back to article Comixology cloud fails to Make Mine Marvel

Digital comic fans are a fairly honest lot, generally prefering to buy their sequential art reading matter than pinch it. But that doesn’t mean they ignore the regular weekly batches of new issues shared online. An apology from Dave Steinberger, head of Comixology, the largest digital comics retailer, reveals one reason why. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't keep "your" stuff in the cloud.

If you don't have physical posession of your stuff, it's not your stuff.

1. The BigYin

Re: Don't keep "your" stuff in the cloud.

If you have physical possession of your stuff on some media, but it is has a Digital Repression Mechanism (DRM) then it's still not your stuff. Someone will decide when you can see what you paid for. if they are on-line. If the keys are not revoked. If you don't change your PC too much. If your OS is supported. If...

ps Be careful with spelling mistakes or Jake "The Perfect" will get you. :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Wouldn't you think this would be a violation of consumer rights?

DRM anything is poor choice, you are much better off to infringe copyright (you can shoot the messenger, but it's still the facts). However, if I understand this correctly, you could still access the comics when offline correct? If you could still do that, you kind of are OK. Obviously if you try to transfer a license under Dark Clouds* you're screwed.

The author states this isn't a problem of DRM, and the author is correct. The problem is the entire "Cloud" model when combined with DRM. So yes, you all are correct that this Comixology is just ignoring consumer rights by employing this model.

* I used the term Dark Clouds here because everyone talks about the plain old cloud, but just like clouds, there are dark ones as well. Apparently, dark ones aren't factored in companies business models as long the cash keeps rolling in.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

their stuff is not only DRM infested, but also hooked to "the cloud". Sadly the business model of today's media companies means that you have to "steal" it if you want to own it.

Making your paying customers suffer while the freeloaders have the "full experience" is certainly a good lesson to teach. Especially with a mostly underage audience.

But hey - we can always sue their parents through the nose, so what?

2. Anonymous Custard

"Our teams are working around the clock to resolve these issues so that you can have the experience you've come to expect.”

Unfortunately as often happens with these giveaway things, they did give us exactly the experience we've come to expect :(

Shame as I was initially quite eager for this as well...

3. Lxbr
    FAIL

They download on iPad

I can access all my previously downloaded stuff in the comixology client on my iPad - so there is a copy in there unless you delete it (they do take up quite a lot of space). I think the main complaint is people not being able to get their weekly pull-list of new titles - because all the servers crashed trying to hand out free Marvel comics.

4. Winkypop Silver badge
    Meh

Meh

Now if they were back issues of old Beano and Dandy comics.....YEAH!

5. Afflicted.John
    Coat

Meh. These things happen. If they are pausing the offer then great. I can wait.

700 is a lot of firsts mind...but I cannot wait to get a digital copy of Spider-Girl for my daughter to ram down her male primary school mates faces. Girls can be Spider-Man too....Spider-Girls! And Women!

Not that this has much to do with anything else...

This topic is closed for new posts.