back to article Groundbreaking Camino browser digs grave, jumps in

The Camino browser, first conceived around the turn of the millennium as a free, open source project designed to be a true "Mac-like" browser for the then-nascent Mac OS X, has reached the end of the line. "After a decade-long run, Camino is no longer being developed, and we encourage all users to upgrade to a more modern …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Richard Wharram

Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here? ...Good luck, everyone.

1. ratfox
      Pint

Great post

Do you mind if I call you aManFromMars?

Pour one for Camino.

1. Richard Wharram

Re: Great post

You don't remember that? Are you 15 or something? :)

1. Pete Spicer

Re: Great post

A sombre finish to a classic series. (I prefer to pretend Blackadder Back and Forth never happened, leaving Goodbyeeeee as the closing episode from Blackadder Goes Forth)

2. MACWINLINO
    Paris Hilton

Why wasn't this browser able to stay up to date with Gecko? Unless it is in the article and I somehow missed it?

1. Charles 9

The problem was that the API for Gecko took some serious leaps in the interim. Look at the differences between Firefox 3 and 4, then 4 and 5, and now the modern ever-evolving browser. Camino's API hooks were rendered obsolete, and there wasn't enough desire to keep up, probably because there were more than enough alternatives on the loose, all of which were better able to keep up with the times.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Pint

The writing was on the wall

I figured Camino would die on the vine. There have been infrequent updates, not to mention it was stuck somewhere in version 2.x while Fireferret is 10 x versions ahead...

It's been my default browser for years, guess I have to be happy with Safari as Fireferret is really crap with updates coming at all odd hours of the night.

All the devs that worked on it, have a pint for the weekend!

1. Dana W

Re: The writing was on the wall

Say what you will about Firefox, but its security and privacy plug ins and its many, many ad blocking options are second to none.

No other company has any incentive to keep my connection from looking like cable TV.

1. MACWINLINO
        Thumb Up

Quite right but don't discount Chrome. It is growing at a massive rate and the plugins, themes will soon be on par with Firefox.

Now if only someone would port over Downthemall to Chrome

2. chivo243 Silver badge

It's too bad the a lot of plug ins break when the updates come, if I have another user whine he updated FF and now his plug ins don't work..... Ah well, it's Monday....

4. Dana W
    Meh

I liked it, but I jumped ship on it when the development just didn't keep up. Like Shiira, I wanted to believe, but I want max security and max ad-blocking. And there is only one place I can get that.

5. Mage Silver badge
    Unhappy

many More Browsers?

If you discount Spyware with Lipstick and simple variations they now have a choice of two rather than one before Chimera. PC Users since Opera is abandoning it's own engine have a choice of three if we apply the same criteria. There appears to be a big selection on Linux, but is there really any more choice of really viable/actually different engines than on OS X?

So another choice bites the dust.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: many More Browsers?

I really tried to parse your comment but didn't quite succeed.

6. Gordon Pryra

Word Up

Sorry to see this one go, one of the first 7"s i brought as a child was from him

7. RPF
    Pint

rpfryett@gmail.com

What a shame; Camino's a great little browser.

Thanks to all the devs past and present; hope your next project(s) fare better in the long-run.

Salut!

8. Disco Dance Donkey
    Unhappy

Gutted

I've been with Camino since I moved to Macs, and there's still no other browser quite so well rounded. Streamlined, ad-blocked and using keychain, it was perfect for me. I'll have to admit I did miss the abilities of Firebug et al. but then the rest of my experience was the best of any browser I've used. I even migrated my wife to Camino from Netscape.

Proud to have been part of this, if only as a bug hunter.

At least Camino spawned Safari (see who Apple took from Camino to make Safari).

Fare thee well, you shall be missed.

1. Gritzwally Philbin
      Unhappy

Re: Gutted

Aye, am hearing that. Alas, I too was disappointed at the final call for Camino, but it was becoming obvious that it was on it's last legs about the time youtube stopped working for me. Hated that too, as it was faster to bring up pages on the various forms I inhabit than any other browser - still is, but if I want to stick to a handful of sites it still works well on - nope - too limited.

Have found that Seamonkey works good enough, OmniWeb started getting crash-prone on the Flash-enabled portals. Just don't care for Chrome enough to keep it and of course Safari on Snow Leopard is a huge bag of 'meh!'.. Adios Camino.

This topic is closed for new posts.