back to article Dixons: Brits to get iPad Mini, Kindle Fire for Xmas

Our generous gift of the oxygen of publicity today goes out to Dixons, which this morning forecast that Brits will be able to buy not only Amazon's Kindle Fire but also a "mystery" Apple product by Christmas. Not exactly staggering leaps of the imagination, you might reasonably think, given the flood of rumours concerning the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
    Holmes

Dixons in selling out-of-date kit shocker!

Who'da thunk it?

2. ukgnome
    FAIL

WOW

a kindle fire you say - isn't that getting a bit long in the tooth now?

Hardly cutting edge tech!

1. tmTM

Re: WOW

Indeed, and if Google get the superior Nexus tablet to the market first there won't be much of a reason to buy a Kindle Fire - unless it's priced very well.

1. Alastair Dodd 1

Nexus 7 is supposed to be delivered this month and Ebuyer say will land on the 19th!

I think thats going to be a bigger hit than the fire tbh.

2. DrXym

Even if a Fire 2 turned up I don't see any reason at all for people to prefer it over another 7" tablet such as the new Nexus. Amazon locks their device down to their store and their services. Choosing it over some other android tablet is a really bad idea.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dixons...

pls forgive them, they're not exactly on the ball.

4. Big_Ted

You got it wrong

It will be the origional Fire sold here, Amazon have a load in stock after the inicial sales and will offload them here whilst the Fire 2 will be US only.....

As for the iPad mini, sorry but unless its really cheap, ie Nexus 7 range thn I don't think it will sale as it woun't look worth too much next to a full size ipad in the store....

1. skwdenyer

Re: You got it wrong

I'd buy an iPad mini, at a similar price to a regular iPad. The form factor is valuable to me. If Apple's research says that the form factor is important to others, and that they will gain more in additional sales than they lose in those who would have bought a full-size iPad, they will be ahead.

I can't put my iPad 1 in my pocket. I won't buy an iPad 3 because it is too big, I won't buy an iPod touch / iPhone because it is too small, and the apps I need aren't available on Android.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Erm... all the iPads are (almost) exactly the same size?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Big_Ted. Have Amazon announced that Fire 2 is US-only or is this just the speculation of someone who places a negative slant on everything he hears or sees?

5. Mike Judge
    FAIL

Wow, Nexus7 fallout...

It's not just Microsoft announcing vapor-ware, Apple and Amazon have been forced to now too...

Hey everyone, why not wait for our offering... really, it does exist and it always was on the plan.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow, Nexus7 fallout...

What have Apple and Amazon announced?

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Law

*shrugs*

All seems fairly pointless now the Nexus 7 is out this month.

8. Richard Jones 1

OK Its a Slow Day

OK I'll bite as it has been a slow, damp day in hades.

What use would any of these things have? OK the iWhatever is supposed to make even more money for the company that already has too much money.

The rest are trying to get a bit of the free dosh as they think it is only fair.

What mystifies me is what does anyone use the things for except to show off? An empty box is almost that good, its lighter, costs less and you can put useful stuff into an empty box.

Don't tell me I could sit in front of a 23inch PC screen waving the silly toy about saying it is nearly as big, or sit in front of a 42inch TV thinking it is almost as big and useful as the TV. Trying to use it while driving is plain stupid, so, what use would a thing like these mini screens be?

9. Jason Hall

"but also a "mystery" Apple product by Christmas. Not exactly staggering leaps of the imagination, you might reasonably think, given the flood of rumours concerning the ' …"

You may very well be right about the smaller form factor iPad, but isn't it *much* more likely to be the new iPhone - since *that* is definitely on it's way - rather than the 'rumoured' teeny-iPad?

10. GeorgeTuk

That will be in The Metro tomorrow

....and people will be repeatedly asking me whats best because of a drip of irrelevant tech news.

Thanks Dixons you have spoiled my day!

11. ifraser

They should really be shipping the Blackberry Playbok since it outperforms most of the other tablets.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like