1. Chris Mellor 1

Apple iGlasses

What form would an Apple version of Google Glasses take; an iPhone implemented inside spectacle frame arms? Could you stick all the iPhone's main functionality in there, including processor, DRAM, NAND flash, WiFi/Bluetooth radio, accelerometer, GPS, touch input, Siri voice input, compass, cell phone, etc?

1. Bob726

Re: Apple iGlasses

In the future, iGlasses will show you a virtual world that has been completed created by Apple. You won't be able to take them off -it will be like being stuck in the Matrix.

2. adnim

The really big deal clincher for me

the thing that would certainly make me buy a pair is the promise of peripheral vision advertising.

Subliminal ads coming in from the sides as you look at the main point of interest in your field of view would be awesome. I could end up buying loads of stuff I don't want or need and never understand why.

Will the the lenses go opaque when viewing a Samsung device and rose tinted when viewing Apple procucts?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The really big deal clincher for me

"Will the the lenses go opaque when viewing a Samsung device and rose tinted when viewing Apple procucts?"

Applites already wear these!

3. Simon B
    FAIL

'What the patent describes is a way of, for example, colour-biasing the peripheral field of view so that it dynamically matches the predominant colour of the displayed image or movie'

How does this patent stand up to what researchers at MIT's Media Lab's have exactly done already, but using it for TV as apposed to glasses?

Reg article

http://www.reghardware.com/2012/06/25/boffins_program_peripheral_vision_for_ultra_tv_immersion/

All seems a bit the same to me, it's about the showing of blurry colours in periperal vision. I don't know much about patents but Prior art surely? all be it on a big screen as apposed to little screen strapped to your head! (glasses)

1. Tom Sparrow

Pretty much what I thought - it's Philips ambilight on a pair of glasses.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

you mean like the philips ambilight TV's that have been around for a couple of years at least now?

1. toadwarrior
        Trollface

A couple yeas is still 2 years ago? The patent was filed in 2006 so Phillips releasing something after the patent filed date doesn't mean much other than maybe Phillips copied their idea.

1. Andrew James

Pretty sure i remember the ambilight being around a lot more than two years ago... more like 10

According to wikipedia it was developed by philips in 2002, and launched in 2004.

3. toadwarrior
      Facepalm

The Apple patent says filed in 2006. Your link is from 2012. How's that prior art?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

will they ever really happen?

I doubt they'll ever really be made. I suspect this is more about the patent as usual.... there will be some silly little details in there that apple think arent covered anywhere else which they'll then use to try to stop everyone else from ever developing anything vaguely similar.

Google Glasses for example, wonder if Google have any patent already or license thats going to allow them to use audio, if not then I can imagine a headline along the lines of "Apple lawyers demand immediate ban on Google Glasses!" in a years time based on this patent saying " "[T]he HMDs … can also be equipped with an audio system … "

5. Chris 171
    Boffin

On your own itards...

See title...

6. Peter 48
    Devil

One thing is certain

if Apple do ever release iGlasses, they will be considered "revolutionary" by the braying masses and will obviously come with thick black rims for all those super trendy wanna-be baristas out there.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

W O W, will Apple ever stop stealing others ideas?

Just wait for the lawsuits!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

How is this Apple stealing ideas? The patent was filed in October 2006 (and granted now)

Was there something similar then?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Was there something similar then?

Philips ambilight... developed circa 2002.... patented 2004

1. popper

Re: Was there something similar then? YES

Chris, you really should try harder than just mention and provide Google glass pic, there's the earlier 2009/2010 Motorola Kopin Golden-i headmounted computer system that Google got the idea from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uezGoh_oxss&feature=player_embedded,

but OC there's more to choose OC....

its not even hard to find prior art if your an old Mac emulator user (older than many I whatever users have been alive never mind since i something existed ) ) on the AMIGA platform that ran the mac OS faster that the real mac and the AMIGA hardware devs that that later made their licensed faster PPC mac HW upgrade cards that were also faster that the original hence Steve killed them off after his return :)

for example the ,mans is Dr. Jonathan D. Waldern, the device is the headset with 'VIRTUALITY' embossed across it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtuality_(gaming)

and here's some of his papers

http://www.ic-at.org/papers/list.html

and some of his patents

http://www.patentmaps.com/inventor/Jonathan_D_Waldern_1.html

theres plenty to invalidate most apple patents if you look

2. Polkyb

yes

As a matter of fact, VR headsets have been around since at least the late 80's/early 90's which are most *definately* "Methods and apparatus, including computer program products, implementing and using techniques for projecting a source image in a head-mounted display apparatus for a user."

So yes, even if it was filed 6 years ago, that is still claiming existing tech as their own, but in an all encompassing patent that is vague enough to stop pretty much *any* development in the goggles area by anybody except apple.

And don't get me started on the 604 patent which claims pretty much all search engines as infringing it, even those created before it was filed!

Somebody needs to kick the US patents office up the back side for granting these completely uninnovative pieces of paper which lawyers can so readily turn into pay cheques.

1. toadwarrior

Re: yes

What search engines were doing something similar prior to 2000? Given that Google was only just taking off and not even getting some of their own big patents (like page rank) until 2003.

So feel free to tell us.

1. Polkyb

Re: yes

I'm now amused. You think Google was the first search engine to hit the internet?

How about Webcrawler in 1994 or Yahoo! in 1995 or Ask Jeeves in 1996 or MSN in 1998?

FYI, Pagerank was used in Google search from day one (in 1998) and is patented to Stanford University, not Google.

3. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

"How is this Apple stealing ideas? The patent was filed in October 2006 (and granted now)

Was there something similar then?"

Good ole Applite. Responds with a load of rubbish, because they're so wrapped up in their "i" device to read information which has been available for YEARS!

Yet another demonstration of how ill-considered the opinions of Applites are. Thank you for proving the point.

8. stu 4
    Gimp

prior art

I've done it already!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqKC_HgARRI

stu

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WOW the Yank Patent office must be manned by monkeys.

They seem to believe that Apple invert everything.

Retards.

1. LinkOfHyrule
      Joke

Well not quite everything, but they did invent the wheel - it's a rounded rectangle with reduced straight bits essentially!

1. TeeCee Gold badge

You think you're funny, but according the the word of The Lord Jobs, when he preached the parable of Apple's new HQ design; "...It's a circle and so it's curved all the way around...".

10. Richard Hodgson
    Coat

Prototype Apple glasses found in bar!

http://i.imgur.com/d5JNL.jpg

I'll get my coat...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What is item 300?

Are Apple claiming a patent on free air? Maybe it points to the brain of the average iDroolOverShiny user?

12. Bush_rat
    Devil

Reg readers, unite!

Let's patent something integral to apple that they haven't thought about yet, like using the letters O and S, then we'll either sue them into oblivion or ask for,

1 MILLION DOLLARS!

1. unlocking phones
      Thumb Up

Re: Reg readers, unite!

If we really can prove that someone has stolen our idea, we can sue them. I admit Mr. Bush_rat

13. unlocking phones

Hi, I read all replies here. Very useful thanks.

14. Chevalier

The more I hear about anything from Apple, the more I'm happy I've refused to use their products.

15. DidierAubin87

LOL I like your idea, I wonder when it will become true :D I need it

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon