Open source smartphone OS?

This topic was created by Quinch .

1. Quinch
    IT Angle

Open source smartphone OS?

Just an idle thought slash discussion fodder - discuss the feasibility and prerequisites for an open-source OS running on the currently popular crop of smartphones. How possible would it be? How worthwhile? Legal ramifications? Cultural?

2. paulstrahann@gmail.com

A lot's of branded company provide a smart phones with affordable price rate. I like to use a Samsung Galaxy S III Android smart phone. It's really best for the entertainment and official work. I can easily use each kind of latest application on this phones. I like to use Samsung because smooth and capacitive touch screen.

3. Jon Green

Well, there's Ubuntu, I suppose.

There's supposed to be a crop of mobiles coming out with Ubuntu's smartphone variant in the next few months or so. However, I doubt that you'll get a completely Open Source OS on a smartphone any time soon, whether pre-brewed (like Ubuntu) or home-brewed. The reason is that most (perhaps all) of them contain processors or chipsets whose APIs aren't available without a Non Disclosure Agreement. You either have to put up with object-code-only drivers, or you don't get to use the neat stuff - or perhaps not use the kit at all. After all, if you don't have access to the video processor APIs, you're not going to be using the screen, and that's not exactly compatible with a smartphone OS!

That's not to say it's not possible. I'm hearing rumours of fully open handset hardware being created in India, for instance, and that would be ideal for a bare-metal Open Source OS implementation. Could be an interesting crowdsource project!

4. xehpuk

Cyanogenmod is rather open source Android but still needs some binary drivers as far as I know?

I think perhaps Replicant is fully open source variant of Android?

Then there is Firefox OS. They have some phone out in Spain if I am correct.

Today Canonical presented the edge crowd funding campaign. I hope enough open source fans will contribute to it to make it happen. Go to www.ubuntu.com" or "http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge/x/4068054"

I did contribute to it. Or rather promised to contribute, if the target is not reached there will not be any edge phone and contributions will be returned.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon