back to article HP Enterprise scores major win with $3.5bn Navy network contract

Meg Whitman will crack one of her infrequent smiles on Friday with the news that HP Enterprise is facing a potential $3,454,735,513 payday after winning the contract to manage US Navy's networks for the next five years. HP helping Navy admins control networks In the Navy, you can hack the seven seas... In the world of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting

Wonder how they will update security to prevent sub-contractors from gaining access to sensitive information ......

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Interesting

They will fill the desktop, start menu and icon tray with so many add-ins to; order supplies, connect your HP whatever to facebook and download updates that a user will never be able to find any classified documents

2. Captain Save-a-ho
      Pirate

Re: Interesting

Relying on the hot trend of the day, I'm sure most of the systems will be available via VDI exclusively, so they can control and record everything someone is doing. Will that stop someone? Hahahaha, of course not. But it will set them up to buy the next big thing in IT controls before the end of the new contract, which means even more money.

If they were kind, HP would at least use Astroglide next time.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No surprise there

Didn't think they were going to give it to Huawei or Lenovo.

3. K

"the government can check .... how much it is getting charged"

That statement is really of no consequence, if you have a moron doing the checking, then of course the $5,000 patch cable is perfectly fine and perhaps even a bargain!

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

With that kind of deal under his belt he'll be moving up. IOW

He'll be "posh" Toti in future.

I know, but some times it's just impossible to resist.

6. The Godfather
    Meh

Hmm

Direct client I take it....

7. Anomalous Cowshed

HP success leads to new contract onboard ships

20 years later: 2033. HP by far the biggest contractor for the US Navy. It not only makes the IT systems, it makes the ships themselves, all of which are fitted with the advanced Bluescreen networking system, connecting all their weapons systems.

Suddenly, a warning siren sounds onboard the USS Whitman, patrolling off the Cote d'Azur.

"We have incoming!" screams the captain on the bridge. "Put it on screen!"

"Leo, what is it?" asks the First Officer, addressing the new-fangled "Leo" voice-activated communication system.

"I'm afraid I cannot answer right now" answers Leo in his trademark German lilt. "All processing units are currently involved in printing out the ship's spreadsheet and annual report in high resolution. Please call your nearest HP dealer. Calls are billed at 325 dollars per minute and may be recorded for security and staff training purposes."

8. Master Rod

HP?? Are you kidding me?!

HP presently makes crap equipment, and the Navy just gave them a huge contract? I can probably do it better with 20 % less money. Pick me!

Master Rod

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like