back to article Doctor Who to hit small screen on 1 September

The latest instalment of Doctor Who, which will feature Amy Pond's "heartbreaking" exit, is set to air in the UK on BBC1 on 1 September. Series 7 will also debut the Time Lord's latest sidekick, played by Jenna-Louise Coleman, who will make her first appearance during the Christmas special episode. Before that, Who fans are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FTFY

Time, then, to pull on your bowtie, grab a Pot Noodle bowl of fishfingers and custard and turn on the tellybox.

1. stucs201

Re: FTFY

Don't forget the bag of jelly babies...

2. LarsG

The big question

Will Karen Gillan have a future in television after this, other than the odd ghostly guest appearance?

2. gaz 7

Pot Noodle?

Heretic - should be fish fingers and custard and nowt else!

1. Alister

Re: Pot Noodle?

Hmm, Fish Finger and Custard Pot Noodle, now there's an idea...

3. gaz 7

Damn

Beaten to it...

but he's an AC, so in my book that doesnt count

1. dont care what ever
      Joke

Re: Damn

i sure apple will have a patent on it , so your out of luck on that one

1. dont care what ever

Re: Damn

after all arnt fish fingers rectangular with rounded corners !!!

4. historymaker118
    Meh

Doctor Who?

^^horible pun

I think this is the least excited I've ever been about a new season of Doctor who. The trailer just wasn't all that interesting, and really, Daleks again? I'm getting completely fed up with the inability to be creative with enemies and just reusing the same ones over and over. /rant

New season of MLP: FiM on the other hand...

1. Oliver Mayes

Re: Doctor Who?

Reusing the same enemies? You know the Daleks have only had 1 episode out of the last 2 series? (OK, they've had short cameos in 2 other episodes but that's still far less screen time than other enemies).

Can't argue with you about the ponies though, I can't wait.

1. jai

and hasn't there been at least one daleks episode in _every_ series of Dr Who?

Dr Who without the Daleks who be like Batman without the Joker, Superman without Lex Luthor, Star Trek without Klingons, Obi Wan Kenobi without Darth Vader or Speedy Service without Bad Bird!

1. JDX Gold badge

Dr Who without the Daleks who be like Star Trek without Klingons

Exactly. If they lose all the old baddies everyone would be complaining about that too. I think they've kept a good mix of oldies - Daleks and Cybermen are just good inventions** - and new creations... the Angels are probably the best new ones although the Ood are cool too.

**although they've done their best to screw them up making them friendly and emotional

2. Chris007
          FAIL

you said "and hasn't there been at least one daleks episode in _every_ series of Dr Who?"

In a word - No.

IIRC, Tom Baker did 7 years of Dr Who and met the Daleks twice - In fact, until Dr Who was revived, most Doctors didn't see the Daleks every new series of episodes. Same goes for the Cybermen as well.

1. BoldMan

John Pertwee never even met the Cybermen in his 5 years as Doctor. They were only revived in the first year of Tom Baker in 1975 having last been seen Invading London in 1968 (which was when Lethbridge-Stewart was finally a Brigadier!)

1. BoldMan

Bugger isn't it annoying that you spot the typo just after you've clicked submit? Jon not John of course!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Cthonus
              Happy

Pertwee? Yes he did albeit briefly: there was a couple of seconds clip of (I think) The Moonbase cybermen used as a Miniscope realm in Carnival of Monsters.

(unashamed Who-phile) :D

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. TheRealRoland
          Coat

Cher without Sonny? Tina without Ike? :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
            Devil

Re: Cher without Sonny?

How about 'Cher without make-up and cosmetic surgery'... See now?

As for Speedy Service, I'm stil waiting for the little kid's spin-off series. Or a ruddy DVD release!

1. jai

Re: Cher without Sonny?

[Samurai Pizza Cats offtopic]

The little kid and his mum? that'd be an awesome show! :)

you can get a dvd, with the american voice-overs which are much more hilarious than the original scripts. But i dunno if it's official exactly.

[/Samurai Pizza Cats offtopic]

5. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Hmph

I like to be surprised when I watch stuff, so I'm not happy to see "...which will feature Amy Pond's "heartbreaking" exit..." in the first line of the article.

Oh all right, perhaps I shouldn't have clicked on the article if I didn't want to know any more.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: Hmph

This isn't the first time that it's been mentioned that Amy Pond is going.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh all right, then. If it's common knowledge I guess it was inevitable that I would come across it.

At least it saves me getting ratty when one of my family lets it slip.

2. h4rm0ny

<riversong>Spoilers</riversong>

6. Tom 7

Bowl of petunias..

how many times can the Daleks be exterminated?

1. Smallbrainfield

Re: Bowl of petunias..

Fair point, but in the trailer they are imploring the Doctor to save them...

2. Big_Ted

Re: Bowl of petunias..

FFS.....He's a time traveler, he is bound to bump into them in the past.

Add to that we know there are still some of the new daleks still around. Plus they could always bring some in using dalek time tunnel tech.....

Bringing back Davros would be a stretch but all else is possible.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Tom

Actually, I'm pretty curious how they're going to revive them again.

Because in the last 'full' Dalek episode (Victory of the Daleks iirc) they basically "fell" out of time and in the end returned to their own timeline but this time in full strength. To my understanding this own timeline was within the timewar.

1. BorkedAgain
        Thumb Up

Re: @Tom

I'm just glad to see that we seem to be agreeing that the Gay Dalek reboot never happened...

7. Tony Paulazzo
    Happy

Credits finish.

Exterior alien planet (aka stone quarry in Wales somewhere).

The tardis materialises, the door opens, Amy Pond steps into view.

Blown to smithereens by dalek.

If it starts like that I'll be excited for the new series.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Amy Pond is hot, we need to see more of her! (literally)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

its back kids

I just feel sorry for anyone over about 10 years old. I stopped watching the last series after 2 eps cos of all the running around shouting like in a panto .

It is a kids program after all.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: its back kids

...along with the "oh no, yet another rubber faced goon to play the new doctor"

2. Scott 19
      Devil

Re: its back kids

<------

A

9. Graham Bartlett

"The Angels Take Manhattan"

I'm so looking forward to the Weeping Angels doing the Busby Berkeley thing down a massive staircase. "Start spreading the news, I'm petrifying today..."

1. Yet Another Commentard

Re: "The Angels Take Manhattan"

then they take Berlin.

10. tony72

Liked Amy...

...didn't like Rory. Changed the whole Doctor-assistant dynamic, having him around, made the whole thing seem more teen soap than anything else, so I stopped watching after about five or six episodes. I might give it another shot with the new assistant.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Liked Amy...

I quite liked Rory. Well, the Doctor/Rory interplay anyway, not so much the Rory / Amy stuff. The way the Doctor would just nod at Rory to tell him to go after Amy, or tell him secrets about stuff in a low voice... it rather reminded me of the relationship he had with Ian Chesterton - a kind of unvoiced, shared chivalry when things got dangerous.

11. h4rm0ny

Heartbreaking Exit? (Speculation)

I am confused if Amy is going to exit in this episode. Whilst it seems possible, the trailer for the series shows her in several other episodes - one with dinosaurs and one (seemingly) set in the Wild West. It seems doubtful that either or both of these are the Asylum of the Daleks episode this one (apparently) is. So either she carries on after her exit or we're being misinformed about her leaving in this episode.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Heartbreaking Exit? (Speculation)

I think the article is saying that she departs during this season, not the first episode of the season.

If the new companion doesn't appear until the xmas special then I'm guessing we've got a whole lotta Amy Pond-age for at least 12 of the 13 episodes in this season.

1. h4rm0ny

Thanks. That lead into the article could do with some clean-up if that's what they meant.

Also - gah: more Amy Pond. Liked her at first, but she got really boring about half way through her first season for me. She was great in The Girl Who Waited, though. One of the few good episodes of Season Six, imo.

2. Gio Ciampa

Not 12 or 13 - just the 5 listed before the Christmas episode - the rest are due "in the Spring" and then it'll be all systems go for the 50th anniversary in the autumn.

3. Dave Bell

This is apparently to be a split season, with a break over Christmas, when the Christmas Special will be shown.

It's all to do with lining up the timing for the 50th Anniversary next year, both broadcast dates and production schedule.

4. Iain Griffiths

Except that the series is split 5 Xmas Special , 7 in the new year sometime.

The Ponds are leaving at the end of the 5th Ep.

12. scifidale
    Gimp

Pond-age, now theres a thought!!!

13. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Interesting Show Titles

I wonder if the titles from which these titles seem to be derived give any hints as to how the shows will play... Nah!

Asylum of the Daleks = Asylum of the Damned

Dinosaurs on a Spaceship = Snakes on a Plane

A Town Called Mercy = A Town Called Panic (or A Town Called Malice)

The Power of Three = The Power of Six

The Angels Take Manhattan = Jason Takes Manhattan (or the Muppets, or any number of others)

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Interesting Show Titles

Debbie Does Davros?

14. NJS
    Coat

Western episode

Out of curiosity - anybody else think the cyborg thing in the western episode looks a bit like Kryten? Now there's a crossover episode.

I'll get me own coat.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why ?

another load of over hyped dull repetetive crud from the bbc.

actors who cannot act,script writers with no imagination but makes the bbc loads of cash for licenceing shitty plastic toys.

cor,what a wonderful service the bbc provide.

repeat,repeat,over blown olympics that a decent student geek group could do better,repeat,repeat.

dull expensive service that i will be glad not to have to pay for when i get rid of tv next year.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      WTF?

Re: why ?

Why are you waiting until next year?

16. jaywin

"Heartbreaking exit"

Does this mean that when Amy / Rory die in this season, they're actually going to stay dead for once?

You mean we won't automatically be able to shout "Oh my god! You / they killed Rory! You b*****d!" in response to their inevitable deaths because the resurection isn't guaranteed?

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: "Heartbreaking exit"

> going to stay dead for once?

When you own a time machine, does that question even make sense?

1. BorkedAgain

Re: Re: "Heartbreaking exit"

Reckon they'll wheel out that useful plot device that usually surfaces when the obvious answer would be "Um. Time machine?" - the "fixed point in time."

This topic is closed for new posts.