back to article Tony Blair bod's Gmail hack teen gets 6 months

Teen hacker Junaid Hussain was sentenced to six months in a youth detention lock-up today for breaking into an email account linked to Tony Blair among other attacks. His defence barrister had attempted to pass his actions off as no worse than anything Prime Minister David Cameron or London Mayor Boris Johnson might have done …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Frightened of custody?

But not so afraid to prevent his actions.

" His defence barrister had attempted to pass his actions off as no worse than anything Prime Minister David Cameron or London Mayor Boris Johnson might have done in …"

I'd have charged him with contempt of court.

2. JDX Gold badge

Seems fair

It was seeming overly harsh BUT the fact part of it is served and he should be able to take a place at uni makes it seem reasonable. IF he ends up having uni offers retracted then I'll swing my opinion back the other way though :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tricky

The problem with Trick and a few anon twitter handles is that they are more pro-muslim than anti-establishment or anti-Orwellian society. This is very obvious from their tweets.

Once you know this then it is obvious why the targets of Blair and the anti-terror hotline were chosen. So I think the sentence should be longer due to the real terrorist helping angle.

Normally I would support the anti-establishment/corruption anon-type hackers but Trick and a few more cronies should be hung out to dry and shown what they actually are.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Tricky

It's fine to be a "terrorist" as long as you're my kind of "terrorist"

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

The IRA are back, by the way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19009272

Remember them?

(They don't like Muslims too!)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

Hell yea, lets deport him to Guantanamo!

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Boffin

Re: Re: Tricky

"Hell yea, lets deport him to Guantanamo!" No need, I'm told that in terms of physical violence the average British high-security prison is much more likely to have an impact - or two or three impacts! Besides, putting an easily-led numpty like Tricky in with hard-core Islamists like those at Gitmo would just end up making him worse. Let's just hope the terms of his eventual parole will have some restrictiosn on his use of the Internet.

4. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    WTF?

"....but there has to be an aspect of deterrence...."?

What, three months for interfering with an anti-terror hotline, no doubt because of his whacky beliefs? Maybe they're letting him off lightly just to clear the way for an extradition to the States. Or maybe it's just because - like every other one of those 1337 h4x0rs that get caught - he grassed all his mates up at the thought of a little jailtime.

5. h4rm0ny
    Mushroom

"no worse than anything Prime Minister David Cameron or London Mayor Boris Johnson might have done in their youth"

In their youth? Try now!

I'm fine with punishing hackers for their crimes, but can we punish Tony Blair for his, please?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

The catch all title hacking...

Hacking my arse, he, at best, guessed a password by using some web2.0 diarrhea site. The numpty whos email be broke into no doubt had shitty weak passwords, like a birthday or the name of the kids/world/dog.

I consider that part of the crime, lax security on the part of the "hacked" party. Give that dick 100 hours CS for not understanding the importance of a secure password when employed that high up and the "hacker" 500 hours picking dog shit up or cleaning litter up from the olympics. Should keep him occupied.

However, sending thousands of nuisance calls i consider a far more serious bit of deviant behaviour. I dont know what his solicitor did when he was a kid but i never put real peoples lives in real danger...Only my own...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The catch all title hacking...

So burglars shouldn't go to jail if the home-owner left the doors unlocked. Is that what you're stating in real-world terms?

Also: I do not want to hack your arse.

7. Jason Hindle

You can't go and hack the antichrist's email

And expect no consequences. Six months seems pretty lenient - it's lucky for him the crime was both committed and felt in the UK!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all in a name, Rose

Perhaps if his last name had been Cameron or Blair, he'd have gotten off with a lighter sentence, but picking up dog shit for six months seems pretty reasonable to me

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's all in a name, Rose

If the authorities aren't going to arrest Blair, I really don't think this kid is going to!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time

"Trick" and his accomplices knew full well what they were doing, and that it was wrong. They are involved in a Facebook Group called "Muslim Defence League" which whilst quite innocuous could very easily be a recruiting and breeding ground for extremists in the future, take a look at the Facebook group for the kind of posts on it - this shows the mentality and mental age of those involved.

10. mhenriday
    Big Brother

Considering the nature of the crimes committed by Mr Blair

and the offenses committed by this Mr Hussain and the respective consequences for each of them, I can't help wanting to simplify Martin Luther King's famous dictum to the effect that «... the arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice» to the somewhat more accurate «the arc of the moral universe is bent»....

Henri

11. TrishaD

"Hell yea, lets deport him to Guantanamo!" No need, I'm told that in terms of physical violence the average British high-security prison is much more likely to have an impact - or two or three impacts!"

Those of us sufficiently civilised NOT to consider having the shit beaten out of you to be a just punishment for an 18 yr old script kiddie will be relieved to know (from the article) that he'll be receiving six months youth custody rather than a term in a high-security prison.

Which I would consider to be sufficiently draconian a punishment for a silly teenager who needs to grow up a bit.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re:TrishaD

".....Which I would consider to be sufficiently draconian a punishment...." Well, whilst we may differ on that point, the other side of the coin is he has ruined his employment chances for a large swathe of the IT industry as he now carries a criminal record. The fact he messed with a terrorist hotline means the little moron is also going to be on the MI5 watchlist just to make sure he doesn't fall in with an even wronger crowd. Even funnier, that criminal record will even negatively affect his chances of marrying a Muslim girl from a decent family. So he's probably going to end up in some career backwater, as an IT junior admin in a school or the like, married to his Mum's first-cousin's niece from the Pakistani hills, the one with a limp and one good eye. And I bet the fool will probably blame it all on everyone but himself.

This topic is closed for new posts.