back to article Pirate Bay moves to the cloud to confound copyright cops

The Pirate Bay went down for about five minutes on Tuesday night as the group retired almost all of its servers and shifted onto the cloud. "So, first we ditched the trackers. Then we got rid of the torrents. Now? Now we've gotten rid of the servers. Slowly and steadily we are getting rid of our earthly form and ascending into …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Terminator

Regardless of what you think about their morality, this is an awesome attempt at bulletproofing an Internet service.

Heaven help us if it achieves consciousness.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The feds won't be able to DDOS their site as it may affect something else.

1. Christoph
        Black Helicopters

"The feds won't be able to DDOS their site as it may affect something else."

And how will that even slow them down? They've done it before, it's their standard practice.

There was one case some months back where they put a "This site has been blocked because it's run by criminals" notice on *every* customer of a provider who had one single bad client.

2. LarsG
      Happy

The greatest minds of our time...

Are....

Criminals!

This is more than an 'up yours' and it has made me smile

3. Graham Dawson Silver badge

In a sense it's no different to the early move of the film industry to California, a move that took place to avoid paying patent license fees on film equipment.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Taking what they have done a little further, what if they added a viral capability so that it seeks out cloud services and replicates itself automatically?

If the system made itself money and could open its own bank accounts, what would stop it from buying cloud space for itself and continually moving itself around?

It really could be unstoppable.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Mm, yes, a hegemonising swarm set loose on the cloud...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. kwhitefoot
        Thumb Up

Your name isn't Max is it?

Sounds like Max's autonomous corporations in Charlie Stross' Accelerando.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd just like to say

Bravo Sirs, Bravo

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Keep it boys

I am sailing, I am sailing,

home again 'cross the sea.

I am sailing, stormy waters,

to be near you, to be free.

I am flying, I am flying,

like a bird 'cross the sky.

I am flying, passing high clouds,

to be with you, to be free.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“May God bless her, and all who sail on her”

5. g e
    Go

Quality and slickness

To be fair, a model for companies that would have us believe they're more erstwhile and honourable than these guys.

1. cordwainer 1
      Happy

Re: Quality and slickness

Hear Hear! Though could we include the U.S. Congress while we're at it? A cloudier bunch would be hard to find.

6. pewpie
    Pirate

Arr me hearties. It'll be like firing canonballs at a wisp o' hair from Davy Jones golden locks.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Khaptain Silver badge

Its all a cloud

They will do more for cloud computing than anyone has previously done. This really shows what the cloud is all about.

The days of the Dark Net are a reality.

9. nuked
    Trollface

Every cloud has a silver lining it seems.

10. c-hri-s

I've never quite understood what's so hard about tracking them down. My computer knows "where" their server is as it quite easily gets data from their website. So why can't you just 'follow the packets' and end up at the server?

I assume they are located somewhere not-so-easy to walk in and bust, or they are located in so many places that it's impractical.

On the management side several people must be looking after the site, "unpaid", full time. What's in it for them .. except great risk?

You can't help but admire their tenacity. I don't think they'll ever be 'busted' out of existence, but I can see them claiming their mission is complete at some point and just gracefully turning everything off.

p.s. TPB, please can I have some of your servers you no longer need? :)

1. kver
      Devil

It's difficult to track them down because their physical equipment is nothing but a middle-man now. You are talking indirectly to the servers.

Now what makes this special is the fact that in addition to indirect communication, the physical machines running the service are running encrypted content on a virtual machine. So whoever does own the physical machines has no idea what they're serving. In addition, those virtual machines don't talk to the users, they talk to the middle-man routers - so they don't know what they're serving or who they're serving to.

Basically, the only way to shut down the pirate bay permanently is to have every country in the world on standby, and within hours (maybe less) lead succesive raids on the physical router and balancer to find the physical locations the cloud servers the balancer has been speaking with. Then, they would need to collect evidence from those machines before getting locked out in the time remaining.

If they fail to find any of the cloud servers, they would have 0 evidence, just standard equipment with some encrypted addresses. By the time they would decrypt that info - if they could - the cloud servers would have already changed and the network could easily be reinstated.

And just for a kick in the nuts, they only have 8 hours to find the cloud-servers if they wanted any evidence of what those servers were serving.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The only organization I can think of that *MIGHT* be able to shut them down would be the CIA, and I dont think they'd waste the time and money on a bunch of pirates, especially if they don't know for certain if its even possible to take them down as its most likely mirrored to hell and back.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

or you could take out the load balancers and see which VM's have a sudden load drop-off.

Maybe.

There aren't that many cloud providers to monitor.

Avast! Whatever the morality, the tech be cool. Like Cap'n Sparra, we impressed.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

encrypted cloud services

Cloud VM services may be encrypted... but are you going to store your pins, passwords, bank details, medical history on them? The encryption may, for all intents and purposes, be un-crackable but that will not stop the far more probable scenario of the keys being obtained through hackery, mislaid or stolen. Like it's never happened before...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How silly

Do they think their Net activities can't be recorded?

Off to prison again. These morons just don't get it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How silly

Downvoted for pompous comment, unsupportive stance and being so self righteous.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How silly

Silly indeed,

Now, can you spell L-user ?

12. Knochen Brittle
    Angel

TPB = immortality^style

Over and above the Matrix, whooping up grog and pissing in Skynet's chips ... forever!

13. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

Cloud?

Just marketing for Hosted Services on real servers somewhere. It's no different at all to having servers of their own at a number of different data centres.

Whether or not their site(s) run on a virtual server or not isn't relevant either.

Virtual Servers and so called Clouds use real servers in real buildings in real countries.

I'm 100% opposed to pursuing downloaders or blocking people's internet to ANY server (doomed to failure) or cutting of people from the Internet.

But these people are no latter day Robin Hoods. They are at best parasites and at worst criminals. Just because the Media Industry is nuts and charges too much and doesn't recompense the artists and production crew enough doesn't give them the right to distribute.

I admire people that create, I admire people that pay to support that. I despise parasites and criminals dressing up their actions as somehow beneficial.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cloud?

Down voted for your pompous undertones.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Down

I don't think you have any idea what yo are talking about. Of course its different. A real server can be seized by the police because it exists in a real, fixed location, is the property of the criminal, or of someone knowingly hosting the illegal content. With a cloud service the criminal does not know where the server is actually located, and its location can change. Further more the provider does not know what activity is going on on the server. Both parties have actual deniability. Plus, a virtual server can not be seized, even if it could somehow be tracked down (within 8 hours). If the authorities could track it down only the disk image can be seized but it is encrypted. And good luck getting a warrant (again, within 8 hours) if the disk image happens to be stored somewhere that isn't in the USA's pocket.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

And more importantly - even if the police did get their act together and impound a router in Estonia talking to a load balancer in Korea and so find and shutdown the VM in the Netherlands.

Then 10 secs later another VM copy paid for by a Mr J Smith's disposable credit card spins up in Canada.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They aren't distributing FFS. It's a collection of links, that are easily enough found by other routes. They didn't put the stuff there. You really don't get it. Do you. Back to your MPAA office

4. stanimir

@Mage,

If you do not understand something, just don't talk about.

To put it simply:

- the data is stored somewhere in some country in encrypted form. -- getting those yields you nothing, unless you have the decryption keys

- there is another bunch or servers that just redirect to those machines and decrypt dynamically - getting those is a step but if the encrypted storage 'realizes' it has lost its "proxies" it wipes itself out, you have 8 hours to seize, understand what it does, how it does i (and where)t and issue warrant in another country (which might not be cooperative at all)

i.e. good luck.

1. Mage Silver badge

I understand perfectly that TBP doesn't store the copies themselves and is using encryption and routers etc.

But at the end of the day they are the wrong peolple to cheer, they are not doing a single iota of good nor advancing any cause. They are egotistical parasitical scum that get far too much publicity. Their "information" to enable people to download do live on real servers somewhere. The "Cloud" is purely a marketing concept, Routing, load sharing, virtual machines etc practically pre-date the internet and certainly pre-date websites.

I'm baffled as to why the smart people here would cheer on these idiots.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I don't think the smart people are cheering on anything here, except some clever use of existing technology to solve a niggling distribution problem.

The fact that it is PB doing the clever use is secondary, in my book. It was only a matter of time before someone reasoned a bullet-proof way around the ham-fisted, freedom-robbing techniques devised by some fat-cat studio owners during a coke-fuelled sex orgy . Perhaps the moguls should learn a little more about how the tech works, or in their case, doesn't work.

Once again, the Net (and the ingenuity of the people using it) shows why it is not so easy for any one entity or pressure group to take control. DARPA was probably the best investment of the US taxpayer's dollar ever.

To the MPAA and your other freedom-loving appendages: looks like you will need to re-think your ridiculous strategy for world domination and oppression. Good luck

And go, go Neo....

14. stragen001

Time for my favourite quote again...

"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it" - John Gilmore 1993

1. Dazed and Confused
      Headmaster

Re: Time for my favourite quote again...

I'm sure that predates 1993. I remember seeing something very similar on a usenet posting back in the 80s.

2. Tom 7

Re: Time for my favourite quote again...

Asimov wrote more or less the same where the computers could work out when they were being gamed and modify their behaviour to ameliorate it.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Taking this to the next level.....

I have to say, leaving aside any kind of morals about what they actually do, clearly they are a gifted bunch and I have to tip my hat from a technical standpoint. Just imagine what these guys could do if they ran a legitimate business.

However, I do have to say, I hope the home secretary is paying attention. With the snoopers charter this kind of thing is going to become more and more prevalent for the criminal element. By chasing this group down they have been forced to build a fortress. and made catching them costly/time consuming and probably 9 times out of 10 fruitless. While this group help people get a crappy copy of a film doesn't keep me awake at night I do worry what the more serious criminals will do using this kind of set-up. Maybe its an inevitable step in technological evolution that would have happened anyway, but then maybe we've bought it on ourselves. And I for one, blame the music and film industry!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Taking this to the next level.....

If they were legitimate they would be constrained.

I am the wind, I am the cloud that moves in the wind.

Try catching that in your hand and keeping hold of it me hearties!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Full HD copies of films that aren't even out in the UK yet don't count as 'crappy' in my book

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"... but then maybe we've bought it on ourselves."

No, we got it all for free.

16. Anonymous C0ward
    Pirate

Do what you want, 'cos a pirate is free

You are a pirate!

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Re: Do what you want, 'cos a pirate is free

We'll dig up the box...

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hope Demonoid follows suit.

18. tkioz
    Pirate

While I'm not a huge fan of piracy (with the exception of geolocked content, seriously screw those guys, imposing real world borders on the 'net? get bent), it is somewhat amusing to watch the arms race between the two parties.

1. Michael 47

The arms race...

...can't lead to anything good:

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20120321

1. Elmer Phud

Re: The arms race...

Reminds me of Neal Stephenson's 'toner'

(remains of nano-bot wars)

And also Jeff Noon's blurbflies wars.

19. Steve Evans

No change to tracking...

"The move may also throw a bit of a wrench in plans by AT&T and other US network operators to implement a "six strikes and you're out" policy on piracy, which is due to take effect by the end of the year. Tracking IP addresses of Pirate Bay users is going to be key to the RIAA and MPAA's enforcement efforts, and that task looks to have become significantly harder with the latest Brahman bootstrapping."

It won't make the blindest bit of difference. The MPAA/RIAA don't rely on physical access to the server to track people on a torrent. All you have to do is start to download it yourself, and ta-da, you have a nice list of IP addresses of people giving you bits of the torrent.

Automating this process is already widely used in the anti-piracy circles.

1. Grikath
      Meh

Re: No change to tracking...

And the real pirates/freetards/illegal redistributors use [enter your favourite method of IP obfuscation here] so the best they can get is the low-hanging fruit who either download to see whether or not something is worth buying, or using a torrent because you simply cannot order said item/program/file *even if you wanted to* due to geographic lockouts imposed against all forms of common reason other than blind greed by the industry sustaining these agencies, who strangely enough seem to claim global jurisdiction "because of the internet" while at the same time enforcing said geographical restrictions.

Curioser and curioser, as Alice said.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"... to see whether or not something is worth buying, or using a torrent because you simply cannot order said item/program/file *even if you wanted to* due to geographic lockouts..."

Or because they forgot to set the Humax box to record Fresh Meat the other night...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Or because the football game went into overtime, so the schedule for the rest of the night gets delayed by 45 minutes.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Actually it won't change a thing. 100% of all Internet traffic is documented and accessible to law enforcement. It is literally impossible to not be tracked or found, given enough time and resources. The pucker factor will increase significantly when the knock on the door comes.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Suricou Raven

You over look something. It isn't required that pirates (Or any other criminal, or political dissident, or anyone wishing to hide) be impossible to track. All that they need to do is make tracking them sufficiently difficult and expensive that their capture is not worth the cost of tracking. To find TPB's servers with this setup would take a serious amount of detective work and the cooperation of multible cloud providers located around the world, all arranged in under eight hours. Other means - social engineering of the operators, flooding with fake torrents, tarpit clients to disrupt the swarm - would be much more cost-effective.

20. Graham Marsden
    Happy

"we are getting rid of our earthly form and ascending into the next stage"

So they're saying they're Subliming?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "we are getting rid of our earthly form and ascending into the next stage"

Subliming, or Occulting if you're of the Twelver Shia persuasion.

1. Great Bu

Re: "we are getting rid of our earthly form and ascending into the next stage"

Does this make them Operating Thetans yet ?

21. Winkypop Silver badge
    Pirate

The beginning of "Higher culture" ?

http://www.peterfhamilton.co.uk/

22. bruceld
    Devil

What's next? Funneling and encrypting downloads through servers in the cloud? Any engineers reading this? *hint hint*

23. Ben 50
    Facepalm

irrelevant tech fixes

This is where the power of a name/brand becomes apparent.

The u.s. controls the dns system. Eventually they will block the pirate bay dns entry, and the majority of people won't be able to find it - despite spiffy server setup.

I do not, incidentally, look forward to this day. We are already teetering on the slippery slope.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: irrelevant tech fixes

Oh come on. When has blocking the DNS ever worked? They can publish an IP address (or several), or many different domains pointing to it. While the US plays whackamole, people will club together to list the new domain names in a thousand different places. As it is, in the UK they blocked the main server, and all we have to do is type a different one. Usage from here dipped very briefly and is now back to normal. Blocking DNS will have close to no effect.

2. GrumpyJoe
      Thumb Down

DNS is a distributed system, US controls .com, .org etc. - THOSE they can take down. As long as a server has an IP address it can be found.

3. DJ Smiley
      IT Angle

blu ray encryption key is a common example known by any true techie of why what you just typed is utter trash.

4. stanimir

The u.s. controls the dns system.

you wish...

but it does controls ."org" (for "unknown" reasons), hence it's pb.se now...

24. Dan Price

While I'm not going to comment on the morals of their business, that is possibly the most genius way of building a resilient system I've ever heard of.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UnRAID-able :P

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not that ressilient

All good and well and kudos to TPB guys but there are still a great weakness:

All the authorities have to do is:

1) Put a tab on the router

2) See where the traffic goes (to the loadbalancer)

3) Put a a tab on the loadbalancer

4) See where the traffic goes (to the website/main-servers)

5) Get a warrant, ask cloudhosting-center to make a real-time copy of the servers in question. This is doable since a cloud-server can be copied while running. No decryption necessary. They can make as many copies of this image as they want.

6) Putting an image into operation again, gives them 8 hours to study it and disable the 8 hour deadmans-switch. If they fail at this, they just start up another copy and have another 8 hours, etc.

7) With this hard evidence they can now probably get the domain seized (thepiratebay.se). They can also do this entire process each time thepiratebay moves to different cloud service hostingcenter.

1. DJ Smiley
      Facepalm

Re: Not that ressilient

Can you explain this "tab" you speak of?

Because without 1., 2,3,4,5,6 and 7 have all failed.

1. Colin Miller

Re: Not that ressilient

I think by "put a tab on" our anonymous friend meant "passively monitor the IP traffic to and from" .

In theory, at least with only a concurrent few requests, this kind of traffic monitoring can help track where the data is going.

If there was world-wide co-operation, then after determining where all the servers are located, then all of tem could get raided at the same time,

27. Miek

Looks like someone just upped the ante.

28. Displacement Activity
    Thumb Down

Dumb

1 - Some part of the cloud will eventually end up physically located in the US. That will be enough for the FBI/whoever to claim that some unspecified crime with a 30-year tariff has been committed in the US.

2 - No reputable cloud provider is going to be stupid enough to think that encryption allows plausible deniability.

3 - As night follows day, this will lead to cloud providers refusing to host encrypted content from any clients, including you and me.

4 - This won't make it any harder to track down PB. All roads will still lead to their load balancers. The fact that there's no content on site won't make a blind bit of difference.

5 - Any cloud provider with the infrastructure to provide a good service will (a) have servers in the US, and (b) will be desperate to keep on the right side of the law, so will (c) shop PB to the FBI without a moment's hesitation.

So, what's the point? They should have stuck with physical servers in a country with no laws. They must know this. My guess is that this press release is all just spin.

1. stanimir

Re: Dumb

>>1 - Some part of the cloud will eventually end up physically located in the US.

This is so unfound and just your opinion, you can pick 'clouds' in tons of countries and I am pretty sure the servers are located in the datacenter listed.

>>3 This will lead to cloud providers refusing to host encrypted content from any clients,

Define encrypyed, you can't. Again a lot of assumptions. The bits may or may not have any value w/o some particular client for that data. Before jpeg was introduced data of the image contained would appear mostly like encrypted data. The data may or may not require external key but that's quite beyond the point.

>>5 Any cloud provider with the infrastructure to provide a good service will (a) have servers in the US

Yay, and the cloud providers magically do geographical spread even if your customers are in Germany

2. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Dumb

> 3 - As night follows day, this will lead to cloud providers refusing to host encrypted content from any clients, including you and me.

Wow, so they refuse to host any websites that use https?

Like... all e-commerce?

You didn't really think about that very carefully did you?

29. Bogus Dude
    Stop

Pirates ?

I grow seriously tired of the pure and utter greed of these corporate giants.

In order to maintain control of their empires, they use ever more draconian and invasive procedures to rape your privacy and limit choice while you are using LEGITIMATE methods of obtaining media.

I would like to acquire the media I want, pay and leave WITHOUT an ever expanding list of "partners" knowing who I am, where I live, what I have purchased, what else I have purchased before and how long my inside leg is.

I want to buy your product NOT become one.

They constantly whinge about losses created by freetards downloading and quote ridiculous figures to support their rant while:

a) Their quarterly returns expose the lie

b) In MOST cases the freetards would never have paid for their product anyway

Therefore losses approximately = 0

And they then wonder why more people turn to alternative methods.

For the record, I am not a freetard but I do not oppose sites like The Pirate Bay

I just want freedom of choice.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pirates ?

"I would like to acquire the media I want, pay and leave WITHOUT an ever expanding list of "partners" knowing who I am, where I live, what I have purchased, what else I have purchased before and how long my inside leg is. I want to buy your product NOT become one."

Wow. this stopped me in my tracks. Its such as understated point. You never hear a politician, legislator or industry official acknowledge never mind address this! Basically if you download legitimately you waive your rights to privacy. You agree to be tracked! Anyone know of a legitimate downloading service that is completely anonymous?

30. Archie Woodnuts

While this is very clever indeed

I'm surprised that no one has mooted the opinion that maybe these chaps are just clever enough to say one thing and do another. Misdirection and all that.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"3 - As night follows day, this will lead to cloud providers refusing to host encrypted content from any clients, including you and me."

Yes, that will be a brilliant idea. Maybe at the same time they'll give away free copies of the data to anyone who asks for it.. May as well..

Yes, deny all encryption. that'll stop em'!

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm...

This must be up for the single most one-sided "debate" on The Reg, ever.

Have a little think - basically everyone is agreeing with each other, anyone who even appears to suggest anything that doesn't tow the line is downvoted massively and called a moron. Does this mean that everyone who reads The Reg, or everyone on the Net is in agreement, or does it mean that the people who have different views don't feel that they can comment on these articles any more. There's no point in commenting if everyone agrees with each other and just posts re-hashings of the same three or four opinions.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm...

Disagree completely! For example this poster makes a hell of a point:-

"I would like to acquire the media I want, pay and leave WITHOUT an ever expanding list of "partners" knowing who I am, where I live, what I have purchased, what else I have purchased before and how long my inside leg is. I want to buy your product NOT become one."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmm...

I know I'm a little late to the party here but:

"There's no point in commenting if everyone agrees with each other and just posts re-hashings of the same three or four opinions."

This is Coward's Special Theory of Pointlessness.

The General Theory of Pointlessness is

"There's no point in commenting."

33. Iain Leadley
    Thumb Up

Yeah

At last I see a useful function for the Cloud.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

8 hours?

What's the 8 hours timeframe that keeps getting referenced? An arbitrary number or something based in fact?

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

El Reg - HTTPS?

For a tech site, why is the login and posting non SSL / HTTPS?

I tried changing the URL but it didn't work....Off topic I know sorry, but Just noticed when posting before ...

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cloud of trust

assuming your provider ain't taking snapshots of a live running system (for availability reasons of course...)

37. tempemeaty
    Black Helicopters

Corporations load the cloudy amo and fire at foot

Nice to see corporation's cloudy plans for control now used against them so wonderfully. Corporations creating cloud storage seem to act like they want a future with all your data and OS there instead of on your hardware. It's as if they plan for it to be a way to control you by controlling your Internet access to it. No access no data or OS. Now I wonder if those corporations haven't shot themselves in the foot with this cloud. I can't help but imagine the Pirate Bay guys thinking something like, "thanks for the amo." LOL.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like