back to article Bungie talks up 'genre-defining' Destiny shooter

Halo and Marathon developer Bungie has officially confirmed its next project will be called Destiny, a futuristic shooter with "a universe as deep as that of the Star Wars franchise". Details of the game were splashed across the web when a blabbermouth leaked the project write-up to IGN after getting his mitts on Destiny's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Companies keep projects under wraps in case of unexpected delays and to keep expectations in check. That has now been blown because of some marketing weenies inability to control themselves. If I ran Bungie I would be firing that company and let it be known publicly why. Some things are worth waiting for and this societal need for instant gratification is moronic.

If you cannot trust the people you do business with, it is time to move onto others you can.

1. Gerard Krupa

Early over-hyped announcements about genre-changing games

Perhaps they hired Peter Molyneux

2. GeorgeTuk
      FAIL

Ahhh an AC post

Well done there mate, great that you know exactly what happened here and whose fault it is, why it happened and also understand the relationship between the two companies.

And then to round it off by you are that you are better than the rest of society because you are happy to wait for news on the project.

Best post I have read for a long time on here, made me smile anyway.

2. Dazed & Confused
    Trollface

As 'deep' as Star Wars?

Ewoks deep?

Or Jar Jar Binks deep?

1. Citizen Kaned

Re: As 'deep' as Star Wars?

getting off with your sister deep maybe?

1. K
        Facepalm

Re: As 'deep' as Star Wars?

... Ball deep!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Another linear shooter then from this rather sad one-trick-pony of games company then!

I want games where I get to decide my own fate in the game, I get to build up a character and take the hit from the consequences of my decisions, be they good or bad. I don't want to be spoonfed my gaming experience, I don't want to play games that are as mindless as a typical night in watching crap American TV show re-runs.

If it's not possible to hook it up to a network like WoW, then at least try to give a big single-player worlds like Skyrim or Fallout have.

1. Citizen Kaned

then you want RPG not FPS... they are different animals. i like both as they offer different things. FPS these days are often mainly online with a tacked on single player (such as Battlefield before it sold out)

try deus ex, mass effect, skyrim, fallout etc.

a fallout online game would be amazing

i must admit i do prefer the more intelligent games where my actions decide my fate further on.

i dont buy a football game and complain its not got enough shooting ;)

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>i dont buy a football game and complain its not got enough shooting ;)

But if you bought a shooting game and wanted to shoot footballers, then Sensible Software's Cannon Fodder is for you, as at one pint your plucky platoon stumbles across a pixel-perfect Sensible Soccer match.

4. Greg J Preece

Uh-huh. A "genre-defining" shooter from Bungie, eh? That's bloody terrifying. The last one was over-hyped, over-marketed mediocrity that set shooters back nearly a decade. We're still suffering from it. I look forward to watching the hype machine spin up well in advance.

Oi, Bungie, how about a sequel to Oni?

1. W.O.Frobozz

But but but....

...you could play MULTIPLAYER! And it had VEHICLES!!! Don't you understand, they invented the FPS genre!!!11 Before Halo there was NOTHING, NOTHING AT ALL...

1. Citizen Kaned

Re: But but but....

BF had vehicles first. although IIRC bungie, before they were bought by MS or MS bought Halo, was the first to talk about putting it in a game. i remember being stoked for halo then a year before release MS got the exclusivity.

1. Greg J Preece

BF had vehicles first.

I think you misspelt Starsiege: Tribes... Or perhaps Terminator: Future Shock. Either way, Battlefield was nowhere near the first.

1. Citizen Kaned
            Thumb Up

sorry, i meant before halo.

5. candyman76

Marathon

Does no one remember Marathon? It was the only thing that tempted me to leave a PC for a MAC! That was some great coding by Bungie, way way way before Halo. I may have to go play it now, I think I have a copy someplace still. :)

1. LaeMing
      Thumb Up

AlephOne

Marathon code was open-sourced and ported all over the place. And there are fantastic graphics-update packs.

http://source.bungie.org/

6. Ru

They Raygun Viking look is quite nice, though it does make me thing of Skyrim with tanks at the moment.

Seeing as how Valve has apparently given up with the Half Life stuff, it might be nice to have another choice in the fancy high-budget and vaguely plot-driven shooter market. I've not really got on well with the recent chest-high-walls-em-up type games, here's hoping for something a bit different.

7. Huntsman

Design wise...

it looks like Killzone meets the walkers from Attack of the Clones on Hoth.

I'm in!

8. jubtastic1
    Happy

Always with the negative vibes

I'm looking forward to it, tank looks a bit MaK and I think they did a good job with Halo and Marathon almost cost me my job back in the day heh.

Assuming this will run on one of the boy's consoles It's going on my shopping list alongside GTA5, shut up and take my money style.

9. Neoc

Mech designs

Those mechs have a very Masamune Shirow feel to them ("Appleseed", "Orion", "Black Magic M66" and of course "Ghost In The Shell" to name but a few of his work).

Not necessarily a bad thing, I like his work. I just hope he gets credited for them if that's where they got their inspiration from.

10. Dave 126 Silver badge

it isn't just a shooter - they've posted ads for an 'economy designer', as well as MMO, suggesting that there may be an 'Elite' or 'Star Wars Galaxies' element to it.

Bungie have cited Niven and Banks as inspiration for Marathon and Halo, and this scenario is reminiscent of Against A Dark Background. Fingers crossed it'll be a good un.

1. Greg J Preece

Bungie have cited Niven...as inspiration for...Halo

No kidding? I was wondering if they'd ever 'fess up to that whole "Ringworld" thing.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>I was wondering if they'd ever 'fess up to that whole "Ringworld" thing.

They did, years ago in a statement about taking their inspiration from books rather than film. Those who want a FPS that really takes its inspiration from a movie can get Aliens: Colonial Marines in the new year - with input from Syd Mead.

11. John 62

Halo haters: Assemble!

OK, so lots of people didn't like Halo. I've played 1 to 3 and I know they weren't perfect, but I completed them and enjoyed them. So there.

Complaining about Halo seems to be like complaining about Apple. Like Halo, Apple wasn't first with most things and in some measures isn't the best, but they often do what they do well enough and will usually be a safe choice.

You know the way you often get the Star Wars and Superman music mixed up in your head? After thinking about the Halo music I now have the Airwolf music in my head. Don't say it doesn't happen to you, too!

This topic is closed for new posts.