back to article Teachers get earful of racy XXX chat in Capita IT cock-up

Capita's school IT wing is on the naughty step after putting teachers and administrators through to advertisements for adult chat lines. Anyone trying to get through to the support helpdesk for the Capita School Information Management System in the last few days has instead been transferred to wrong numbers, including some XXX …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. mark 63 Silver badge
    Childcatcher

quick! overreact!

so capita are exposing younstres to smut!

Arrest them!

Put them on the Sex offenders Register!

no that would be crazy.

so why did ity happen to this guy?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/01/bbm_man_reduced_sentence/

1. Crisp

Re: quick! overreact!

Because he's an easily caught individual.

Not a massive faceless corporation where blame can be so diluted it's impossible to actually finger anyone behind this cock up.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wait. Capita run adult chat lines?

1. El Zorro

No wonder the government keep contracting them

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

.. or contacting them :)

2. Rob
      Joke

Of course...

... why else do you think they are so expensive and never satisfy their targets.

3. Code Monkey
    Trollface

"intermittent problem"

Helldesk being bawdy little monkeys?

4. Adam Comben
    WTF?

Crossed lines?

Crossed wires? I think the bigger shock here is that Capita are still using analogue telephone lines.. (No ISDN? No VoIP?)

1. Nick G
      Holmes

Re: Crossed lines?

A shock that Crapita are still using outmoded technology? You must not have worked for them...

2. peter 45

Re: Crossed lines?

What is more likely is that 'crossed wires' is PR doublespeak for 'we screwed up the shortcut numbers we programmed, but want to message to imply it is not our fault.' I know what my pound bet is on.

5. LinkOfHyrule
    Gimp

I just tried phoning up for my regular sesh with Miss Cane, I had my dunces cap on and everything but instead got put through to some bloody teacher's IT help desk!

6. Elmer Phud

Integrated systems - the more is outsourced to one managing company the more is funneled in to one helpdesk.

Don't they have labels to show which line it's coming in to?

7. tommy060289
    Trollface

one teacher was quoted as saying...

I rang up for IT support and instead got put through to some smut. I rang them several times over the next few days. Just to check if there was still a problem...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: one manager was quoted as saying...

It makes our call throughput target times well below the SLA level, we're all due BIG bonuses from the Education Budget

we made a fortune from all those 30-second calls!!

8. xyz Silver badge
    Headmaster

yeah, whatever...teachers' best excuse yet

yeah, yeah, I was only trying to phone the help desk. My trousers are 'round my ankles 'cos you get better reception that way

1. Risky
      Gimp

Re: yeah, whatever...teachers' best excuse yet

Is that how you get a decent singnal on an iPhone, then?

1. AndrueC Silver badge
        Joke

Re: yeah, whatever...teachers' best excuse yet

Only if you hold it right.

9. GBE

Better than the crap music...

It's probably better than the crap music one often hears in the US while on hold.

A couple weeks ago, I was on on my T-Mobile phone on hold waiting to talk to T-Mobile customer service and their PBX was attempting to play crappy music

that would have been annoying in the best conditions. But, the spectral content of

the "music" was apparently beyond the ability of the CODEC T-Mobile choses to use on their GSM network in the 'States. Half of the time the music was just bursts of buzzy noise.

10. despairing citizen
    Big Brother

Joking Aside

Ah, how secure is the Crapita network if it is causing "crossed lines" ?

11. mhoulden

Dilbert resembling real life

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1998-03-19/

12. enerider
    Pint

And a TBOFH gets his wings...

Was my first thought about the title!

Other n that - large multinational in outdated technology SNAFU.

Pour me another one, would you?

13. This post has been deleted by its author

14. mickey mouse the fith

"In the small number of cases that we are aware of, callers have experienced what appears to be a ‘crossed-line’ where, while on the line with our service desk, they heard an advertisement mentioning an adult chat line."

So someone clicked the wrong button putting someone on hold, and instead of the muzak file, they pached in a smutty ad to an easily offended busybody then?

If I was calling them, it would probably make my day, much better than the `greensleeves played on a bontempi organ and relayed via 1890`s style gramaphone soundhorn at the distant end of a very long corridor` one is usually subjected to.

15. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Is this an early BOFH?

Normally you post those much later on a Friday :)

(missing them!!)

16. Crisp

Important questions need to be asked.

What's the phone number for this line, and how much are they charging?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like