catching up with Appcelerator, which is re-writing its Titanium mobile development framework to be leaner and cheaper to run on more mobes. Chief executive Jeff Haynie quietly let slip earlier this month (and was eventually spotted by IT Writing’s Tim Anderson) that a project – called Ti.Next – is now under …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M Gale

"C for iOS"

I've not used Appcelerator and I make no claims to über-hackerdom but, surely Objective C? You know, that thing that's about as much like C as C# is? Or about as much like C as a strawberry blancmange?

1. Blain Hamon
      Boffin

Full disclosure: I work for Appcelerator.

The original post Jeff did had "Objective-C for iOS, C# for Windows and so forth." but line wrapping happened after 'Objective-', so it might by why the article author misread it as 'C for iOS'. Ironically enough, however, a lot of the low-level Objective-C runtime calls are pure C functions like objc_msgSend, objc_allocateClassPair, or NSSelectorFromString.

Fun fact: Because of all those @ signs in the keywords, Obj-C is a pure superset of C, unlike C# or even C++. For example, "int class = 5;" is valid C code, and will compile fine within an Obj-C file, where the C++ compiler would balk.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like