back to article Google Drives into web hosting

Google Drive has turned on a feature that lets the cloud storage service become a limited web host. It's long been possible to allow others to access data stored in the service, which can produce a URL for files. The new tweak means it's possible to ask for a “Preview” of an HTML file stored in Google Drive. Doing so renders …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jamie Jones Silver badge
    FAIL

Yummy

What a lovely URL.......

2. southpacificpom
    Paris Hilton

Indeed

Wonder how many people felt socially engineered enough to click on the "OK" button...

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I wanted infinite size.

The max size of the minefield is 50X50 with 500 mines. I wanted infiniti. Just more proof that Google is evil.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never liked that game

Oh the web hosting thing.

Right!

Whatever.

5. LinkOfHyrule
    Paris Hilton

Dodging dog turds while blindfold

AKA Minesweeper!

I'm sure this service will be a useful way to host phishing websites to get peoples Google logins so thumbs up to Google!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

Re: Dodging dog turds while blindfold

> "Dodging dog turds while blindfold AKA Minesweeper!"

I take it basic arithmetic isn't your strong suit? That's what those little numbers are for in the game - so you aren't poking around blindly.

1. LinkOfHyrule
        WTF?

Re: Dodging dog turds while blindfold

Basic arthmatic? Yeah cos that comes in handy when you lose on the first go dont it! No sorry but that game is silly and dull.

6. Patrick O'Reilly

Drop in the ocean

Similar functionality has been available on Dropbox for a long time.

1. Test Man
      WTF?

Re: Drop in the ocean

And?

7. planetjones
    FAIL

just one problem...

Many companies prohibit access to google drive, so you get connection refused. All in all I would suggest this is not the best platform for hosting a website, unless it's for specific people e.g. a photographer sharing a link with his client.

1. ratfox
      WTF?

Seriously?

Companies block access to Google Drive? What is so objectionable about Google Drive that they would block their employees from accessing it??

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Seriously?

Companies that don't want their employees to be able to simply upload 5GB of company data to work on at home?

8. Silverburn
    Happy

Buckets

from the “buckets” it uses to contain files.

If cloud-based storage of personal information fills you with fear, knowing that one provider stores your information in buckets is hardly reassuring.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It should be impossible to hit a mine on the first click... fail.

10. xperroni
    Gimp

What about Google Sites?

Of course Google has had a web hosting service for some time now. It's called Google Sites, and it's kinda nice actually; I use it to host files for my blogs and the odd web page.

Since nobody ever talks about it I suspected it would be sent to the gallows someday; could this be it?

1. Silverburn
      Angel

Re: What about Google Sites?

"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about"

And he's probably spinning in his grave right now, for associating him with Google - the antithesis of his own admittedly-loose moral code.

11. Nick Pettefar

Thanks

Had to restart Firefox after that page locked it up. Was that the intention?

12. The Alpha Klutz

why all the Minesweeper hate

This is breaking news. Once Minesweeper goes SaaS Microsoft is finished.

13. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

AWS has a free tier

AWS has had a free tier for while now, even S3, so I don't know what virtue a GDrive free HTML hosting has over it.

14. Ben Norris

Use github as a webhost

...and get free source control built in!

This topic is closed for new posts.