back to article Brit comic-book-guy-vs-gangsters film goes straight to Xbox Live

An independent Brit movie has become the first to be debuted exclusively on Microsoft's Xbox games console. Xbox Live subscribers will get the first chance to see Pulp, a comedy about a comic book company owner who ends up working with the police to stop "a gang of Geordie criminals", from today. The film's creator Adam Hamdy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Moore

Missing the obvious:

"Where they would have been released straight to DVD, the opportunities for doing that have really declined."

No, the rapid access to market these days is to make it available on a OnDemand service, like LoveFilm or Netflix. The fact that he's doing this via Xbox Live would indicate that he already understands this but he has limited his audience to just Xbox owners.

1. Silverburn

Re: Missing the obvious:

Or he thought:

"This is so crap, it's going to have to go straight to DVD. Or wait - if I launched it as online only, will that give it the credibility it desperately needs, while simultanously giving me access to a potentially wider audience without the overhead of burning CD's...?"

2. DJ Smiley
      Facepalm

And gotten lots of nice free publicity.

Strange how that worked out so well eh?

3. TheVogon
      Mushroom

You mean they are expecting to charge for it?! I thought it was a good model to get publicity until you said that. Good luck with that one guys.....

2. frank ly

When the XBox comes in

"It's a great fit," Xbox Live product manager Pav Bhardwaj said. "The film is really well aligned with our audience."

How does he know this? Market research?

3. jason 7
    FAIL

Then we all saw the cost to watch it........

....and moved on.

1. EddieElche
      Pint

Re: Then we all saw the cost to watch it........

exactly my thoughts on this film. I took a look at this yesterday on Xbox live nd stopped when I saw the price. 540 points (or thereabouts) for a film whose funniest line appears to be 'I'm going for a shit'!

for the same money I can rent Skyfall on XBL.

drop the price to a nominal 100 points and maybe people will be interested enough to take the risk of wasting time, money and bandwidth watching it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Films not even fit for "stright to DVD"

are straight to Xbox Live, where there are millions of braindead idiots willing to buy anything...

1. ducatis'r us

Re: Films not even fit for "stright to DVD"

'Tony Leary, the nice-guy owner of Junk Comics, is gearing up for one last roll of the dice. His new superhero title, The Sodomizer, launches at the British International Comic Show, and nothing will stop Tony from making it a success. Nothing except a gang of Geordie criminals ....'

What a great super hero name, wonder his super power is???

Straight to Etch a Sketch...

5. MJI Silver badge

More people will see via TPB

They have now got the advertising, but many people will not see it until it is on the usual sites

1. Don Jefe
      FAIL

Re: More people will see via TPB

So nobody will watch it until they can steal it? I'm not sure which is more sad, the fact that the movie is straight to Xbox or that people are lurking to grab it simply because they can.

1. MJI Silver badge

Of course they won't watch it until then, it is on the eco system of ONE games console, no DVD, no streaming elsewhere, nothing.

Doesn't appeal to me, but good luck to them.

Straight to DVD, at least anyone without an Xbox can see it.

But if a film of this type is any good usually you hear a buzz.

2. TheVogon
        Mushroom

Copying is not theft!

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Retailers have gone out of business because of the threat of piracy

No, retailers have gone out of business because of satellite, cable and cut-price DVDs in supermarkets.

7. Justice
    Coat

*cough*

Will have to torrent it when it's ripped.

Otherwise I'd have to buy an X-Box and a Live account as well as the movie itself to watch it.

MOST-EXPENSIVE-MOVIE-TICKET-EVER!

Films like this kill the industry!

JK

8. Tony Proudlove
    Facepalm

Reinventing the wheel

This is what MUBI is for. It's already out there, is already streaming movies that aren't available on DVD, is already helping to give independent film makers a platform, already has a console client (PS3) and can also be watched through any Flash enabled browser. So what is this guy doing that MUBI isn't already doing better?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUBI

1. MJI Silver badge

Mubi?

All I get is a link to 1 film.

No menus, nothing, not navigable on a PC

1. Tony Proudlove

Re: Mubi?

Admittedly I haven't tried it on a PC before - I've only used it via the PS3 - but it looks like you need to access it via the Facebook app to get it on your PC, which may put off a few people.

9. Daniel B.
    FAIL

Meh.

I'm not buying a shitbox to see this movie. Bad move!

This topic is closed for new posts.