back to article Chick-lit naughty girl MP Mensch starts own web-jabber service

You read it here first, courtesy of our top Shoreditch-'til-I-die columnist Steve Bong: Tory chick-lit MP Louise Mensch - a serial user of Twitter - has now launched her own chatroom-cum-microblogging service. Menshn.com - pronounced "Mention" - is intended for political debate. To begin with it's only available in America and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anomynous Coward

Unmensch

<al murray>Not news!</al murray>

2. It wasnt me
    Happy

Hmmm..

I thought "What a load of crap" until I heard that that pie munching thuggish fat c&*t prescott didnt like it. Now im inclined to think she might be on to something.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hmmm..

I always thought two jags was one of the better politicians of the last government. Not all of his policies were insane and he did punch that self righteous welsh bloke.

That I can say that about Prescott says even more about New Labour though...

1. Hyphen

Re: Hmmm..

"I always thought two jags was one of the better politicians of the last government."

Agreed, he's a straight talking Northerner who likes his food, and I can relate to that!!

Oh, and I'm actually one of about 8 people in the UK who was a supporter of the M4 bus lane - see http://www.cbrd.co.uk/indepth/m4buslane/ for why it works.

<runs away>

3. Annihilator
    Facepalm

Killer feature

You missed her killer feature - it's limited to 180 characters so is 40 characters "better" than Twitter!!! And you can do topics!!

I'm considering upping the ante and launching a site where I can have topics and *infinite* characters available, it's the future I tells ya! I'm thinking about calling it 5chan.

4. Rory Wilson

Mensh - meaning a person of integrity and honour

... and the site will presumably be bought by Rupert Murdoch in a few months time

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Mensh - meaning a person of integrity and honour

You are apparently unaware that Louse Mensch was leading the attack on Murdoch in the inquiry. She was nicely and calmly taking him apart until some absolute loser got in and disrupted the procedings by hurling a pie at Murdoch Snr. That idiot might as well have been paid by the Murdochs for the way he diverted the media from what was actually being said onto his stupid antics instead.

Louse Mensch is one of the few good Tories. I wish we had a dozen of her in politics.

5. SJRulez
    Thumb Up

Ban politicans on twitter

Well I'm all for it if they ban politicians from Twitter and move them all on to that site, at least all the bullshit will be in one place and we wont see anymore immature twitter wars between Ken and Boris.

1. DJV Silver badge
      Go

Re: Ban politicans on twitter

Agreed, but let's take it a bit further and ban politicians from the whole planet instead - they can have one of the icy bits of crap out in the Oort cloud.

1. Darryl
        Trollface

Re: Ban politicans on twitter

Or better yet, ban Twitter!

6. SteveK

According to the BBC article on this, "When new members join they gain 100 randomly selected subscribers, equivalent to Twitter followers."

So you don't get to choose whose waffle you get to see, it's randomly selected for you and (assuming you can) you have to go and unselect those 100 random irrelevant accounts?

Sounds a bit ... odd

1. Rameses Niblick the Third (KKWWMT)

I got the impression that when you sign up, 100 people get automatically signed up to follow you. Which means at any point, you could find your account signed up to follow ANY random fuckwit.

Either way, it sounds shit.

2. The BigYin

That's right, you get to choose the correct waffle that you need to hear. As a mere member of the USA public, you are not nearly smart enough to know which waffle to listen to.

And I wonder how random "randomly" actually is.

Still, stay on message! Report the party line, not the truth!

3. h4rm0ny

"So you don't get to choose whose waffle you get to see, it's randomly selected for you and (assuming you can) you have to go and unselect those 100 random irrelevant accounts?"

I'm beginning to think random assignment is the only way to stop people just gravitating to forums where they get to smugly hear and repeat what they already believe ad infinitem.

7. Annihilator

Police control

Given her track record, she'll be all for it being taken down during times of unrest I presume. Much like she thought about Twitter and BBM during the 2011 riots.

8. Nick Kew

Catching up?

Doesn't every Comp.Sci student since the birth of the Web hack up something like that? It's kind-of how I got started in Web development in 1995: although I wasn't a student, it was the same learning exercise.

9. Crisp

Wow! Yet another social messaging site.

Where does Louise Mensch get her ideas from?

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Facepalm

Re: Wow! Yet another social messaging site.

Same place all the other utter arsehats get theirs it seems......

10. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Down

Impartiality

Not sure if I'd trust a political discussion site run by a hardcore conservative to be unbiased.

I'd suggest using the BBC forums instead, but in an overenthusiastic attempt to be completely unbiased, they tend to censor any political discussion completely.

1. Fibbles

Re: Impartiality

Have you actually read anything on the BBC forums? There's no real discussion, just the same old crap repeated again and again. I honestly thought it was a parody of political stereotypes the first time I ventured into a HYS topic.

11. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Chris Miller

Re: Oww it burns!

I want nothing to do with #prezsez, but I like the sound of #fatwat

12. Tommy Pock

Gosh

Twitter's been really quiet since Mensch's new site opened, hasn't it?

13. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Joke

Surely time to remind reg readers of

this absolute classic. And for newer readers to have a laugh ...

"Congratualtions, you have just invented Twitter"

14. ducatis'r us
    Devil

sheer unaulterated brilliance

I know there is a link to the original Reg story but let's hope Menshn.com lives up to this:

http://menschbozier.tumblr.com/

BTW I think Luke Bozier is Steve Bong's pen name

15. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

I'm so ronery, so ronery....

This will end well. She'll end up talking to herself and 10 sock puppet accounts run by her interns.

Still if it keeps her off Twitter it can only be a good thing.

16. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    WTF?

Hmmm

I had to actually look up "chick-lit" in the Googleictionary.

Don't know what to conclude from that.

"With all the great political forums out there, we noticed that there was no place to talk about politics live"

People don't know about TV and talkradio any longer? Are things looking up??

1. TheOtherHobbes

I think

'chick-twit' fits better.

17. Mage Silver badge

Oh I don't know

Why should we have only one Facebook and one Twitter?

Lots of people run discussion forums, mostly a saner, web based version of Usenet, but with better interface, search and prettier.

Why shouldn't people set up their own Wikis, Twits and Graffiti covered "walls" with privacy that equals FaceGoo+... Just like the "popular" ones no-one will make you use them.

There are PLENTY of places to talk about Politics Live though.

18. Irongut

no place to talk about politics live?

You could always try the pub or the watercooler at work.

19. Ocular Sinister
    Joke

Pronounced Mention...

...or Menschen?

Bloody Germans getting the nose in again...

20. NX1977
    Megaphone

useless MP

Appears to spend more time on her books and her media career than serving her constituents.

Add this to the pile of stuff she's done OTHER than her real job as an MP.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

! You read it here first

"Posted in Government, 20th June 2012 11:44 GMT

You read it here first"

i.e. Register @ 12:44 BST

Try -

BBC - Last updated - 20th June 2012 10:15,

or even -

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 19 June 2012 18.08 BST

22. dephormation.org.uk
    Coat