back to article Why I love Microsoft’s vapourware tablet

When I first got into this journalism lark in the late 1980s, the exploding nature of the personal computer market would force the hand of IT companies to reveal products far in advance of their intended launch date. Such was the race to give the appearance of being cutting-edge, they sometimes found themselves announcing …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. eSeM

You Were Right .....

Utter bollocks ... ;-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Occasionally my new iPad has moments when it struggles to connect to the Internet and a reboot sorts it out. Now is that a crash or a glitch?

2. KnucklesTheDog
      FAIL

Re: You Were Right .....

Yes alluding (if that's a strong enough term for stating it in the headline) to the product being vapourware and then showing a video of an actual device in use is quite a strange choice...

Oh yes and those "manufacturing mock ups" will have been floating around the software teams in probably quite large numbers in various revisions for months. You wouldn't expect the average consumer to know that - but if you're writing an article about it, perhaps some research into the workings of the mobile device industry would have been prudent?

Here's a hint: they don't finish the software (or hardware) the day before they hit the shops, but it is demonstrable at least in some form, quite some time before that. Pretty much explains everything written.

2. JDX Gold badge

The Crash

meaningless, even iPads have done this at launch IIRC.

A price of £1k would be a massive deal-breaker though. Compete directly with the iPad perhaps but costing more is crazy... unless that's for the Intel version only and the ARM one will be considerably cheaper. After all an Intel tablet kind of IS like an ultrabook only even smaller and smaller means pricier.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Crash

...please, post where an iPad has crashed on stage.

1. Irongut

So you missed the launch where Jobs had to tell the journos to turn off their laptops and phones because the iPad's WiFi wouldn't work otherwise? I think it was the iPad 2.

1. Get the puck outa here

That's not a BSOD. That's network overload...

2. Volker Hett

I thought it was the WiFi in the Moscone Center which couldn't handle all the devices trying to connect.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"So you missed the launch where Jobs had to tell the journos to turn off their laptops and phones because the iPad's WiFi wouldn't work otherwise? I think it was the iPad 2."

You think wrong. It was the iPhone 4 that was being demoed, and the issue you are referring to was that there were 500+ wifi networks in operation in the convention centre. The iPhone did not crash.

1. Mephistro
            Joke

" there were 500+ wifi networks in operation in the convention centre. The iPhone did not crash."

Hmmm... if the other people using the wifi were managing to connect, albeit slowly, while the iPhone 4 couldn't...

It was just that Steve was holding it wrong!

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Hmmm... if the other people using the wifi were managing to connect, albeit slowly, while the iPhone 4 couldn't..."

...how do you know that every other person was able to connect ok..? Note the figure quoted was *networks*, not devices. That's a lot of spectrum being saturated - I would expect quite a lot of problems getting on.

1. Mephistro

Re: The Crash (@ Fitz)

I reckoned the number of networks cited as an exaggeration. Obviously, 500 WIFI networks in the same building would not only prevent everyone from connecting, but also microwave them to death ;-).

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

Re: The Crash (@ Fitz)

"I reckoned the number of networks cited as an exaggeration. Obviously, 500 WIFI networks in the same building would not only prevent everyone from connecting, but also microwave them to death ;-)."

There are 5000 seats at WWDC. I don't think it's unreasonable that 10% of attendees use a MiFi or equivalent.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A price of £2000 would be an even bigger deal breaker.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

A bloke I spoke to in the pub said it would be £3000 without the keyboard - obviously surface is a total fail.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Thumb Down

Troll

3. Steve Todd
      Stop

There seems to be some confusion going on here. There are TWO versions of the surface tablet. One is a Tegra 3 powered WinRT machine, which is expected to sell for the same kind of money as an iPad. Being Arm powered it won't be able to run any of the back catalog of Windows code.

The second tablet is Core i5 powered and is likely to be priced like an Ultra Book. It is large and more powerful than its sibling, and WILL be able to run old code, allong with providing a digitiser pen. it will however be unlikely to run for more than 5 hours on battery as its only got 40w hours of capacity.

Both are of course still vapourware and subject to change.

1. Malcolm 1

Exising Ultrabooks (eg the Toshiba z835-p330) with previous generation i5 processors (32nm vs 22nm) and comparable battery capacities supposedly last 7 hours plus in real life, so 5 hours would be a little disappointing.

2. Euripides Pants
        Thumb Down

Re: confusion

Actually there are ZERO versions of the Surface tablet outside of the Microsoft Chum Eating Disco-Moron Research Center.

4. h4rm0ny

The "ultrabook price" is for the x86 version and that basically is an ultrabook but with all the touchscreen, stylus stuff and the ability to turn into a pure tablet. The ARM version is supposed to be price competitive with other tablets, e.g. an iPad. Though again, it has the keyboard, etc. so it's not exactly an iPad equivalent.

1. Richard Plinston

> it has the keyboard, etc. so it's not exactly an iPad equivalent.

It appears that it will have a choice of keyboards, a 3mm touch or a 5mm moving key. This implies that they will be options, or accessories, and not in the basic price of the units. This means that they will be priced at (iPad3 price) + keyboard for RT or (Ultrabook price) + keyboard for Pro.

iPads can have keyboards. Bluetooth ones allow the unit to be landscape or portrait, and for the keyboard to be used more conveniently than locked to the screen unit.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7-20091329-243/keyboarding-your-ipad-best-keyboard-cases/

5. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Sure Apple has had a couple of crashes with pre-release versions of OSX during keynotes (WWDC 2006 I think?) and swiftly swapped screens over, but can't remember any iPad crashes.

There's a clear difference in preparedness. Microsoft's stage crashes tend to drag on for a long time until the point hilarity ensues ... they're just not ready for them.

This one with Bill Gates and Conan O'Brien is my favourite: http://www.break.com/index/gatesconan.html

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Just so people are clear, the Surface RT device did not crash, it was the Netflix app that crashed. Sure he could have terminated the Netflix and restarted it but if it were me I'd have done he same and switched out the unit rather than risk the app failing again because of something specific to that unit.

Oh and by the way, or vapourware, Microsoft sure seems to have made enough of them already. This will enter production. Two things about the timing: 1. It makes people stop and re-think about that iPad/Ultrabook purchase. 2. It gives OEMs fair notice to up their game if they want a slice of the action.

Car manufacturers have long been showing off cars up to a year before they enter production.

3. K
    Megaphone

No one's going to be able to buy for half a year.

Holy shit... have you just smelt something strange that woke you up??

Every manufacturer does this, look at all though nice new tablets promised back in the trade shows in January / Feb, half of them are not even available yet!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No one's going to be able to buy for half a year.

Everyone except the market leader in tablets, Apple.

1. Fibbles

Apple don't make announcements about their new tablet 6 months before, they just get their suppliers to 'leak' details. That way if the specs change or there is a delay in manufacturing they have an element of plausible deniability and the fanboys can go on thinking that the company is perfect in every way.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge
          Happy

@Fibbles on 'leaks'

Yep, that's the smart thing to do.

Never announce something until it's in a container on the way to the shops or sat in your warehouse.

Then pretend to be really surprised when somebody 'accidentally' leaks the details while you're still developing it.

All the exposure of a premature launch, none of the risks of the cries of "vapourware!!!"

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: @Fibbles on 'leaks'

Go on then, why the downvotes?

2. Mikel
      Windows

Most of the tablets promised at CES 2009 are also not available yet. Must be some minor import holdup and they'll be along any day.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They announce a tablet, them someone produces one that has a more upto date spec so they have to redo what they have to keep up.

Hence the delays.

4. dotdavid
    Thumb Up

"About the same as an ultrabook"

I must admit that when I heard that was the moment I figured Surface would never work.

Ultrabooks have been a stunning sales success... for Apple.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: "About the same as an ultrabook"

As explained above in answer to my question, that's only for the x86 version which basically IS an ultrabook. If an ARM version is the same cost as an iPad I'm interested to get one (if I didn't already have an iPad 2).

5. Tom 38
    Thumb Up

"fuck off" as an adjective - +1

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Alistair Dabbs

Well that was another total waste of 5 minutes that I'll never get back,

Completely pointless load of shite.

I'm sure this site is turning in to a bunch of bickering old ladies that moan just for the sake of something to say..

1. Aaron Em

Sure is

Ever since they introduced comments, years and years ago. You're just now noticing?

Upvoted nonetheless for calling Dabbs crap. That can't happen often enough.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Sure is

"Upvoted nonetheless for calling Dabbs crap. That can't happen often enough."

If Dabbs is crap, what the hell were you doing reading this article? I've stopped reading the 'Open and Shut' stuff from that ex Ubuntu guy, because most of it is rubbish. Although he's written a few good ones. I thought the first article I noticed by Dabbs was utterly rubbish, but I've enjoyed his last few, including this one.

1. Vic

Re: Sure is

> I've stopped reading the 'Open and Shut' stuff from that ex Ubuntu guy, because most of it is rubbish.

Yep. Me too.

> Although he's written a few good ones

I'll have to take your word for that.

Vic.

2. jubtastic1

Re: Open and Shut

Over the last few months he's posted some interesting articles but I'd skip the current one. Would be good to get ratings on the front page for triage.

3. Aaron Em

"What the hell were you doing reading this article?"

I haven't quite figured out that seeing "Something for the weekend, Sir" in my RSS reader translates to "Avoid this article; the writer isn't worth the paper he's printed on". I should probably write a Greasemonkey script or something.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I want the three seconds it took me to read your whining back. To whom do I send the invoice?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dear toss pot.

My loss was more,, I'll tell you where you can shove your invoice when I get my minutes back!

3. Darryl
      FAIL

Worst ones are AC's who moan just for the sake of something to say in the comments

4. jonmorris

I actually thought that Microsoft rushed this event because it was about to be upstaged by someone else in the coming weeks.

It's quite a clever offering and has got the tech world talking, simply because it's something else to write about that isn't iOS, Android etc, but as it isn't out for some time.

Microsoft is taking a big risk. With the geeks like us soon forgetting about it, a lot of hard work will have been potentially wasted by the time it does come out - if indeed it does.

Sure, it now means that Microsoft can claim to have been first (and the cover/keyboard idea is something I bet Apple wishes it had done) but Joe Public probably don't know sod all about Windows 8 as there is no advertising of the OS yet, let alone the Surface.

I think it was announced too far in advance and for no real gain (other than to keep us Brits up late following the event, and to annoy hardware makers that now see Microsoft as a threat to their own business), which is why I return to my previous assumption that Microsoft felt they had to show the Surface at short notice for another reason we'll come to realise in the near future.

I wonder if someone like Samsung had come up with something like this for its new tablet with a iPad 3-style resolution? Or maybe Google has something like this for one of its new Nexus tablets (or maybe the two are one and the same!)?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@jonmorriss

'Apple wished they had done the cover keyboard'?

It would already have been done by them if it had been a good idea, but detracts from what Apple thinks A tablet should be.

A tablet with a keyboard is a laptop, there are plenty out there.

A tablet that needs a keyboard is a fail.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: @jonmorriss

"A tablet that needs a keyboard is a fail."

I'm afraid that's utter bollocks.

I think my iPad is brilliant, but typing anything more than about 2 paragraphs on it is extremely annoying. Even just typing in url's is irksome. I therefore don't type on it much. That's OK, it's not what I bought it for. But it would be nice to have a keyoard, in the odd meeting or so I can send off a quick email. I've not seen a decent looking cover/keyboard for less than about £80, so I've not bothered. It's not a must-have, but the option would be nice. A tablet needs a keyboard if you want to type into it. You could then say, just get a laptop, but the advantage of a tablet is for using it on the sofa/train. It's a matter of making choices available. Some people want a device for a bit of light laptop work, as well as the kind of media consumption that tablets are great at.

Personally I think a stylus would be more useful. Handwriting recognition is much nicer than pecking at an onscreen keyboard, as well as much easier (and more natural) to do when you're holding the tablet in one hand. You also gain the ability to sketch. I don't know how well the digitiser pens work with capacative touch screens, but Samsung seem to have manged it with the Galaxy Note. I wish Apple had gone that route with the iPad. A decent, well-implemented stylus is what will have me jumping ship from iOS to whatever platform can do it.

2. Chet Mannly

Re: @jonmorriss

"A tablet that needs a keyboard is a fail."

Where does it say the surface tablet *needs* a keyboard?

That's like saying the ipad is a fail because Apple make bluetooth keyboards that you can hook up to it.

Not saying this will be a world beater or anything, and no one can because it isn't being made yet, so criticising it like that is like criticising the ipad 5 - its impossible to criticise as it doesn't really exist yet - it was the whole point of the article.

But I guess that's never stopped a rabid Apple fanboi in the past from launching into an anti-MS rant...

5. Alistair Dabbs

"Another"? I think I can see the problem here: you don't enjoy reading the column but you read it every week.

6. Volker Hett

Thanks for the additional 30 seconds

so I could answer your comment while pointlessly waiting for the F1 qualification :-)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Price has already been "announced" as less than £1000, so what exactly was the point of this waste of space article, other than to whinge about redundant stuff?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Less than £1000

Which means £999.99

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Less than £1000

"Which means £999.99"

...in today's money.

8. TobyW7
    Thumb Up

Radical

Who cares when they'll release the damn thing - it's too little too late!

Sweet article!

9. Pheo

I don't think you should buy a Macbook, simply because you've dedicated a whole other article to complaining that Apple's removing everything.

Go buy yourself a nice brick instead ;)

1. Alistair Dabbs

True, I am not 100% satisfied by anything. Are you?

10. Thomas 18
    Thumb Up

"Microsoft was always a much better hardware manufacturer than software developer."

too true, the IntelliMouse Explorer 1.0 was the first expensive peripheral I had for my PC as a young lad (1999) and it was worth every penny (~£50 I think). Lasted me many years.

1. Thecowking
      Thumb Up

Re: "Microsoft was always a much better hardware manufacturer than software developer."

Intellimouse Explorer 1.0, lasted through Diablo 2, World of Warcraft and still putting in solid service in Diablo 3.

One hell of a mouse.

11. Tom Chiverton 1
    Linux

The Air runs Linux ?

1. The BigYin

Almost

It runs a Unix

1. Jason McLaughlin

Re: Almost

And could run a Linux, as well as Windows and the aforementioned Mac OSX...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Almost

Surface Pro model can run any OS also - remember it's a PC in tablet form with an Intel Core i5.

(And it'll probably take the ROM cookers over at XDA about a month before they've cooked up Android for the Surface RT model).

2. M Gale

Macs are now basically pretty-looking PCs. So yes, they can run Linux.

And sorry Dabbs, but your picture really reminds me of the various Ernest videos from way back when. Maybe it's the lighting or camera angle.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092974/ <- see what I mean?

3. Mikel
      Happy

People do run Linux and BSD on them.

I've seen it in the field.

4. Volker Hett

Linus T.s MBA does

as does the one from Dirk Hohndel, who provided me with some tricks and tips so mine runs Linux, too.

12. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Are they too late?

In about 2007/8 I bought an HP tablet with swivelly keyboard, for £650. The slates were all well over £1,000 at the time. Vista wasn't too bad for touch. The handwriting recognition was very good, and you had one of the Wacom styluses (styli?) for precision. As well as a track-pad, keyboard and USB for a mouse. Windows isn't as bad as some people say on touch (especially with the stylus to fall back on). Just a bit of work to make scrollbars and buttons bigger would have worked wonders. It could have gone from geeky toy, to useful work tool for very little effort from MS and HP - although not mainstream.

If MS hadn't dropped the ball on their mobile side 5 years ago, they could have had a scaled-up version of their current Win Pho with a few more years of polish on it ages ago, or a cut-down version of Win7 for tablets.

But they didn't. And Apple built the iPad. For which I sold my Vista tablet. I miss my stylus, and sometimes even the keyboard. I even miss Flash, once or twice a month.

The problem as I see it is that the WinRT tablet is unlikely to be any better than an iPad. I like WinPho 7, I got the Lumia 710 as it's a third the cost of the cheapest iPhone, with better hardware. And I think it's a better phone but worse computer. And I'm in a minority, I've got half the downvotes I've ever had commenting on El Reg from being nice about WinPho 7. Not many people have bought it, so there's not much love for it that's going to translate into sales.

What might attract me from my iPad 3 is the Intel one. Full fat Win8 with a lovely stylus and a nice keyboard cover. But that's going to weigh half as much again, have shorter battery life and probably cost considerably more. and no lovely screen. The iPad 3 screen really is amazingly nice.

Had they brought this out 1-2 years ago then they'd have been looking good. Even had they been in time to battle the iPad 3, I might have been interested. But the ARM version is unlikely to be much better than an iPad 2, so is 18 months late to market.

Can the Intel one sell well to IT departments, where they've got group policies and proper management tools? Or have the execs and sales droids already forced them to go the iPad route? Can't see the Intel one selling well to consumers. That looks more like a nice geek-toy to me, and maybe business tool. And I've already given Apple my soul, for an iPad 3...

1. Danny 14

Re: Are they too late?

It will sell if it works properly on a domain. Ipads are useful for us, not so much in the domain environment where real things such as printing occurs (no, dropbox is not an alternative).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yup I agree with the domain bit. we're currently having to install Anyconect, Filebrowser and an Office App whose name escapes me at the moment (it's friday afternoon) to get people access to their network shares...

1. Volker Hett

With Asus EP121s we just had to install Windows 7 Professional, Home does not work with our 2008R2 domains.

1. Alister

As I recall, none of the Home editions of any Microsoft OS back to XP will join an Active directory domain. That's kind of the point of why they're Home editions - you have to pay more for Pro for the domain connectivity.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Are they too late? - Battery

Why oh why is everyone assuming the battery life will be crap? Have you looked at what is possible even using current technology? We already have Ultrabooks that can last up to 8 hours (Samsung series 9). There is no reason to think the battery will fall short. Given the amount of thought Microsoft clearly has invested in the Surface, do people really think they'd go with a crappy battery life? Of course not. They'll either source the best battery cells or make damn sure that the Windows 8 OS is capable of conserving as much power as possible when it is used on such a device. Serisously folks, just think about it. Three years of military grade secret development and they just slap in a run of he mill power pack? Don't think so. I'll bet it'll have battery life parity with the iPad or Galaxy Tab.

13. Kimo
    Meh

It exists...

Pegatron has been announced as the manufacturer. The Surface RT specs look surprisingly close to their current lineup of Tegra 3 tablets, and Asus even demo'ed their own Windows RT and Windows 8 tablets recently. Sure, the case is new and the keyboard on the Tegra model is a novelty, but the hardware in this case isn't a boardroom fantasy: it is a high-end version of current technology (perhaps a bit dated once it hits shelves) made to showcase Windows 8's two versions.

1. Tom 35

Re: It exists...

"(perhaps a bit dated once it hits shelves) "

I thought you just said it exists?

1. Kimo

"Exists" =/= "On store shelves." The hardware that was showed off can be had now running either Android or Windows. The missing piece is Windows 8/RT.

1. Tom 35

"Exists" =/= Stuff that's almost the same hardware running a different OS.

It's not in a warehouse, it's not coming off the line in China as I type this. The OS is not even finished!

There is a prototype / mock-up, running beta software. It's not the same "it" that will show up on store shelves.

14. IHateWearingATie
    Thumb Up

I'm intruiged by it...

... as I've held off buying an iPad as it won't replace all of the things my home laptop currently does - most, but not all.

A nice tablet running Win8 may just do that, if the price is right.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm intruiged by it...

Except that if you hate Windows 8 then you'll not like this tablet. The addition of the traditional desktop is more of a backward compatibility options.

If you get the ARM version you're stuck with Windows RT as nothing else will be allowed to boot (although I'm sure someone will crack this ).

1. Darryl

Re: I'm intruiged by it...

@AC - I admit, I'm not sold on Win 8 for the desktop, but it IS an OS designed for a touch interface. Should be pretty OK on a Surface.

And all ARM tablets are stuck with the OS that they shipped with. iPad only runs iOS, Transformer only runs Android. (Well, without hacking anyways)

1. M Gale

"all ARM tablets are stuck with the OS that they shipped with."

FYI, Asus have released an official bootloader unlocker tool. You assume any risk involved, but isn't that the case with any alternative OS install?

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Re: "all ARM tablets are stuck with the OS that they shipped with."

It's one thing to have some simple locking to stop you messing around, but the secure boot in Windows 8 is a step too far.

It requires Linux vendors to buy code signing certificates to get their OS to boot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8#Secure_boot

15. jason 7
    Meh

Hmmmm tough call.

Okay so for sitting on the coffee table and spending most of its operational time looking up stuff to confirm arguments/facts over stuff watched on TV or to look up where we saw 'that actor' before on IMDB we have the choice of -

A Windows 8 Tablet at £600+

or

A dual core IPS Android tablet for £200.

Yeah.....

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Hmmmm tough call.

Given an iPad costs £400 where do you get £600 from?

And if you've ever used an iPAd it's far superior to a £200 android tablet.

1. jason 7

But why would I want to spend more than £200 for the usage I mentioned above?

You see a lot of people hardly use 20% of the functionality so why spend more for just looking up the odd thing now and then?

2. P. Lee

£200 for MS Office?

Would you bother buying a windows pad without it?

16. uhuznaa
    FAIL

What's the opposite of "synergy"?

Because MS is demonstrating exactly this. There's "Surface", an ARM-based tablet that is very similar to the iPad: Halfway affordable, light, long-running, Appstore-only apps. Just that it will run *only* Metro-only Apps for Windows 8 compiled for ARM, of which exactly none exists right now. Hard to see why it should fare better than WP7 with smartphones.

Then there's "Surface Pro", an Intel-based low-end Ultrabook with an optional awkward keyboard and a display angle you can't adjust, making a hot and short running, heavy, expensive tablet PC into a laptop you won't be able to use on your lap. It will also run every old Windows application on a 11.6" screen with 1920 x 1080 pixels, which will mean the keyboard, trackpad, digitizer and stylus aren't just nice options -- they are there for a reason. How this thing should be much more successful than the bad old Tablet PCs I don't know.

So each of these devices lacks something important that the other has in scores: Surface is a great tablet with no apps and Surface pro has all the apps and compatibility without being an usable tablet or even an Ultrabook.

MS should have named them "!Synergy".

1. Barry Dingle

Re: What's the opposite of "synergy"?

May I propose: "clusterfaced".

17. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Problem is marketing

When it comes to marketing then Microsoft still has a lot to learn IMO. And that shouldn't come as a surprise either because we're talking about a company which used to dominate the market. But now we're long past the era where "Whatever Microsoft says goes".

Which I think is the main problem.

Just look at the recent announcements regarding the Windows Phone. Many people bought the device because they were under the impression that the smartphone would at least be supported for a long period, just like MS is doing with their OS environments.

Granted; Windows Mobile 6.5 set a wrong example, but taken into context all the signs around WP7 (specific hardware requirements, specific build requirements, etc) made it look as if MS itself wasn't taken their actions around WM6.5 lightly and were determined to come up with a longer lasting and more mature environment.

And now we're almost 1.5 years away and suddenly a new platform (WP8) has been announced. Nothing wrong there perse; but leaving the current userbase in the dark about the future of the current platform isn't exactly smart marketing. And insinuating that the current environment won't get any updates or enhancements apart from a visual change to make it look like the new one wasn't that smart either IMO.

Note that I'm saying insinuating, not stating. Fact is we don't know for sure what is going to happen to the current platform. But despite that many WP7 users are getting a very bad feeling about these developments, right up to the point that some are in the process of selling their WP7 device right now (not making this up, and no; I'm not talking about myself).

As such my conclusion: Microsoft needs to brush up their marketing skills, esp. when it comes to dealing with current customers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Problem is marketing

You know, I never thought of that... but really it's true, when it comes to marketing they really don't have a clue (one exception, below). In the past Microsoft has always had the lever of the desktop monopoly to use in conquering adjacent markets, mixed in with a variable dose of FUD and the occasional underhanded behaviour.

The difference is that these days it's very easy for the consumer to go somewhere else - online services and free mobiles on contract.

Although Xbox has not made them money, that is the one area where the "bad old Microsoft" tricks have not been pulled and the product has been sold against established competitors in a fair fight. Let's hope there will be more of that from MS, and less of the bad old ways.

1. Paul Shirley

@ac

"In the past Microsoft has always had the lever of the desktop monopoly to use in conquering adjacent markets"

That's the only sort of marketing Microsoft know. The Metro/Win8 mess is Microsoft disrupting their desktop business to serve the needs of marketing mobile,tablet and embedded devices. Instead of building new product and new marketing they simply pervert the existing monopoly so it can carry on as normal as a coercive marketing tool. It seems there's no limit to how much they'll screw over desktop users along the way.

BTW XBox had one major value to PC users: it forced game writers to use DX9. That largely defused their Vista/Win7 strategy of hooking gamers into updates by not upgrading XP beyond DX9. There are only a handful of games that won't run on XP, giving little pressure to upgrade for most gamers.

2. fiddley
      Angel

Re: Problem is marketing

Thanks for speakling on behalf of all us WP7 users. I must be the only one who thinks it's been too long for WP8 announcement and they should be much farther down the road with it. It's been 1.5 years and we're only now getting a sneak peak!! WTF!

What I can't get my head around is why Microsoft are such bastards that they are the only company to lock users of downlevel clients out of all the juicy new features because of hardware restrictions.

Wait, what... http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/06/ios6-feature-chart.png ... oh.

1. ThomH

Re: Problem is marketing (@fiddley)

Every iOS device released so far has enjoyed at least one new major OS release. Every device manufactured in the last two years is compatible with its 6.

WP7 phones continue to be manufactured now, but not one of them will ever receive the major OS update expected this year.

Are you actually incapable of seeing why the latter deal is significantly worse than the former?

1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Which is basically because switching from the WinCE kernel to the full blown Windows kernel obviously meant that WP8 wouldn't run too well. So a multicore CPU is needed.

I feel sorry for the Lumia 900 users who just bought a phone only to find out their phone can't run WP8.

2. BrownishMonstr

But apple leave out updates that are hardware specific. WP 7 users will get 7.8, updates from 8 that aren't hardware specific. Don't be sayin' that they're only getting a new start screen. We don't really know the full feature list yet, do we?

3. Chet Mannly

"Every device manufactured in the last two years is compatible with its 6"

Except Siri is very picky isn't she? OS updates are one thing, but you aren't getting all the features of the new OS, which kinda defeats the purpose...

The MS/Lumia situation is sucky I agree, but iOS is no utopia. Sure you can say that's based on hardware restrictions, but isn't that the WP7 situation too?

18. Robert Halloran
    Megaphone

Pre-emptive strike

The announcement was THIS week because Google I/O is NEXT week, where they're expected to announce their own Android tablet ("Google Nexus 7"?) which obviously couldn't go unanswered by The Beast of Redmond, even if the answer was "We'll get back to you on that".

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: Pre-emptive strike

I think you're right but surely MS must realise that pre-emotive striking does not work in public relations. People remember the last thing they hear, not the first. By announcing early to beat Google, Microsoft is effectively positioning Surface as the first performer at Eurovision.

1. Paul Shirley

@Alistair: it doesn't work if your new shiny won't arrive in the same year as the competition, no-one waits more than a few weeks to widen their choice of new toy. So of course Microsoft had to fall back on making theirs so incredibly shiny it might buy a few months. So shiny punters won't notice the deception, the good one is too expensive, the cheap one can't do the things they're talking up.

What a pity the Nexus tablets are already on the container ships, ready for launch next week ;)

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

The announcement might have been this week because many people's take on Win8 preview was "On what hardware does this touch-happy Metro + Classic desktop mash up make any sense?" and MS felt they had to try and answer the question.

Is my theory.

19. This post has been deleted by its author

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's how I'll love Microsoft's vapourware tablet

Microsoft will give me one free of charge as they did with my windows phone.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

By going down the RT / 8 route they've shot themselves in the foot. They are hoping (and praying) that Developers will simply port their older applications to some form of Metro application, so they can eventually drop the Desktop side of things altogether, which is just crazy and won't happen in a million years. The RT / 8 thing will just confuse the public who may have games or other bits of software that they would rather keep using, which they will eventually find out to their annoyance they can't run on that Windows RT tablet.

I think Metro has some really good features and ideas, but after using the release preview since it came out it still feels like the Desktop aspect has just been tacked on as an afterthought. Apple have the right approach in their strategy. They are keeping iOS and OS X as two separate entities, but in the background with each release of OS X more iOS look and feel is creeping in there, but with the trackpad and it's gestures if Apple turned around tomorrow and said you can now use your iOS apps on OS X there wouldn't be much of a issue in achieving it due to the way they've built the two OSes to have the same core, but kept the GUI totally seperate - one for touch - one for keyboard and mouse

This was the perfect opportunity for Microsoft to have Microsoft Metro on Phones and Tablets and continued with a Desktop only version of Windows 8. Instead they've just dumped Metro UI on top of Windows 7 and it is awful. I've still got the Release Preview on a netbook and its annoying because it feels like it was written entirely for a tablet and the Desktop is an afterthought.

22. Russ Tarbox
    Trollface

You've lost a bit of weight since 2002

And maybe a little hair too.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: You've lost a bit of weight since 2002

In fact, I have lost several little hairs.

23. Danny 5
    Thumb Up

lol!

You know what, i like their new toy too (not going to buy it though).

It makes me realize i'm no better then the average fanboi really. If it says Microsoft on the box, i'm likely going to like it.

That however does not mean i'll relent from berating fanbois, or Apple in general.

24. Steve W 1

Two versions of Windows.

Sometimes I think that the glitchy demonstration was designed to distract everyone from the real issues.

2012 is the 10th anniversary of Windows unification. Before that, there was Windows, Windows 95, WIndows 98 and Windows ME on the one side; and Windows for Workgroups, Windows NT, and Windows 2000 on the other side. The two tracks were only semi-compatible. NT did not have the dlls to run games, media entertainment, and other consumer apps; 98 did not have the stability to run business apps all day without crashing.

XP put a temporary end to those days. Microsoft found it wasn't easy to advance beyond XP while maintaing that unity. Vista, anyone? Many business users decided to stick with XP. Now Microsoft is going with two families of hardware WITH different processors, different peripherals, and different operating systems. In the past, Microsoft had its hands full with two operating systems on the same processor.

The MacBook Air and the iPad have different processors, peripherals, and operating systems as well; however, Apple does not try to mislead anyone into believing that the two are software compatible. I have a suspicion that anyone who believes that Windows 8 RT and PRO will be compatible will be buying a bag of hurt.

25. Steve Martins

Promo video magtastic

Is it just me, or while watching the 'surface' promo video did anyone else get the impression that they're really excited about the fact that they've used magnets?

26. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Vapourware & Pre-Announcements

AD hits the nail, squarely on the head.

Samo, samo. Nothing ever changes in this crazy business.

An endless Groundhog Day loop of "smoke & mirrors".

I'm open to offers on my Fujitsu Stylistic 500 with Windows 3.1 plus AT&T EO440.

Cost an arm & a leg but never (or rarely) crashed.

27. pcsupport

You had my undivided attention until you started swearing.

Now you've lost any argument you care to make.

1. Alistair Dabbs
  28. Stephen Clifford

Announcments vs release dates?

Ok, so you criticise MS because they're announcing it this week with a (probably) actual launch date of Oct.

However, the first iPhone was announced in Jan 2007 - released in July that year.

The first iPad was announced Jan 2010 - released April 2010.

So, it's ok for Apple to announce things well in advance because they're, like, trendy, but oh no! Microsoft have to announce and release at the same time!

1. Alistair Dabbs

Re: Announcments vs release dates?

I don't remember saying anything about Apple's announcements, let alone that they were OK.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Announcments vs release dates?

If you scratch beneath the Surface, you may find that there's actually very little there!

29. Identity
    Mushroom

Does no one remember?

It was a business principle of Microsoft under Bill Gates to use FUD — fear, uncertainty and doubt. Someone would announce a product that might compete and MS would announce (but actually never produce) a better product: "Just wait for ours!" Remember Go Computing? There were even jokes about it. The was a problem with early PowerBooks catching fire and some wag said Microsoft's would not only catch fire, but would play the Star-Spangled Banner.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Lacking a physical product to test, all we can do is talk bollocks based on conjecture.

This, as you know, is my specialty."

LOL, one honest jurno!

31. P. Lee

Conundrum

MS' problem is that people expect Office on a tablet but they certainly aren't going to pay full price for it.

So how do you stop companies using them as cheap (possibly remote) desktops? You could tie the tablet Office license to a full-blown Office license but that would kill the home market. "Free for non-commercial use" perhaps, or hobbled?

My guess is that for business use, people don't use tablets much (though they do want work email/calendar on a phone however so they can be reminded of things on the road or while walking to an appointment). If I were MS, I'd be pushing pc with a hi-res detachable screen and a teeny tiny atom inside. Sell that as a work laptop and users can take it home in the evening (perhaps just the screen) and have their tablet for free. Metro+free probably trumps ipad+expensive for most people.

If its the screen and battery which is expensive, re-use your work pc for that bit and get it for free. Beats BYOD for the company and beats paying out for an ipad for the employee.

1. Richard Plinston

Re: Conundrum

> Sell that as a work laptop and users can take it home in the evening (perhaps just the screen) and have their tablet for free. Metro+free probably trumps ipad+expensive for most people.

Why do you think that it would be 'for free'. A touch screen is more expensive, a separate 'screen + atom' that separates from the base would be even more expensive. Microsoft would want two licences as there are two CPUs which would operate as separate devices.

Anyway most work computers that I come across are >20", I have 24". Not useful as a tablet, or for Metro. The reason that Surface has a keyboard is that most Windows x86 software is usable primarily with a keyboard and mouse, not with touch.

You could do well in the marketing dept at Microsoft, no worse than the current lot.

32. JeffyPooh
    Pint

We need a new name for large tablets with keyboards...

We need a new name for large tablets with keyboards; to distinguish them from smaller form factor tablets without keyboards.

How about the name "laptop"?

Any objections?

1. Richard Plinston

Re: We need a new name for large tablets with keyboards...

> How about the name "laptop"?

> Any objections?

Yes, The Surface devices will never be suitable for your lap. The distribution of weight is wrong, the stand is unworkable and the keyboard attachment is floppy.

'Tabletop' perhaps.

33. sleepy

No way does this ship in October

Download the spec sheet. Practically everything is undefined (including weight, thickness, screen resolution, battery life, price, included features. There is not a single photo of the product on surface.com. No wireless features are specified (apart from the fact it has an aerial). The video out port is a file format, and the screen technology is a software text rendering system.

In short, it's gibberish. This is just MIcrosoft yet again pretending its monopoly is something else. Trouble is, the client device monopoly is long gone. What Disty or retailer is going to buy this after Zune, and the RIM and HP tablet experiences?

Microsoft has had a good run with client computing, but this is just a remake of the last scene with Ballmer as Thelma and Sinofski as Louise.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What?

"After all, what does the word 'pod' have to do with playing MP3 files?"

And I think you're done. Hit the lights on the way out, and don't forget to hand in your keys - you won't be coming back.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like