back to article Sony claims PSN attack is a hoax not a hack

Sony has denied claims allegedly made by Anonymous that the hactivist group breached the PlayStation Network and stole over 10m account details, despite nearly 3000 credentials being posted online as apparent proof. One alleged member of Anonymous claims to have stolen a 50GB database containing millions of users' details, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

anon are getting lazy

anon, as id hate for them to find me, and punish me for my comment! eeek!

2. W.O.Frobozz
    Thumb Down

Clownshoesnonymous

So what are these script kiddies attempting to prove by hacking Sony? Oh big bad Sony, they so deserve it because Blu-ray sucks or whatever right? I find it quite interesting that they wouldn't attempt a hack on Microsoft's X-Box Live. It's not like Microsoft has ever been a good citizen.

1. Mike Judge
      Stop

Re: Clownshoesnonymous

Xbox Live HAS been hacked. Accounts emptying has been going on for over a year now.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/02/26/xbox-live-accounts-still-being-hacked/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-06-a-january-account-of-xbox-live-hacking-and-fraud

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/Xbox/8906043/Xbox-Live-customers-hacked-in-fresh-cyber-fraud-case.html

The only difference is Microsoft are sweeping the problem under the carpet, and ensuring the American press don't say anything bad about the American console, as it keeps Americans in jobs.....

3. SpaMster
    FAIL

PS3 FTW?

So Anon has turned into a bunch of xbox fanboys now

Thats the end of that then

4. auburnman
    FAIL

Hack doubtful.

If there's one company that SHOULD have security tighter than a nun's chuff habit, it's a company that's been embarrassed by their laxity in recent memory like Sony.

5. ukgnome
    Thumb Down

Who do you believe?

Sony who took weeks to get the PSN back online or anonymous?

My money is on the anons - just wish I could work out why they would do this though. Nothing to gain, nothing to prove. If they did do this then what a bunch of sad tossers

< - not anon because I don't give a shit about them

1. auburnman

Re: Who do you believe?

PSN wasn't brought down by a hack, Sony took it offline while they investigated what happened. I look at it as a sign that Sony were serious about fixing the weaknesses despite the growing furore in the media. A weaker company might have bowed to pressure and put access back up before completing their security review.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who do you believe?

Fanboy alert.

I know it's hard, but try and stay away from fanboyism. when you have been potentially hacked, you have to:

1/ take the servers down.

2/ forensically image what you have.

3/ analyze what m,ay have been taken and always air on the cautious side, take a worst case scenario

4/ if you can't be 100% sure something wasn't taken, then you have to assume it was.

However the media totally raped Sony for doing the right thing, and coming 100% clean and honest and worst case, so magically "creditcards may have been accessed" suddenly was reported as "creditcards were stolen"...

Sony did 100% the right thing, and whilst it meant you couldn't play you games, they were going through the painfully meticulous process of following the rules, the desperate media used it as an example to cash in on sensationalist and irresponsible scaremongering reporting.

6. Captain DaFt

Quite the dilemma

Who to believe... a bunch of tossers that disable systems and trash computers to inflate their own petty egos... or Anonymous?

It's a tough call.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think Sony is right

I own a PS3 (and I'm very happy with it) and also a PSN account. Because of that I searched and grabbed the data which was shared the first time to see if I could find my credentials in there. I didn't keep the data but the one odd thing I recall is that it had a password & e-mail address and nothing more. Therefore I was quite sure the data was falsified back then.

Now I don't recall every detail of that first released batch but I do think its very weird that this batch follows the exact same style: password followed by an e-mail address. Even though the header claims to provide "user name, password, e-mail address".

Quite frankly I'm still convinced they never released real data the first time, but it seems to me as if this batch is the exact same batch they released back then. So I can well imagine that Sony waves this away as being a fake claim.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Try googling for 9ONWmDg7x27mmxVlqWYobl2WDUgOUC

That's the main part of the first hash listed, and somebody posted it to hackforums.net back in march, asking what kind of hashes they were, and the answer suggested was phpBB.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:0W9AoiPt-7wJ:http://www.hackforums.net/printthread.php%3Ftid%3D2318003%2B9ONWmDg7x27mmxVlqWYobl2WDUgOUC&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&gbv=1&filter=0&ct=clnk

9. Great Bu

Very dissapointed

Last time PSN was hacked I got some cool free games afterwards. This time, no free games.

Standards of hacktivism seem to be falling off these days, when I were a lad you could start world war 3 with your telephone and a TV/Typewriter combo........

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like