back to article Box shifters cram UK market with crusty PCs to make room for Win 8

PC shipments into the UK channel declined in the last quarter as vendors focussed on lobbing out Windows 7 machines ahead of the Windows 8 launch. However, in the midst of a recession, no one really noticed any shortages of computers. Abacus-fondling Gartner reckons 2.98 million desktops and notebooks were pushed into the UK …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

do we really need shiny-shiny?

New Pc's when our current ones do the job well enough?

Well, maybe, amd 'it depends'.

My company laptop is being replaced simply because trying to do any decent dev work on a 1366x768 screen with multiple VM's and the current GUI's is next to impossible. Otherwise, IMHO, there is no compelling USP or Must Have feature that my current kit does not already have.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: do we really need shiny-shiny?

Adding a monitor and using that in dual-screen configuration on many laptops gets around that issue. Though for remote support and hot-desking it does get less fun.

Hopefully now the fashion for retina displays has risen, then they should bring some refreshing screen resolutions for laptops. Though arguing resolution needs was and still is currently the best way to get your work laptop updated.

Though friend has a 10 year old 1600x1200 resolution screen laptop, still uses it and until it breaks is still good for the tasks they need.

2. Annihilator
    Paris Hilton

Windows 7 v 8

Reminds me, now that Windows 8 is on sale, what's the general plan for Windows 7 on consumer devices? Are they phasing out Windows 7? Cos if so, I need to tell my parents to replace their aging PC now before it's too late... I wouldn't be able to cope with the multitude of phone calls for a Windows 8 transition. Windows 7 would be a doddle tho.

1. NogginTheNog
      Pint

Re: Windows 7 v 8

Xmas is coming: buy them one as a present 8-)

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
      Stop

Windows 7 support ends in 2020, so they should be OK for a while yet.

1. Annihilator
        Unhappy

"Windows 7 support ends in 2020, so they should be OK for a while yet."

Not support I'm concerned about, it's them walking into PC World picking up a machine for £300 and having no choice about OS in the future.

1. Risky
          Alert

It could be worse, they could buy a Mac.........

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Where will they find the £300 Mac?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Computers are good enough these days. They don't need replacing unless they break.

1. The Alpha Klutz

yeah

i wouldnt put it past the likes of acer that some of their products maybe are built like shit with this in mind

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prices

Have they crashed?

In that case, any pointers to the bet bargain sites?

Ill be happy with windows 7 cheap pc.

1. exexpat
      Happy

Re: Prices

pcworld/Currys had a good sale of win7 laptops to clear the way.

I picked up a zenbook for £650. (35% off) Needed to get it before win8 came along anyway.

I'm guessing comet might have a few too.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Re: Prices

From all accounts Comets fire-sale is a very lacklustre affair with the good stuff getting at best 10% off with the silly things like TV stands getting the 30% reduction. Basicly, they are still making money out of the margins and with that it is probably not even close to a fire-sale.

But do have a look, closer to the end there are bound to be better deals. But thats gamberling.

I'm always a fan of last years models, with the price reduction and the advances in general not justifying the price on later models in comparision to last years. I suspect it will be different next year with the resolution trend in display panels, but not today.

I too snarfed a nice cheap laptop a couple of months pre win 8 launch. Cheap very featured Asus netbook for less than the price of a clone tablet, can't go wrong.

5. Robert E A Harvey

been wating

I've been waiting for the end of compulsory x768 screens. If they want my money they need to supply something I want to buy.

1. Spoonsinger
      Coat

Re: "I've been waiting for the end of compulsory x768 screens"

Umm, for the discerning punter, x768 screens went out years ago. IGMC because I like my 4:3 1600x1200 screen.

2. exexpat
      Happy

Re: been wating

1600x900 on 13.3" here on the zenbook

6. The Alpha Klutz

newsflash: nobody wants celerons

stop fucking selling them

1. The Alpha Klutz

Re: newsflash: nobody wants celerons

or at least make them justifiably cheap not just £10 off the i3 model.

1. Robert E A Harvey

Re: newsflash: nobody wants celerons

Be fair, no-one wants i3 either

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like